Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't split by hand as is?
When they sit in the round for more than a few weeks the end grain dries and they go from very pleasant to split to needing several blows to get them in half initially. The larger the round and the more time they sat in the sun, the worse it gets. I just noodle about halfway through each one to get things started. And I’ll noodle up the handful of crotch pieces too.

Plus noodling is fun and my 154 with skip is a champ at doing it.

Going forward I’m going to try and cut/split at the same time which is easier.

As it ended up I never split any wood last night. My wife and son arrived later than expected because his work went late then she cooked dinner (homemade triple meat lasagna-my request) and by the time we got done with dishes it was getting late. Guess everyone deserves a day off every now and then. Plus my arms still hurt from getting soaked in gasoline on Saturday as I was fixing the leaky fuel line on my truck. Won’t make that mistake again.

That’s all the wood we loaded there, there were some down the hill we wanted to get out of the way.
E6352118-0C4B-41A3-B897-4618F96610E4.jpeg

We pulled several logs out of the forest, and into the open where it’ll be easier to cut into logs. It was sloped where they were, plus there are tripping hazards there.
D1EA49D5-3104-4AAA-B5D5-7077E3281E53.jpeg

There was a big dead oak in the way, we cut and pulled down a portion of it. As old as it is I thought it would be rotten, but it was solid wood all the way through.
95A71CB1-C62E-45BB-AC92-46575C0C9435.jpeg

Here’s where the old oak came from, you can see the cut better if you zoom in.
BFE14303-ADCE-4DB5-85C2-C3450859C360.jpeg

There’s a seemingly endless amount of more like this. Some already down, and some still needing to come down.
4868528B-4087-4DA0-BF62-4BCA37C99C20.jpeg

That’s all the wood we loaded there, there were some down the hill we wanted to get out of the way.
View attachment 837607

We pulled several logs out of the forest, and into the open where it’ll be easier to cut into logs. It was sloped where they were, plus there are tripping hazards there.
View attachment 837608

There was a big dead oak in the way, we cut and pulled down a portion of it. As old as it is I thought it would be rotten, but it was solid wood all the way through.
View attachment 837609

Here’s where the old oak came from, you can see the cut better if you zoom in.
View attachment 837611

There’s a seemingly endless amount of more like this. Some already down, and some still needing to come down.
View attachment 837612
I love getting oak like that

Oh bother...
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned the public to immediately stop using hand sanitizer manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV because it contains methanol, a potentially deadly substance.

Those hand sanitizers are:

• All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
• Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
• CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
• Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
• The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
• CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
• CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
• CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
• Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)

Those who used these sanitizers are at risk of methanol poisoning, the agency said in a statement Friday. They should seek immediate medical treatment.

“Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death,” the statement said. “Although all persons using these products on their hands are at risk, young children who accidentally ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk for methanol poisoning.”

Exceptionally high R number, incurable, but thankfully I've never heard of a fatal case.

But I have heard about a few cases of CAD and heated discussions about "Divorce" but I think that the "Purse" or "Shoe" injection pulled them cases to the "Resolved" list .

I'm glad I reload!
When you get that 17HMR line up and running let me know lol.
I know I could do fine with a cheaper round, but these are very fun and the cost at a few shots a week isn't to bad, cheaper than a few shots of other things:drinking::lol:.
Relocated 2 chipmunks today with the 17 and one with the kids little 22 on the deck, too close for the 17, I'm not cleaning that mess up again o_O.

Whistle pig, wood chuck AKA ground hog is very good eatting. They are vegertarians ya know. Just remember when you clean them to remove the glands under the forearms.

I have a 22 hornet set up to shoot reduced loads for squirrels and such. speeds range from 1500 FPS 22LR area and 1800 FPS 22 mag speed area.
The 220 swift is fine for removing them from Soy Bean fields at any range over 25 yards too.

Groundhogs have musk glands in their armpits. YOU MUST REMOVE THESE IF YOU DON’T WANT TO THROW UP FROM THE STINK OF BRAISED MUSK GLANDS AS THEY BOIL AWAY!

Braised Groundhog Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 (5 to 6 pound) groundhog, cut into 6 serving pieces
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 3/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
  • 3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces
  • 2 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
Directions

1. Rinse the groundhog pieces, remove any fat, and cut out the glands underneath the front legs and armpits, then pat the meat dry. Season with 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
  2. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet, then brown the meat, in batches. This will take about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the meat to a medium heavy pot. Reserve the skillet.
  3. Add the broth to the pot.
  4. Pour off any fat from skillet, then add the onions, garlic, thyme, and 3 tablespoons butter and cook over medium heat, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until onions are softened. This will take about 5 minutes.

