Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 808961Social distancing. I'm doing my part.

You're getting maximum value out of that chain, James.

Went out to the farm again to socially distantly have another go at that big peppermint log. There is a big bulge with a hole in the middle of it so I was expecting that as I closed in on it from either end, the rounds would deteriorate.

20th Mar 1.jpg

Yep. Meanwhile at the bigger end...

20th Mar 2.jpg

But there's stihl plenty of good wood if you split out the middle. This was two rounds worth of splits.

20th Mar 3.jpg

Who knows what horrors lurk in there.

20th Mar 4.jpg

Even though the rounds are ugly, the splits are nice and three rounds from the big end filled the bed of the Ranger.

20th Mar 5.jpg

I'm going to pile up all the crud from this log and the other ones in the immediate area then Mitch can torch the lot at his convenience.

20th Mar 6.jpg

Nice arvo out.

:)

Hey @SS396driver , it could be (possibly, maybe, yeah, probably, ok definitely) a scam but there's someone in HK selling gallon kits of epoxy (1/2 gallon each of resin and hardener) for under US$12 delivered. I've found Ebay/Paypal pretty good at giving refunds so I ordered one kit. Was only about 10 sold when I did so and now, 24hrs later, there's over 200 sold. That's plenty of refunds for Ebay before they pull the pin on that membership :)

If (ha) it happens to be legit and if there are any left if this first order comes through and I try it out, I'll buy another dozen at those prices.

We’ve taken the splitter along to deal with stuff like this, because of termites. Didn’t want to bring termites home, but didn’t want to pass up the wood either. That’s when we got it early enough that the termites were only in the middle.

Seems like you've had your share of break downs over there. Hope that's the end of it.
'

I also didn't mention that the truck, 89 F150 dropped the entire exhaust system while I was backing up to load. I suspected it needed fixing on my way down, Nice moderate "rumble" I may just leave it like it is, truck seemed to have more power with no exhaust.

Starting problem has been cured. They installed a button on the dash tat by-passes all that mickey mouse starter problem. Probably be awhile before I trust it again.

We’ve taken the splitter along to deal with stuff like this, because of termites. Didn’t want to bring termites home, but didn’t want to pass up the wood either. That’s when we got it early enough that the termites were only in the middle.

I had a client who was a pest controller and I picked his brain about various pests. He said that cut and split wood that has termites in it that you bring home doesn't lead to termite infestation. He said that termites need three things - food (wood in this case), moisture and high carbon dioxide levels. Well, they have food, but wood that is split and stored under cover will dry out, and with the nest destroyed the carbon dioxide levels drop so they perish in a short time. So that is reassuring.

We have a particular species of ant called meat ants. A bit under half an inch long with black bodies and reddish brown heads. They bite but don't cause a reaction generally. But one of their favourite foods is termite. They are sensitive to vibration and we have two meat ant nests at our place. I think that they sense trees coming down and then go out to hunt the termites that weakened the tree. If I bring home wood with termites in it I will split it 5-10 metres from the nest and when they feel the impact of the Fiskars on rounds they all come running. They pick out all the termites from the wood and carry them back to the nest. They leave me alone while this is happening, they are focussed on the whiteants. Very effective termite removalists. I could kill off the meat ants if I wanted to but keep them around since they do a good clean up job.

When I first started cutting firewood I unknowingly brought termites home, they went underground and made new homes. As far as I know they’re still there. A pest control guy told me they will stay in the wood pile as long as there is one, and not bother the house. That’s true too.

You're getting maximum value out of that chain, James.

Went out to the farm again to socially distantly have another go at that big peppermint log. There is a big bulge with a hole in the middle of it so I was expecting that as I closed in on it from either end, the rounds would deteriorate.

View attachment 809011

Yep. Meanwhile at the bigger end...

View attachment 809012

But there's stihl plenty of good wood if you split out the middle. This was two rounds worth of splits.

View attachment 809013

Who knows what horrors lurk in there.

View attachment 809014

Even though the rounds are ugly, the splits are nice and three rounds from the big end filled the bed of the Ranger.

View attachment 809015

I'm going to pile up all the crud from this log and the other ones in the immediate area then Mitch can torch the lot at his convenience.

View attachment 809017

Nice arvo out.

:)
That chains a play chain at this point. Those cutters would probably break off in any hard wood. I might try some other things with it file the rivets down and experiment with the rakers and chassis some. Save it for that fancy square wood that only shows up at GTGs.

