Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
svk, just an fyi, back in the day they used to spread used motor oil on the roads here to keep dust down. Not legal anymore of course but lots of people still do it on their driveways. I get mine done with calcium and I'm sure someday someone will change that law too. And there are lots of places here that still oil cars as a business.

svk, just an fyi, back in the day they used to spread used motor oil on the roads here to keep dust down. Not legal anymore of course but lots of people still do it on their driveways. I get mine done with calcium and I'm sure someday someone will change that law too. And there are lots of places here that still oil cars as a business.
My neighbor used to do that on his driveway every summer. A farmer I knew would treat his fence poles to a few weeks in used motor oil before putting them in the ground. Lots of home made concoctions.

Again I'm not arguing with the effectiveness but with what we know about pollution it just doesn't seem like a wise choice with the quantity of treatment products out there.

Here's another concoction gem. A guy I knew built a log cabin. He's one of the cheapest guys I've ever met and didn't want to buy stain so he made his own wood preservative out of roofing tar cut with gasoline and mixed with oil. Not surprisingly turned the logs to a permanent dirty dark brown color. I guess different strokes for different folks....hope nobody has an open flame near the cabin.

I'm sorry guys, I forgot to attach the pics that go along with my post #5173, so here they are: (Siamesing saws to fit in the tool box)

Also, GE used to spray PCB Contaminated Oil on dirt roads in the Albany area to keep the dust down! Talk about "bringing good things to life"!!!

And I get a kick out of the fact that they can build the best jet engine, but they can't figure out a way to get the PCBs out of the Hudson w/o making the problem worse!

Attachments

• Saw2015-01-19 001.jpg
    Saw2015-01-19 001.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Saw2015-01-19 002.jpg
    Saw2015-01-19 002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Saw2015-01-19 003.jpg
    Saw2015-01-19 003.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 59
I've tried to leave several easy ways out of an argument but you just seem to want to do battle over undercoating. I don't get it.

I'll stick to what I use unless the product proves bad. I have used what you use and I don't believe it's the best choice for a number of reasons. It certainly isn't the best choice for the fleet of vehicles I'm responsible for. I have used what you like on numerous personal vehicles and it did prevent rust but it had to be renewed annually to remain effective. The truck in my picture is not at fault for oil not being visible on the frame two years after I stopped undercoating. You can't blame the truck for the oil not being there. It also is not one of the recall trucks. The rust in the pictures is due to whatever it is that made Toyotas rust before the lawsuit.

I do not expect any coating to last forever. I have proven to myself time and again that in this area oil needs to be reapplied annually. I have swapped stories with others who have found the same. The FF we've applied appears to be working for a second year both on the buses and on my personal vehicles. Right now I'm sticking with it. You have had different experiences. With all the variables we're not discussing, continued conversation is about as effective as the EPA stove rants.
:clap::clap::clap:

Now, back to scrounging!

Does anyone else ever drive by a roll off canister at a construction site and think "hmm. I wonder if there's anything good in there?"

SVK... I just gave up entirely. No need to make everyone else wade through that.

Now for something to do between scrounges. I need to build a rack to store my saws. I remember seeing a thread here by a guy that built a nice little storage rack with saws on either side of a central pole in a house or garage. Maybe the photo was taken next to a window... does that ring any bells for anyone?

Right. For something to do between scrounges I need to build a rack to store my saws. I remember seeing a thread here by a guy that built a nice little storage rack with saws on either side of a central pole in a house or garage. Maybe the photo was taken next to a window... does that ring any bells for anyone?
Maybe cantoo?

My next scrounge. The old girl is being removed by the the Tree Care crew who does the trimming for the power company. They chip all the small branches and are leaving me everything from 3 inches on up. Dropped and stacked right on the front lawn. May have to put out a guard dog as they are trimming the whole road, and piles of wood within easy reach, go quickly.The bucket guy told me that while they were eating lunch, down the street, people were stopping and loading up with wood right off the neighbors lawns. I guess some guy's figure any wood laying beside the road is fair game, and didn't even bother to ask permission from the land owner. A lot of people don't realize that the wood belongs to the homeowner, even though the tree company cuts it. No quicker way to spoil it for everyone else than just helping yourself with out asking first. It is considered theft, and subject to criminal prosecution. Never assume it's ok to take wood, always ask first. That wood can get pretty expensive if you choose not to.

010.JPG

@SteveSS did you buy the Makita with BBK and HD air filter? I'm curious how it competes with you Stihls on your scrounging expeditions.
Yep. I bought it. Still waiting on it to make it's appearance on my door step though. I'm getting excited to pull the cord on it and see how she runs. It will no doubt, run circles around my little ms271. I'm hoping that it get's here by Friday so I can take it to a charity cut on Saturday with the MO GTG guys.

That old sugar maple has been tapped for many,many years. There are old tap holes in it that are higher than I can reach.
I had dreams of giving sugaring a try in the spring this year, but after searching out my little plot of land, I've found just one tiny maple tree. I thought about planting a few, but I'll likely be dead before they start producing enough flow to bother with. I might have a look around dad's place to see if there are any over there. I love real maple syrup.

I had dreams of giving sugaring a try in the spring this year, but after searching out my little plot of land, I've found just one tiny maple tree. I thought about planting a few, but I'll likely be dead before they start producing enough flow to bother with. I might have a look around dad's place to see if there are any over there. I love real maple syrup.
Another thing I'd love to do. Know a guy from VT who makes about 1200 gallons of syrup a year. That's a lot of sap!

I've also tried birch syrup, that's really good also.

Really? I didn't realize you could do birch also. Mid-Missouri is loaded with birch trees on public land. I might have to try that. I've done a very small amount of study about sugaring, and everything that I read says you need 40 parts of sap to produce 1 part of finished syrup. 1200 gallons of syrup is a boat-load of sap for sure.

Recent scrounge score. Farmer dropping entire woods for fresh farm ground. Sad but easy cutting. forgot to add pictures of his other woods which are now stump piles and brush. One day I'm going to show up to cut and it will be dozed [emoji20]

862ebaa9c1c75bb8e2703a8b27547589.jpg

f2b88d9f68fd15b3349bb6ffcfa04705.jpg

fca7dc50f473374b5cc18a7eca03afd9.jpg

Really? I didn't realize you could do birch also. Mid-Missouri is loaded with birch trees on public land. I might have to try that. I've done a very small amount of study about sugaring, and everything that I read says you need 40 parts of sap to produce 1 part of finished syrup. 1200 gallons of syrup is a boat-load of sap for sure.
Give it a try! It's got a nice unique flavor. I do like birch beer also.

I'd think birch would probably take more sap per gallon of syrup as the sugar content is lower than sugar maple.

Back