Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, maybe I will, been looking at trucks quite a bit. Found a rust free 2000 f250 4dr with the v10 and just over 100k for a fair price, not sure I want to spend that much, so I may make a trip to Oregon and back, your right on the way lol.
The guy is using a 661 in their video isn't he?, seems like it would be pretty east to remove to sharpen or tighten the chain. Sorry if I'm ruining your plan for a new saw, that's not my intention :laughing:.
You gonna buy a 22" bar for it lol.
So are you supposed to mainly use it on smaller logs, or can you quarter saw larger logs?
There was a guy up here ho had one for like 1500, it included a very clean 066, I tried a few times to get the saw off him, to no avail.
Yeah I’ve seen a few nice V10’s for sale and thought about you, not bad prices, about 1/3 or less than they want for similar one with 7.3 dsl.
Very well could be, I could have easily missed it but ones I saw looked like 660’s to me. I’ll probably take wrap handle off 572 and use it sense it’s only saw we have without captive nuts, or my son has a 064 with half wrap too, has lots of hrs on it but would work. I’ll probably use the 28” bar I have for now;) lol. Sounds like you can cut up to 24” with it. Might have to brace saw tower though, noticed it flexes when saw is higher towards top in the video’s and looks like boards end up thicker on one side. Hopefully it will be here by next week and I’ll know more.
Great day with the granddaughter:)7C172AEF-8471-4457-953D-97E4879C2A97.jpeg

It does surprise me that, on here at least, it seems few guys share kit. I'd have thought things like a tractor, splitter and mill could be easily shared and worked much more cost effectively by neighbours or family ... Saws,... Maybe less so,.. To personal!

My father in law and I jointly own a splitter, and he's had one of my saws all spring. He uses my utility trailers whenever he wants. I'm currently overhauling an old junky hay wagon that's pretty much going to be his. When I need lumber, there's several thousand board feet of rough sawn in his barn, and I help myself. If I need to use one of his tractors, all I have to do is go get it. I'd bet a lot of guys on here do the same.

Thanks, maybe I will, been looking at trucks quite a bit. Found a rust free 2000 f250 4dr with the v10 and just over 100k for a fair price, not sure I want to spend that much, so I may make a trip to Oregon and back, your right on the way lol.
The guy is using a 661 in their video isn't he?, seems like it would be pretty east to remove to sharpen or tighten the chain. Sorry if I'm ruining your plan for a new saw, that's not my intention :laughing:.
You gonna buy a 22" bar for it lol.
So are you supposed to mainly use it on smaller logs, or can you quarter saw larger logs?
There was a guy up here ho had one for like 1500, it included a very clean 066, I tried a few times to get the saw off him, to no avail.

Better start stocking up on gas now while it's still cheap man! I've heard those V10's are really thirsty!

It does surprise me that, on here at least, it seems few guys share kit. I'd have thought things like a tractor, splitter and mill could be easily shared and worked much more cost effectively by neighbours or family ... Saws,... Maybe less so,.. To personal!
My father in law and I jointly own a splitter, and he's had one of my saws all spring. He uses my utility trailers whenever he wants. I'm currently overhauling an old junky hay wagon that's pretty much going to be his. When I need lumber, there's several thousand board feet of rough sawn in his barn, and I help myself. If I need to use one of his tractors, all I have to do is go get it. I'd bet a lot of guys on here do the same.
Was that way where I grew up, not so much here. Have a few friends that are that way. Sold a saw to a guy I’d only met once, he wanted to come get it on a day when I was going to be gone, I said I’d leave it in the wood shed with 3 different bars to choose from and said just leave cash where saw was, when I got home saw and one bar was gone and cash was there. People have borrowed stuff from me off and on, have always had stuff returned, so far, took few months sometimes though, lol.

So, last weekend was big sky Sunday
tD4zzZj.jpg

The temps been over freezing but some days have been not much over so the furnace still needs to be fed .
x7zsMN3.jpg

y07i0LA.jpg

Small wood and small splits have been working the best .
This weekend it rained and blew hard yesterday .
I had some wood that I cut last year behind a fellas garage , he called me yesterday to tell me that he finally got an excavator in so now I had access .
1jByfEc.jpg

2 rows of 24"
The best part
Ep243Mj.jpg

I cut , he ran the wheelbarrow and loaded the truck :)
I unloaded that at the "Undisclosed" location and brought back another load of smalls for the week .
jQEG7Cd.jpg

I'd have thought things like a tractor, splitter and mill could be easily shared and worked much more cost effectively by neighbours or family .

I used my uncles firewood trailer for a long time. When it needed tires, I went and paid for them. When the light wires were getting torn off because they were just loose wires passed through holes drilled in the frame, I installed flexible waterproof conduit. When the ramp wood broke out, I replaced it. So he owned the trailer, but I kept it going. He’s in his early eighties now, and can’t do firewood anymore. He sold me the trailer and splitter a couple years ago. Both for $800. He’s still welcome to use the trailer if he needs to move something. I did some more improvements on it last year.