5. Add the wine and boil until the liquid is reduced by half. This will take about 8 minutes.
  6. Pour the mixture over the groundhog. Cover the pot and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Braise the groundhog until it is very tender. This will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  7. Transfer the groundhog to a serving dish and keep warm.
  8. Bring the liquid in the pot to a boil and reduce it to about 3 cups. This will take about 10 minutes. Whisk in the mustards. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, swirling the pot until incorporated. Season sauce with salt and pepper and pour over the groundhog.

Yes the other critters have to eat too. But don't give them whistle pig, fine fare for any human.

Give them Coyotes to fill their belly on.

Al

Whistle pig, wood chuck AKA ground hog is very good eatting. They are vegertarians ya know. Just remember when you clean them to remove the glands under the forearms.

I have a 22 hornet set up to shoot reduced loads for squirrels and such. speeds range from 1500 FPS 22LR area and 1800 FPS 22 mag speed area.
The 220 swift is fine for removing them from Soy Bean fields at any range over 25 yards too.

Groundhogs have musk glands in their armpits. YOU MUST REMOVE THESE IF YOU DON’T WANT TO THROW UP FROM THE STINK OF BRAISED MUSK GLANDS AS THEY BOIL AWAY!

Braised Groundhog Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 (5 to 6 pound) groundhog, cut into 6 serving pieces
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 3/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
  • 3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces
  • 2 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
Directions

1. Rinse the groundhog pieces, remove any fat, and cut out the glands underneath the front legs and armpits, then pat the meat dry. Season with 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
  2. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet, then brown the meat, in batches. This will take about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the meat to a medium heavy pot. Reserve the skillet.
  3. Add the broth to the pot.
  4. Pour off any fat from skillet, then add the onions, garlic, thyme, and 3 tablespoons butter and cook over medium heat, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until onions are softened. This will take about 5 minutes.

5. Add the wine and boil until the liquid is reduced by half. This will take about 8 minutes.
  6. Pour the mixture over the groundhog. Cover the pot and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Braise the groundhog until it is very tender. This will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  7. Transfer the groundhog to a serving dish and keep warm.
  8. Bring the liquid in the pot to a boil and reduce it to about 3 cups. This will take about 10 minutes. Whisk in the mustards. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, swirling the pot until incorporated. Season sauce with salt and pepper and pour over the groundhog.

Yes the other critters have to eat too. But don't give them whistle pig, fine fare for any human.

Give them Coyotes to fill their belly on.

Al
"5 to 6 pound groundhog"?!?!?! You guys got 50lb deer there also? Groundhogs here are like 20 pounds!

I feel like death warmed over. I feel like someone pulled me through a knot hole, tied the rope around my feet and pulled back through backwards. Went fishing yesterday in the Norfolk Canyon, about 70 miles offshore from Chincotegue Va. My buddy's wife and kids took his truck home so we had to use mine to put the boat in the water on the other side of the Island. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a pic of the little 2.7 F150 with a 26 foot, tri axle, Sea Cat on the back. If the wife says I can't get a boat because my truck won't pull it, I have proof it will. It had no trouble with the boat. Story of the trip is over on the boating/fishing thread.
VzeHFYJ.jpg

faE8PUw.jpg

Just in case you couldn't tell, I'm the fat guy on the left that looks like death warmed over.

I feel like death warmed over. I feel like someone pulled me through a knot hole, tied the rope around my feet and pulled back through backwards. Went fishing yesterday in the Norfolk Canyon, about 70 miles offshore from Chincotegue Va. My buddy's wife and kids took his truck home so we had to use mine to put the boat in the water on the other side of the Island. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a pic of the little 2.7 F150 with a 26 foot, tri axle, Sea Cat on the back. If the wife says I can't get a boat because my truck won't pull it, I have proof it will. It had no trouble with the boat. Story of the trip is over on the boating/fishing thread.
VzeHFYJ.jpg

faE8PUw.jpg

Just in case you couldn't tell, I'm the fat guy on the left that looks like death warmed over.
That's awesome Joe, not the feeling rough part, but getting some nice fish.
How did the truck do power wise pulling that beast of a boat :oops:, looks like it handles the weight fine.

Wow Joe, some nice fish! I presume Yellow Fin??? What did they weigh?

You did great! Tuna is the best!
Yes, Yellow fin. Weight, I'm guessing 30-40 pounds. We had 3 guys on the boat, 7 lines out. A school hit 5 of the 7 lines all at once, 4 tangled bad. Trying to get them untangled with out losing all of them, I wound up reeling in two as the guy on the other rod was just taking in the slack. So, it felt like two hundred pounds. We got the first one on board, got the next one untangled pretty quick and boated. One of the others shook the hook, one broke a line, and the third, biggest one, was up next to the boat, so I gaffed him.

Latest posts

Back