Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I skipped on a couple of chainsaw vids the other day and they mentioned "taking out the gullet". I have one of those Husqvarna file guides and the sideplate, top plate and corner of the cutters are razor sharp and the saw cuts fine but am I missing some sort of technique? He said the saw cut like 28% faster after the gullet was filed out. What are they talking about?

Lecky motors can have some scary torque but I'm not sure what cs options there are now. It used to be dolmar made some of the best ones. Maybe that's changed. Philbert might know.

Can't help on the tuning either sorry, as I have a hard time tuning my 7900 by ear, even when I fatten it and try sneaking up on the limiter.
Here's an option I just saw at the local hardware store, look at the size of that blade lol.
Pretty sure the safety police will be all over users for one handing it :laughing:.
$149 for it.
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 9.29.38 AM.png
They also had these there which surprised me, really like to try one.
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 9.32.16 AM.png
Crikey fellas. West Texas Intermediate oil closed at negative $37.63 a barrel. Good to see futures speculators getting burned.
Imagine that, paid 1.079 gal about 30 min for our house yesterday :clap:. It just went from 1.47 to 157 here in town :nofunny:, I'll just buy when I'm out and use the fuel I bought at the beginning of this fiasco for 1.37:rock:.
On the lakes shore 50 miles from our place it's at 1.00 a gal, this is just down the street from @Sandhill Crane place :hi:.
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 9.35.46 AM.png

I skipped on a couple of chainsaw vids the other day and they mentioned "taking out the gullet". I have one of those Husqvarna file guides and the sideplate, top plate and corner of the cutters are razor sharp and the saw cuts fine but am I missing some sort of technique? He said the saw cut like 28% faster after the gullet was filed out. What are they talking about?
Maybe you should go back and watch them.
I don't see cleaning the gullet out making them run 28% faster unless your gullet is sticking out pas the kerf of the cutter.
Here's a little picco chain that was okay sharp(from a sharpening company on a 192 rear handle I recently picked up.
I made a few changes to it including hogging the gullet out, if I use a smaller file to get more hook/sideplate angle it will cut faster yet since it was skipping across the wood in the last video, but the times without the mods would have been slower.
"sharp chain"

Look at the "sharp chain" and what I did to make it cut better.

Sharp chain.

With timing advance, similar times but much better acceleration.

Muffler mod and limiter removed off the high side. This saw would not turn below 13.6 before any of the mods the carb was so lean(this could burn up a saw), that's with it set in the richest setting up against the carb limiter. The times here are the same as with the sharp chain, but the wood is about a centimeter larger. It could be leaned out a little more and I will once I run a few tanks thru it, as is it cuts great for a wee little saw.

You've gotta love Ohio weather. Yesterday was long sleeve t-shirt weather, short sleeve if you were doing anything labor intensive. Today I need a light coat. Had to fire up the ole stove, as it was 62 in the house.

Enjoy the day gents!
8EECE383-50C7-4C4A-9130-E13928CB16F2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back