Well, my old friend finally let go today, been with me for 25 years. Had done a bit of woodburner trench art on it. Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay. Made in Maine, I think.
I'll keep my eye out for a new handle to hang the head on and keep the old broken decorated handle behind the truck seat in case I have to bash someone's face in. :dumb:

20200510_180840.jpg

Have split six ute loads of rounds from the fenceline trees. About another six to go. This is the easiest splitting wood I've ever come across. The splitter often doesn't even realise it's hit wood. If ever I was to make a slip-on kindling box wedge/french fries type of wedge, this would be the wood to make kindling from. Will get some pics of the job once done but for now just a shot of the cascading Autumn colour we are trying to achieve on that hillside. Not a very good season here - just not cold enough, but it is showing some promise of being quite wonderful (for down here anyway) if we ever get the right weather to really set them off.

mildColour.jpg

Yeah I’ve seen a few nice V10’s for sale and thought about you, not bad prices, about 1/3 or less than they want for similar one with 7.3 dsl.
Very well could be, I could have easily missed it but ones I saw looked like 660’s to me. I’ll probably take wrap handle off 572 and use it sense it’s only saw we have without captive nuts, or my son has a 064 with half wrap too, has lots of hrs on it but would work. I’ll probably use the 28” bar I have for now;) lol. Sounds like you can cut up to 24” with it. Might have to brace saw tower though, noticed it flexes when saw is higher towards top in the video’s and looks like boards end up thicker on one side. Hopefully it will be here by next week and I’ll know more.
Great day with the granddaughter:)View attachment 826749
That's a great picture right there :).
I thought the ad said up to a 22" bar, maybe I was looking at a different model. That ole oh64 would do the job just fine I'd guess in softwood.
Yeah I've been looking at quite a few suburbans in Oregon of the 99 vintage with both the 350 and the 454, but the 00 f250 or 350 cant remember which is in exceptional shape even compared to "rigs" out west. I don't think I'll feel like it doesn't have enough power compared to the little 350 if I was to get it, but I'm not sure I am ready to spend quite so much on a vehicle, unless you want to buy some saws :innocent:. Keep an eye open, I need to do the research to make sure anything I was to buy out there I could get a permit to drive home without hassle or find out what the cost to ship it here would be.
Better start stocking up on gas now while it's still cheap man! I've heard those V10's are really thirsty!
No worse than the suburban I'm driving, it's thirsty, I don't normally need the calculator when I get 25 gallons I'm not usually far over 250 miles so...
Another nice thing is an oil change on a 6.8 is a lot cheaper than a 7.3, and all the 7.3 guys said "Amen", but you usually have to add oil to the 6.8's between oil changes at a rate of about 1 per 1000 miles from what I've read.
So I guess it was a carbon neutral day at the "Undisclosed" location Lol
Good thing, cause you were about ready to loose a couple of carbon points driving that beast :D.

That's a great picture right there :).
I thought the ad said up to a 22" bar, maybe I was looking at a different model. That ole oh64 would do the job just fine I'd guess in softwood.
Yeah I've been looking at quite a few suburbans in Oregon of the 99 vintage with both the 350 and the 454, but the 00 f250 or 350 cant remember which is in exceptional shape even compared to "rigs" out west. I don't think I'll feel like it doesn't have enough power compared to the little 350 if I was to get it, but I'm not sure I am ready to spend quite so much on a vehicle, unless you want to buy some saws :innocent:. Keep an eye open, I need to do the research to make sure anything I was to buy out there I could get a permit to drive home without hassle or find out what the cost to ship it here would be.

No worse than the suburban I'm driving, it's thirsty, I don't normally need the calculator when I get 25 gallons I'm not usually far over 250 miles so...
Another nice thing is an oil change on a 6.8 is a lot cheaper than a 7.3, and all the 7.3 guys said "Amen", but you usually have to add oil to the 6.8's between oil changes at a rate of about 1 per 1000 miles from what I've read.

Good thing, cause you were about ready to loose a couple of carbon points driving that beast :D.
Yeah your right ad says 22” bar but from what I understand there’s nothing to limit bar length, they recommend 22” bar and 14” cut max. Sounds like you can go quite a bit bigger but with lots of use with longer bars/bigger cuts they started having trouble with stuff breaking so they had to draw a line somewhere. Most of the stuff we cut will be 8-15” diameter so should be fine.
Good luck on your vehicle search, hope you find what your looking for. I’ll let you know if I see any good deals.
Went for a ride tonight on the moped, should have brought a saw20B35FED-BD90-4322-A8B1-49BFCD808158.jpeg
Wish I could get the pickup in there, nice dry red fir.

Attachments

• 229AEE0F-23F1-4028-9A3D-67E8AB68AFDE.jpeg
    229AEE0F-23F1-4028-9A3D-67E8AB68AFDE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I'll keep my eye out for a new handle to hang the head on and keep the old broken decorated handle behind the truck seat in case I have to bash someone's face in. :dumb:

When I was still single and in my early 20s we (my friends and I) had a lot of trouble with a motorcycle gang, and they actually murdered someone I went to Highschool with, so tensions were high. I kept the Rem 870 in the trunk of the Stang, and had a baseball bat behind the seat in case stuff got out of control.

