Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well , signs work !

dOWB97L.jpg

Tv0OG9u.jpg

That's the VW that I had to drive around the other weekend .
Well, I guess that ending is OK, but I would have much more greatly enjoyed a story (and accompanying photos) of you unable to get around and towing it into the ditch, leaving it upside down and on fire...

The wife and kids tried to surprise me. I took a nap as my stomach was upset (leftover Frickers and Lay's Flaming Hot Dill pickle chips did not agree with it as a good lunch), and when I got up everyone was gone. Looked around and found them stacking wood.

It got too dark for a pic, will snag one in the morning. That pile went further than I expected, but was shy of filling the bay. One more good trailer load and I think she'll be full.

Well, I guess that ending is OK, but I would have much more greatly enjoyed a story (and accompanying photos) of you unable to get around and towing it into the ditch, leaving it upside down and on fire...

Now that's funny **** right there !
Thanks for a good laugh :)

Download speeds are restricted here now that every man and his dogs are online. @dancan, I've had to block the download of your images because while I'm sure they are as great as always, the file sizes are so large it's the only way I can get the page to load before the end of the current lockdown. It's most likely just our banana republic network providers throttling speeds to mask their abysmal lack of capex. Anyone else having trouble or just me down here ?

We've been lucky here but seeing issues on the telecom side , both landline and cell .

Well, did your tree guy bring you cherry? @farmer steve
View attachment 817419
Don't answer that - I really don't want to know that you got oak, cherry, and my beloved ash cut and delivered to you. You win. :yes:
I could have taken a good bit of cherry home today, but the neighbor burns too, so I diced it all up for him:chainsaw:. I left the lower split portion uncut and the stump, his dad does some carving and wanted them that way. We tried to save out a nice log, but it was cracked so they just had me cut it up too.
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 10.00.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-12 at 10.03.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-12 at 10.39.53 PM.png

Well, when I could not reach any of my Tax clients I needed to obtain more info from, so I played with some chainsaw carb … just could not help myself!

On my first attempt, I learned what not to do, but luckily the second attempt seems to have worked.

The first pic is a ZAMA made Walbro style carb stock (purchased from D Dave). The venture is a little smaller than the real Walbro carbs, but otherwise they work well. I'm pretty sure the tighter venture is limiting the RPMs of my Ported Asian 440 Big Bores.

On my first attempt, I opened up the venture approximately .025 and also tried to modify the fuel nozzle by slimming both sides - a mistake! The saw did not want to idle unless I made the Lo very rich. Then, when I tried to accelerate, it fell on it's face unless I richened up the Hi. When I richened the Hi it would not rev (was way too rich). Played with various tunes for a while, but it was a catch 22!

I did not realize (till I ground it) that the fuel delivery nozzle has a wider opening near the end, and a smaller opening higher up. By breaking through the walls of the wider opening, I screwed things up. I will likely try to file it down all the way across and see if I can save it, but for now I just pulled out another carb.

So on the next carb I just opened up the venture and left the fuel nozzle alone. It seems like I may have achieved success! The saw idled well, accelerated well and definitely hit higher RPMs than I did before.

I was stoked and ready to put it in some wood when the wife comes out yelling at me not to disturb everyone in the neighborhood with my saw on Easter! Women ... they don't understand anything that's important!

Hopefully I will get the time to put it in some wood tomorrow and see how it does. I'm optimistic, but know better than to make predictions before I actually test it! I modded a muffler once on a 660 and it piss revved fantastic, faster throttle response, higher RPMs, but when I put it in wood it fell on it's face!

Original Carb, 1st attempt, 2nd attempt.

Attached Files:

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_145203081_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200412_145203081_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200412_153007020.jpg
    IMG_20200412_153007020.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200412_170502529_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200412_170502529_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Ah yes! The old gear drive saws! Slow but one could really lean on them. I entered AF 1954 and at that time we had an old ex logger's Muckaluck gear drive. 21 years later and I discovered the gear drives had disappeared. First new saw was a Homelight 360 pro. What a revelation!!
20200320_165222.jpg20200320_165150.jpg
I got one of those. Pretty sure it needs the intake boot that's notorious for tareing but otherwise seems in good shape.

G'day scroungers, I went out to the farm again today. I must have overscrounged yesterday because the force was not with me today. Couldn't really be arsed. But the weather was good so I trooped out anyway. Here's what was left of the big blue gum log.

13th May 3.jpg

Loaded up first, and there's stihl more than half a danger ranger load left.

13th May 4.jpg

Then I went back to get that pic I promised @H-Ranch

13th May 5.jpg

I put the big cuts through the rest of the log, mindful of the dirt while the chain was sharp.

13th May 6.jpg

I chopped off the dirty bark on part of the log and cut through. There were a few escapees, but they didn't get far.

13th May 10.jpg

:)

I also had another log to deal with - the next log from the same tree. Mitch had put it next to the other slightly ratty peppermint log that I cut up last week.

13th May 7.jpg

Didn't take Limby long to work through that one.

13th May 9.jpg

There were some nice patterns in the fork at the top.

13th May 8.jpg

A nice afternoon's scrounge. I'm running out of logs to cut up here. A couple more then I'm done for the autumn ( :( ).

:)

Latest posts

Back