Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a lot of catching up to do now that I am back amongst the living. I'll make this the update.

I was sitting around the house right after making the report fabout feeling lousy, phone rang and it was my doc ordering me to be in the ambulance he was sending and offf to the hopspital. Bottom line: He had prescribed a a sulfa drug for the minor leg infection I had. Turns out I am allergic to sulfas - it basically had killed my kidneys. Been in hospital on dialysis since above post and just released today. Kidn'ey's are back in operation and I should not need any more dialysis. I'm weak as a kitten but will be back on the saws before the week is out. Right now I don't think I could even pick up the 441.
I've got a few doc appointments in dthe morrning but expect to be standing at the vice sharpening chains in the afternoorn.

Ah, yes, I celebrated my 85th while watching a dialysis machine.

Get well sir! And dont over do it[emoji1303]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I've got a lot of catching up to do now that I am back amongst the living. I'll make this the update.

I was sitting around the house right after making the report fabout feeling lousy, phone rang and it was my doc ordering me to be in the ambulance he was sending and offf to the hopspital. Bottom line: He had prescribed a a sulfa drug for the minor leg infection I had. Turns out I am allergic to sulfas - it basically had killed my kidneys. Been in hospital on dialysis since above post and just released today. Kidn'ey's are back in operation and I should not need any more dialysis. I'm weak as a kitten but will be back on the saws before the week is out. Right now I don't think I could even pick up the 441.
I've got a few doc appointments in dthe morrning but expect to be standing at the vice sharpening chains in the afternoorn.

Ah, yes, I celebrated my 85th while watching a dialysis machine.
Glad you are back. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

AND a full tank of gas!

Philbert
go figure !! bought an extra 100 gallons of 87 oct for the tractor at 149.9, 2 days ago and now i seen on our local news 5 that gas is 99 cents in the cities??? so its getting closer to the 1929/30's depression as an equal dollar to cents for gas! food to be in short supply next with no new crops happening ! milk is being dumped in the "WIN"sconsin state..... better days to come . best to all!

My worker[emoji4]

d8eb149b4546b205124d39f09b06776f.jpg

This is his second one. He has a metal fab business. If your on Facebook he is Bacon Creek Metal. I’m sure he could help you out. Quite a bit of experience. Good luck on your project, that will be nice!

Thanks brother.

I looked up Bacon Creek Metal and didn’t see anything :(

View attachment 814637View attachment 814638
99% sure this is mulberry. But the barks a little odd and the color is dark compared to the highlighter yellow I'm used to. Could it be the elusive hedge?

Looks like stuff I cut/split that I thought was mulberry, then questioned my thoughts after seeing posts about black locust. I’m still pretty confident it’s mulberry. It’s seriously heavy wood.

Decided to try noodling the bigger rounds of beech and maple this year versus split with a maul, split vertically with the splitter or pick them up with the tractor bucket. Is it just me, or is this kinda' rough on chains?

I think noodling is easier on chain than cutting perpendicular to the grain like we usually do.

The chain is almost peeling the grains away from each other like peeling a banana instead of having to rip them in half.

Scrounge on guys!

Hey Neil. There's a bit of a question mark over whether we're stihl allowed to scrounge here, depending on whether it falls under the category of 'essential travel'. Sure, we'd all regard scrounge as essential for warming our families and posting pics on the internet and particularly when there won't be another person in miles (there might be goats, though :crazy2: ). However, being miles away from any other person is no excuse now.

Two stories in the news yesterday. A 17 year old learner driver getting a lesson in driving in the wet from her mother copped a $1650 fine for 'non-essential travel'. So the fact that they were not going to come into contact with anyone else was irrelevant. They were also too far from home to pretend they were going down to the shops for essential items. That's a nice little earner for the State.

You're allowed to exercise outside like riding your bike. However, you're apparently not allowed to drive your car with the bike on the back to a nicer spot and then ride your bike. A bloke got pinged yesterday down in Melbourne for that too. Cha-Ching!

Gotta find the money to pay those public service salaries somehow, I suppose. Having shut down most of the private sector, I guess I missed the announcement that Premier Dan the Man from Victoriastan voluntarily took a pay cut in solidarity with the private citizens whose livelihood he destroys and from whom he now extorts more money from for stupid reasons that have nothing to do with infection control. :mad:

Decided to try noodling the bigger rounds of beech and maple this year versus split with a maul, split vertically with the splitter or pick them up with the tractor bucket. Is it just me, or is this kinda' rough on chains?

I see it as putting more wear and tear on an expensive and finicky piece of equipment, instead of using the proper tool (hydraulic splitter). I only do it in the mountains when I didn’t bring the splitter, to get the logs loaded. Or with the weird grain that won’t split.

......HazMat responder for UPS and was certified in the use of SCBA equipment. I still have a duel cartridge respirator......
My understanding is the dual cartridge filters worn by hazmat etal are only acid/base or organic vapor cartridges and do nothing in the 0.1 micron filtration range. I could be wrong, just check yours out. I don't want you to get the false sense of security.

I see it as putting more wear and tear on an expensive and finicky piece of equipment, instead of using the proper tool (hydraulic splitter). I only do it in the mountains when I didn’t bring the splitter, to get the logs loaded. Or with the weird grain that won’t split.

Yes, I only noodle when I can't split by hand. Some noodles are useful as fire starter or in the garden but if you're doing lots of noodling you produce an awful lot of them, burning fuel and losing burnable BTUs from your firewood.

My understanding is the dual cartridge filters worn by hazmat etal are only acid/base or organic vapor cartridges and do nothing in the 0.1 micron filtration range. I could be wrong, just check yours out.
The 'durable', half-mask respirators, with cartridge filters, just filter out what the cartridges are designed for. Could be particulates. Could be organic vapors. Could be welding fumes. etc. Sometimes they are multi-hazard filters (e.g. particulates and organic vapors). If they are rated 'N95' they provide the same particulate protection as the 'single-use' / disposable N95 respirators ('masks'). ***Assumes that both styles are properly fit and worn.***

Philbert

if you're doing lots of noodling you produce an awful lot of them, burning fuel and losing burnable BTUs from your firewood.

I’ve thought that too, you’re turning some wood into chips. And it’s more expensive fuel than the splitter.

Back