Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't let a little thing like paternal concern stop me from rubbing it in. :laugh:
That's funny. I just texted this to my brother this weekend (He pulls the same kind of stuff on his kids):

The Legend That is Dad continues... I race the girls back to the house from outside chores (typically only when I know I can win.) Tonight one of them tried to race and I was carrying a bowl with 9 eggs, so CLEARLY could not race and explained that... until she turned her back on me, then I blew by her and won! Victory is mine!

My Daughter, who jogs and has done 1/2 Marathons was real surprised a year or two ago. We were on the bike path, I had the trailer with her daughter in the back, and she tried to pass me going up a hill. She was real surprised that I was still able to keep her at bay while pulling her daughter in the trailer!

I found this tree when I was hunting 4-5 years ago, it’s one of the biggest red fir I’ve seen dead or alive. My son likes cutting the big reds and hasn’t had the opportunity to cut one like this before so I told him when he moves back we will go cut it, yesterday was the day :) View attachment 833778Wish it was closer to the road but wouldn’t still be there if it wasView attachment 833779View attachment 833780View attachment 833782View attachment 833784
Cut and loaded about a 1/3 from the topView attachment 833785View attachment 833786Still working on a way to get the rest, if one of those rounds falls over from the base trying to roll it down the hill don’t think we can get it back up. Sure enjoy working with my son, was a great day!View attachment 833787

I like how the saw is levitating in pic #6.

How do you get the rounds out? Gravity? If so, what stops them from flying across the road?

My Daughter, who jogs and has done 1/2 Marathons was real surprised a year or two ago. We were on the bike path, I had the trailer with her daughter in the back, and she tried to pass me going up a hill. She was real surprised that I was still able to keep her at bay while pulling her daughter in the trailer!
We call that OMS

Old man strength

According to the NWS it is only 75 with 60 percent humidity. Feels a lot hotter and more humid.

Hauled two loads of brush and a load of trash to the dump for the Lions Club project. Came back and showered up and I shall hide in the AC till evening.

Have a 9# pork shoulder roast in the crock pot that I started at 6:30 this morning. Lotsa pulled pork for dinner.

According to the NWS it is only 75 with 60 percent humidity. Feels a lot hotter and more humid.

Hauled two loads of brush and a load of trash to the dump for the Lions Club project. Came back and showered up and I shall hide in the AC till evening.

Have a 9# pork shoulder roast in the crock pot that I started at 6:30 this morning. Lotsa pulled pork for dinner.
Sounds familiar. After being torched all day yesterday outside I got up early today to burn off a couple brush piles before our weather goes south and they get soaked with tons of expected rain. Tropical storm in NE Iowa? What next? Battening down the hatch's now for what is shaping up to be a couple days of hiding indoors cooking and reading. Pulled pork sounds perfect! Thanks for the idea.

Sounds familiar. After being torched all day yesterday outside I got up early today to burn off a couple brush piles before our weather goes south and they get soaked with tons of expected rain. Tropical storm in NE Iowa? What next? Battening down the hatch's now for what is shaping up to be a couple days of hiding indoors cooking and reading. Pulled pork sounds perfect! Thanks for the idea.
Our weather has been very polarized here all year!

Through January we were having one of the snowiest winters on record. I took the plow off the truck in the last week of January and never put it back on.
Then it was very warm from mid February to Mid March. Looking like a record early ice out.
Then the day that quarantine started it became cold and ended up being a late spring.
Finally got hot in mid May and all of the bug hatches are now 2-4 weeks ahead of schedule.
In the past week we have seen temps of nearly 90 down to high 30's.

This year is just bizarre all around!!!

Saw a big removal a few blocks away, while walking the dog. Not sure why they decided to swing the tree parts way high, over three houses, instead of going through the alley, but there may have been a good reason.

IMG_4605.jpg
Also like the log grapple on this Bobcat. Not something that I often see on a skid-steer:
IMG_4606.jpg

Philbert

Plans gone awry. Spent three days in the house due to wild, wild winds. Wx report for today was supposed to be "showers". Had planned to start on the load of maple logs the tree servicde dropped off a month ago. Nope. It's been sprinkling since I got up. I did get dressed, took garden tractor and wagon out to at least move some loads into the wood shed. Nope, too wet to suit me, made a loop arouind the pile and back in the house. Tomorrow, weather permitting (supposed to be dry) it is down to Tim's on the small locust clearance. I'll probably have to go back over what I did last time and cut the stumps down as low as possible without getting in the dirt.

I’ve been up working with the trees again. Cleaning up and burning branches and broken pieces, etc.
3FE47CF7-40EB-4656-A941-536A8A778AFB.jpeg

Also got the logs while at it. I need to focus on burning while it’s still permissible, so I only moved what was in the way.
DF55A3CC-D3D9-4C25-B46F-2ADCCF6E61BB.jpeg

Burn area at the end of the day. You can see the hose from the water trailer, it has a gas engine pump. I brought it to help keep the fire from getting out of control, if need be.
6E0499D2-780F-41C7-AEF3-AE7B7D62C3D4.jpeg

The water tank trailer yesterday morning, unusually cold for June.
FD783913-147E-4300-B87D-886E28F7F437.jpeg

Some more i cut up, there are some more branches back there I wanted to get to.
A3D392AA-0AF8-4DAA-A725-16CE73551C80.jpeg

Saw a big removal a few blocks away, while walking the dog. Not sure why they decided to swing the tree parts way high, over three houses, instead of going through the alley, but there may have been a good reason.

View attachment 834625
Also like the log grapple on this Bobcat. Not something that I often see on a skid-steer:
View attachment 834626

Philbert
Never look for a used truck in Mn. Check out the residual paint on the Bobcat! Guessing it was used for snow removal? Maybe placing salt:oops:

A lot of these I didn’t cut all the way through, to avoid running the bar into the dirt. I watch for the color change with the bark, but still don’t push my luck.
3575693D-0566-41FA-BD87-8916BAE2703C.jpeg

I came back with the loader and pushed to break them off, and managed to roll them for better access to what’s not cut yet. They wouldn’t budge by hand.
3AF3C415-75DC-4E28-9FBD-3F2E66F832B0.jpeg
09EABC27-07C3-4ECC-B5B6-946FB2E39EB3.jpeg

This is what I brought down, a mix of what was already cut and what I just cut.
156973AB-5C30-414A-BC30-81AA9D0BDB85.jpeg
17CFA3B4-837F-4F50-AC73-A8F8060F275F.jpeg

I used to build these when I lived in Mississippi.
ce7f9fdad1990ea7bf5f2682cbfd6ec8.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

My day started with my friend John calling me at 7:30 . Everybody knows I start moving at around 9 . But it seems the horse farm is making a new polo field . Need to clear a 200' by 400' area just for the field then some area for the stands Thing is BJ's is building a new store about 5 miles away and they started dumping tractor trailer loads every 20 minutes. So I'm clearing about 400 + trees in the next few weeks,Mostly white oaks , some are getting buried as I cant haul it out fast enough. All this and most likely 25 to 30 cord sitting in the woods from the loggers . Bringing my kubota to hasten up the removal of the wood . I have at least 4 loads sitting on the landing to get20200609_114337.jpg20200609_121710.jpg20200609_114339.jpg20200609_130206.jpg20200609_174744.jpg

Latest posts

Back