I got pulled over by a State Trooper one night and he says "there is a baseball bat behind your seat". I replied, "Yea, and there is a baseball glove on the back seat". He looked back at me and said "Nice touch"!

We had several fights with the Huns, and one of them tried to stab me in the back after I'd beat the heck out of him, but luckily another one of them (who went to school with me) grabbed him and stopped him.

After the murder law enforcement cracked down on them heavily, and they gradually disappeared.

Yeah your right ad says 22” bar but from what I understand there’s nothing to limit bar length, they recommend 22” bar and 14” cut max. Sounds like you can go quite a bit bigger but with lots of use with longer bars/bigger cuts they started having trouble with stuff breaking so they had to draw a line somewhere. Most of the stuff we cut will be 8-15” diameter so should be fine.
Good luck on your vehicle search, hope you find what your looking for. I’ll let you know if I see any good deals.
Went for a ride tonight on the moped, should have brought a sawView attachment 826799
That makes sense, I thought the 22" was an odd number myself, I don't have too many 22's around lol.

Looks like a nice night for a ride.
How come you're not showing use the video of what you did since you didn't have a saw along :cool:.

How come you're not showing use the video of what you did since you didn't have a saw along :cool:.

People have incriminated themselves like that on YouTube. I help clear 4WD trails, to get them open at the beginning of the season. The tracks we find going around gates, usually go around down trees too.

Went for a ride tonight on the moped, should have brought a sawView attachment 826799
Sweet singletrack! I cleared a fir about that size out of a trail last summer using a Silky folding saw. Took me forever and by the time I was finished I was too tired to ride anymore! Haha

Sweet singletrack! I cleared a fir about that size out of a trail last summer using a Silky folding saw. Took me forever and by the time I was finished I was too tired to ride anymore! Haha
Dang! Your tougher than me :oops: , I had a small folding saw with me but I wasn’t even going to try that one, lol. Might throw the 2511 in the pack tomorrow if I get off work soon enough and try to cut it out.

That makes sense, I thought the 22" was an odd number myself, I don't have too many 22's around lol.

Looks like a nice night for a ride.

Have to buy their bar if you want a 22”;) lol.
Yeah not that! I turned around, Lol, Dang those guys are crazy good! There was a video on FB tonight of a guy riding over that same tree though.

If I deliver from home, it is a shorter drive but I then need to drive into the next town to go to Walmart (ugh) for Mothers Day Dinner.

Didn't know they did Mothers Day dinners at Walmart. Wouldn't be my first choice either :laugh:

I can't wait until we start raising our own beef. If I could get these dang cows bred, we'd be on our way.

Shouldn't have got all boys, I suppose. :innocent:

I thought it would be pretty cool to remove them from the stove and then to be able to use them like charcoal or in the shoulder to put them back in the stove as a way to put out nice heat without much smoke. I just never got a grated scoop to get the coals out and leave the ash.

I have done a similar thing with burning the coals down and it does work - but I think that less dense wood might work better than what I have. I have - when wood was really scarce at our place - sifted out the ash using a wire basket to get the remaining charcoal to reintroduce to the stove later on. That also works well and you get a fair bit of heat out of the charcoal but it is a good idea to put in a small bit at a time (ask me how I found out). Put too much in at one time and you drop the heat in the stove a fair bit initially as, unlike wood, there are no volatiles to get flames and heat happening straight away. But once it gets going things can get scary hot.

I work in Electrophysiology (EP) - we put pacemakers in people (and defibrillators). It's not the spark that's the problem. It's the moving your arms around and hefting a chainsaw.

Thanks for that! I had been told repeatedly by pacemaker recipients that the spark was the problem but that never really made sense to me. What you say makes more sense and I was aware from treating shoulder patients with pacemakers that abduction past 90° wasn't a great idea for that reason. The Stihl manual says you're not meant to use a chainsaw above shoulder height anyway...

I have been reliably informed that there are two things you should never share with another man.

1) Your wife.
2) Your chainsaw.

:laugh:

When I was still single and in my early 20s we (my friends and I) had a lot of trouble with a motorcycle gang, and they actually murdered someone I went to Highschool with, so tensions were high. I kept the Rem 870 in the trunk of the Stang, and had a baseball bat behind the seat in case stuff got out of control.

I got pulled over by a State Trooper one night and he says "there is a baseball bat behind your seat". I replied, "Yea, and there is a baseball glove on the back seat". He looked back at me and said "Nice touch"!

We had several fights with the Huns, and one of them tried to stab me in the back after I'd beat the heck out of him, but luckily another one of them (who went to school with me) grabbed him and stopped him.

After the murder law enforcement cracked down on them heavily, and they gradually disappeared.
When I was in high school one of the big city gangs tried to get a footing in our town of 10k people. They actually had recruited a decent amount of kids until their gang leader picked a fight with the wrong kid. This fellow (also named Steve) absolutely kicked the gang leader’s ass in front of the whole gang. Best part was he was a fair skinned Irish kid with a big mop of curly red hair. The gang pretty much fell apart after that.

Latest posts

Back