Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is probably beyond my pay grade! These are inlet 1", and the PL Premium and 3" deck screws hold them real nice!
Wish I still had the step by step pics I did of my M&T bench. First try and from a pile of slabs to sitting on it was four hours. No finish applied. To make the mortise I wratchet strapped the legs in place, up side down, on the floor. Traced both side of the legs onto the seat bottom. Then marked the legs where I wanted the tenon to stick out. Put the seat on saw horses and used a circular saw to make a plunge cut on the traced lines, long side. Worked the corners on the short side out with the DeWalt saw z all. Maybe ten minutes on each mortise. My slabs were 2 inch, so I drew a straight line 2 inches down on the leg, from edge to edge. Marked two up lines for the tenon. Cut them out with the DeWalt. Couple minutes with a hand rasp to fit the mortise to tenon. Easy Peasy. I’m going to switch over to my computer and see if I can find some pics.

I found two pics of the joints. They were very basic and easy to make. These were after the bench had set outside for several years and grayed out. I knocked it apart and sanded it down and put it back together. If you look at the end of the bench and tenon, you can see I left the natural check line on the tenon. When I put it back together I used a Black Walnut wedges to tighten it up.m Looking at the pics, I think this bench was 3" thick.
Ym5Dl3d.jpg

w3rSc3Z.jpg

jO9637p.jpg

I found two pics of the joints. They were very basic and easy to make. These were after the bench had set outside for several years and grayed out. I knocked it apart and sanded it down and put it back together. If you look at the end of the bench and tenon, you can see I left the natural check line on the tenon. When I put it back together I used a Black Walnut wedges to tighten it up.m Looking at the pics, I think this bench was 3" thick.
Ym5Dl3d.jpg
Curious how wide are your end pieces?

Curious how wide are your end pieces?
I think every thing was milled 3" and I didn't plane anything down, put together all rough cut. This was the very firs log I milled with the Granberg. It was a dead Tulip Poplar that fell across my inlaws back yard. When I opened it up the wood was full of dark green, bright yellow, and red. I thought it was all rotten and started cutting chunks off the end in the yard. I was amazed when red sawdust started coming out. The bench was beautiful when I first built it. Over the years it just rotted away.

Count how many turns it takes to run them all the way in?

Yes, and as was mentioned go gently. On most saws between 3/4 turn out and 1 + 1/2 turn out will provide the best results. Always note where it was, and try to determine if something does not seem right. When the little springs under the adjustment screws get old, they don't hold tune as well as they used to.

ALWAYS START RICH ON THE HI, as going lean can burn up your saw. Lean it 1/8 turn at a time till it does not break up when you are in the cut.

Move the low back and forth till you get a good idle.

Nice job Joe, I did it similarly, except only cut 1/2 way through after I traced my legs. Allows me to be sloppy with the saw marks on the underside and only chisel out what needs to be removed.

You did not use any wooded pegs to hold it in place?
Nice job Joe, I did it similarly, except only cut 1/2 way through after I traced my legs. Allows me to be sloppy with the saw marks on the underside and only chisel out what needs to be removed.

You did not use any wooded pegs to hold it in place?
Nothing to hold it together. After is sat on the patio, and I wanted to take it apart, I had to bang the heck out of it with a big rubber hammer, to knock it apart. When I knocked it apart I sanded it all down to get some of the old color back. I thought the sanding would make it loose, nope, still tight. When I put it back together I did put Black Walnut wedges in the natural cracks in the end of the tenons, but that was mostly for looks.

Back