Question for you fine gents.

What is a fair price for a near new looking “early KS 262xp”??

And, is there enough of a difference in a 262xp over a 254 to even own one? Found one on FB that looks brand new for $400 PHO.

Question for you fine gents.

What is a fair price for a near new looking “early KS 262xp”??

And, is there enough of a difference in a 262xp over a 254 to even own one? Found one on FB that looks brand new for $400 PHO.
That's pretty normal price for one on the forums if it still has the 87 carb as well. I sold a real nice standard 262xp for 250 not long ago and it was gone in a flash.
They will certainly outrun the 254. The 262xp is what the manufacture was looking at as a standard as well as the forum guys, they are strong saws with good rpm. The 357 hit the market and it was a strong saw, but it lacked the grunt of the 262xp. The downsides of the 262 are the same as with the 254; they suck fuel, poor anti vibe, front tensioner, one of the best things about them is the ease of working on them.
You can also use a 254 base gasket to replace the stock gasket on the 262 which tightens the squish up nicely without any worries of it being too tight, without a base gasket at all they are usually way too tight.
I prefer to run a 361 or a 357/359 or even the 562, I enjoy the side tensioners, way better fuel economy, and the better anti vibe they have.
Hope this helps.

That's pretty normal price for one on the forums if it still has the 87 carb as well. I sold a real nice standard 262xp for 250 not long ago and it was gone in a flash.
They will certainly outrun the 254. The 262xp is what the manufacture was looking at as a standard as well as the forum guys, they are strong saws with good rpm. The 357 hit the market and it was a strong saw, but it lacked the grunt of the 262xp. The downsides of the 262 are the same as with the 254; they suck fuel, poor anti vibe, front tensioner, one of the best things about them is the ease of working on them.
You can also use a 254 base gasket to replace the stock gasket on the 262 which tightens the squish up nicely without any worries of it being too tight, without a base gasket at all they are usually way too tight.
I prefer to run a 361 or a 357/359 or even the 562, I enjoy the side tensioners, way better fuel economy, and the better anti vibe they have.
Hope this helps.

It helps very much Sir! Thank you so much!

I’ll pass for now. $250 sounds a lot more appealing. $400 felt high to me.

Hey @SS396driver , it could be (possibly, maybe, yeah, probably, ok definitely) a scam but there's someone in HK selling gallon kits of epoxy (1/2 gallon each of resin and hardener) for under US$12 delivered. I've found Ebay/Paypal pretty good at giving refunds so I ordered one kit. Was only about 10 sold when I did so and now, 24hrs later, there's over 200 sold. That's plenty of refunds for Ebay before they pull the pin on that membership :)

If (ha) it happens to be legit and if there are any left if this first order comes through and I try it out, I'll buy another dozen at those prices.
That's cheap maybe to cheap . Let me know the outcome

That's cheap maybe to cheap . Let me know the outcome
From my experience by the time the outcome is known the deal or scam will be long gone.
Picture of the last deal that was too good to be true. Just like hooked on phonics, it worked for me :D.
IMG_20190304_161238593.jpg

It helps very much Sir! Thank you so much!

I’ll pass for now. $250 sounds a lot more appealing. $400 felt high to me.
Mine didn't have the KS cylinder or the hd87 carb, I've seen those carbs sell for well over 100. That being said I'm not running out to buy a 262 for 400 unless it's in near new or new condition as id rather have the other saws mentioned above and they can be bought for 400 or less quite easily.
You could always make him an offer.
If I was buying anything out your way it would be the jred sign for $20 :).

Mine didn't have the KS cylinder or the hd87 carb, I've seen those carbs sell for well over 100. That being said I'm not running out to buy a 262 for 400 unless it's in near new or new condition as id rather have the other saws mentioned above and they can be bought for 400 or less quite easily.
You could always make him an offer.
If I was buying anything out your way it would be the jred sign for $20 :).

You make some fine points sir.

I have all the saw that I “need”.... just might need to buy another 241 and 361 to have spares. You know the saying, “One is none, two is one”.

But if you buy huskys one is one and two is two:laughing:.
Ha!

I foresee more Huskies joining the ranks. A 372XP would be awesome, and the maybe a 300 series saw. Still trying to figure out there number/modeling system.
I’m not a fan of their newer stuff. They look too “futuristic”.
I like some of the Jreds too, some of which look really similar to huskies.

Back