Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the airport today to complete my 'TSA Pre' thing. Wife said it took her 2 hours a while back. Walked right through the place (except for normal screening). Not like what they are showing on television for folks trying to fly TO here.

Philbert
What's that?

Got the front row of the woodshed filled to about 6' today(so I have a full cord for 2021-22). I'm going to start filling the middle row a little higher and then the back row and I'll just use the row that's on the outside wall, it's just under a face cord. The weather looks like I can take care of more wood til Thursday when the rain is supposed to come.
Got a couple more gallons of bar oil so I don't have to use waste oil for a while :rock:.

The think where you pay $85 for 5 years to let you wear your shoes when you go through screening at the airport.
Worth it if you fly a lot. I have some travel coming up and my wife told me to get it.

Philbert
Never heard of that one.
Since I have a cdl I already have the enhanced license you need to fly, I've had that for yrs now since I new I was going to Canada for a marriage retreat(no passport needed with it for Canada). I know many have had a difficult time getting the enhanced license.

Went out to Mitch's today to pick up the rest of those candlebark splits from Sunday.

17th Mar 3.jpg

17th Mar 2.jpg

A bit under a cube (which itself is a bit under a face cord). Nice wood though, burns very nicely.

17th Mar 1.jpg

Look, you'd hardly know I had been there. Farmer Mitch has some more for me tomorrow...pics to come. (Not looking at you @LondonNeil , but wtf, where's the pics? Surely there's no point in scrounging if you don't post the pics on the interweb??)

Sorry, all. It's just that all the shelves in our supermarkets are bare apart from the booze aisle. Which is the most important one :numberone: . It is going to take a lot of scrounging to cope with the coronavirus. And also, a lot of rehydration :givebeer: . Scrounge on, gentlemen.

Went out to Mitch's today to pick up the rest of those candlebark splits from Sunday.

View attachment 807752

View attachment 807754

A bit under a cube (which itself is a bit under a face cord). Nice wood though, burns very nicely.

View attachment 807753

Look, you'd hardly know I had been there. Farmer Mitch has some more for me tomorrow...pics to come. (Not looking at you @LondonNeil , but wtf, where's the pics? Surely there's no point in scrounging if you don't post the pics on the interweb??)

Sorry, all. It's just that all the shelves in our supermarkets are bare apart from the booze aisle. Which is the most important one :numberone: . It is going to take a lot of scrounging to cope with the coronavirus. And also, a lot of rehydration :givebeer: . Scrounge on, gentlemen.
They just shut down all the liquor stores in Pennsylvania...luckily I stockpile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We only get these little guys around here. If we had greys I’d be hunting them like crazy.
View attachment 807662View attachment 807663
I have lots of big grays in the backyard...parents have fox squirrels started in their neck of the woods.

Also have groundhogs...people pay lots of money for grass fed beef, grass fed rodent isn't bad either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

London largely lockdown at last.... Although schools still open (wtf!). The theory is with schools off the super spreaders infection vectors, aka kids, will be in grand parent day care for many that need to work away from home.... Putting the most vulnerable at risk. I get the theory, but ...!!

Entertainment wise I've plenty of cutting and splitting to do, so long as I can buy some fresh fuel. Pics will come shortly cowboy.
I've managed to move the disorganized heap on the front lawn to a slightly organized pile in the front and another at the back, between rain showers and screams from the 4 and 2 year old girls going stir crazy already.... Wife is giving me 'looks' as it is so I need to be careful..... But I'll get some photos.

oh yes, UK is also advising pregnant women to social distance.... Given their hormonally disturbed behaviour that advice should have come years ago!

Do you spray it down, or brush it on, what type of oil.

My guy sprays it on. He heats the oil up, then it comes out of a paint like gun in a mist. He used to mix STP with new motor oil, but a few years ago he switch to chainsaw bar oil. It wasn't any less expensive, but it saved him having to mix to get the consistency he wanted. He' an older guy, and tries to simplify things now.

This past year, he only did two of the three vehicles. I think he was tired of doing the F350. So, a guy from work did it this last fall, using used motor oil. It stunk to high heaven. I think next time I'll take him chainsaw bar oil to use. He did a good job too, and probably put twice the oil on the truck than my original guy.
THey also drill holes in certain body panels to get the oil inside, then they pop in factory looking caps. I can get pics later if you'd like.

Back