Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s awesome! Don’t get any better :)

Well new firewood tool came in the mail today View attachment 800108 Love this thing! Sure is handy. Perfect length for picking splits off the ground without bending over. Works great for pulling rounds out of the pickup or trailer too. Nice and light. Sure like this forum, have gained a lot of knowledge from here for making firewood easier and more enjoyable, and found some good friends too.
Congrats on the new axe, I like mine.
I was just thinking today as I pulled into the house that I need to split some more cherry up with it.

I like the little box there too :eek:, husky flippys FTW :rock:.

Congrats on the new axe, I like mine.
I was just thinking today as I pulled into the house that I need to split some more cherry up with it.

I like the little box there too :eek:, husky flippys FTW :rock:.
Thanks buddy, I probably won’t be doing much splitting with it though;), lol.
That’s funny, I figured you’d notice the caps, new flip floppies for the leaky 462:rolleyes:.

Just in case someone is interested in scrounging this.... Taking that beast down is above my ability.

It’s south of Battle Creek Mi if anyone is in the area.

Travis

277e0d542d2ef6faa577f4101199d0b9.jpg
736d1f3dea6eb0db6f79cc0cea6ad785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Travis welcome to AS.
That looks like a fun one.
As was said, how many nails are in that thing, and how much metal?
@cuinrearview may be willing to help dice it up, but I'm not sure he'd want to drop it.
Whoever does will have to commit and go for it, no room for second guessing it.
I see your from galesburg, is that where the tree is at?

Just in case someone is interested in scrounging this.... Taking that beast down is above my ability.

It’s south of Battle Creek Mi if anyone is in the area.

Travis

277e0d542d2ef6faa577f4101199d0b9.jpg
736d1f3dea6eb0db6f79cc0cea6ad785.jpg

Hmm, off to google maps...

View attachment 800462 I’m usually good at wood ID. What is this?

It looks there there is another one standing in the background. I’d ask for a pic of the leaves.

I agree with another brother that it looks like some soft of Maple. But, I’m far from an expert.

Actually, it looks like an Elm :laughing:

I had the same exhaust set up on one of my 390s, but it did not sound the same.

That 390 was even faster than the 427, but when I got on the 427 people who I did not even know would come up to me and tell me how awesome the car sounded (sometimes weeks later). Don't remember anyone telling me that about the 390 (they just said it was fast!).

Gotta run, I'm out for the day.

Any hydraulics guys in here? My splitter is leaking at the control valve (or whatever it is actually called). I loaned it out to the FIL a few years back, only to find they took it apart for some reason. Well, it has leaked since, but now it’s leaking bad. Like a quart of fluid while splitting up 2-3 trailer loads of wood.

I tried some RTV silicone, but it didn’t do squat.

It seems to leak worst when running the ram in reverse to back it off.

Get a new valve , they're cheapish .
If that’s the best Avenue, I’ll take it. The splitter has been used for a long time, it was my grandpa’s that he gave to me before he passed away. It is a damn good machine, and has always been good to is. I replaced the motor this year with a brand new Briggs. So I’d like to keep this thing going as long as I can.

Hey Travis welcome to AS.
That looks like a fun one.
As was said, how many nails are in that thing, and how much metal?
@cuinrearview may be willing to help dice it up, but I'm not sure he'd want to drop it.
Whoever does will have to commit and go for it, no room for second guessing it.
I see your from galesburg, is that where the tree is at?

I have no idea how much metal might be in that tree. I was headed home from a firewood cutting session at my parents farm and happened across this monster. It is located south of Battle Creek in East Leroy near the corner of K Drive S and 3 mile road (I think. Either 3 or 3 1/2).

Yes, I am located south of Galesburg.

Travis

I have no idea how much metal might be in that tree. I was headed home from a firewood cutting session at my parents farm and happened across this monster. It is located south of Battle Creek in East Leroy near the corner of K Drive S and 3 mile road (I think. Either 3 or 3 1/2).

Yes, I am located south of Galesburg.

Travis

Good morning.
Reminded me of a spot off m-99 near Litchfield.

You have an eye for detail, and what’s in the background :numberone: well at least one good eye anyway;)...here’s a better pic of my new “axe”View attachment 800562:ices_rofl:
Just giving you a hard time buddy:cheers:
:laughing:
Guess thats what I get for laughing at the flippys, I'm still laughing though :yes:. I just replaced one on my 440, so I'm partiality laughing at you and partially with you. The good thing is a I didn't get oil dumped on my leg this time. I must be using them wrong since they are leaking :laugh:.
Thats a nice pick, you should get two for ice climbing out there :happy:. Id like one of those, its great when the kids are there to be my pickeroos lol.
Have a great day bud.

Any hydraulics guys in here? My splitter is leaking at the control valve (or whatever it is actually called). I loaned it out to the FIL a few years back, only to find they took it apart for some reason. Well, it has leaked since, but now it’s leaking bad. Like a quart of fluid while splitting up 2-3 trailer loads of wood.

I tried some RTV silicone, but it didn’t do squat.

It seems to leak worst when running the ram in reverse to back it off.
Probably an o-ring. Pull the spool out and look. As mentioned, valves aren't super expensive but o-rings are cheaper. Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back