Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pic of the Red Oak bench that went to my Daughter's last week, and a pic of the little Chestnut Oak bench we re-finished on Monday.

All 3 Grandkids helped. The boys (11 + 13) helped with the sanding, using a belt sander, and my 5 year old Granddaughter brushed away the sawdust with a dust pan brush.

We stripped off the Semi Transparent stain that did not reveal much wood grain and replaced it with Spar Urethane. I think it looks much better!

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_160833491_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200621_160833491_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200624_143335827_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200624_143335827_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 24
Someone talk me off a ledge... $350 at my fav local dealer...

View attachment 837066View attachment 837067View attachment 837068

Brought this girl home today. Wow is all I gotta say. I think I just became a 346 fan boy.

Used it to fell a few small trees over in an area we're clearing for the cattle (well, they're helping us clear it). Had a couple old HVBW logs laying there that the previous owner must had piled up. I was very impressed. She's running an 18" .325, so I guess I'll get to try one on the Binford ;)

Hoping to touch the chain up, and cut some cookies this weekend, then I think I'll throw my 16" .325 on it.

A few years ago I was at the Range with my 220 Swift … and one starts walking across the field! Can't shoot them there … was very frustrating!
I had several times where I would hit the range to do an accuracy evaluation or sight in a rifle, and a woodchuck(s) would show up. I've killed a bunch out there. Last time I went, there were 5 red fox pups playing. I left them be, I like fox.

Thank you Brett for fixing my chain that I completely destroyed. Came out looking real nice! You saved more than I thought you could and its sharp as all get out!

I appreciate it sir!!

Im going to study how you ground this chain to see what i can learn.

FYI: you forgot to throw that big oak round on your trailer before you left[emoji23][emoji23]

And gosh dang thanks for the help too!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I had several times where I would hit the range to do an accuracy evaluation or sight in a rifle, and a woodchuck(s) would show up. I've killed a bunch out there. Last time I went, there were 5 red fox pups playing. I left them be, I like fox.
We have a range at our hunting camp. Can kill the piggy's that dig in the back stop. Kinda like whack a mole some times. I'll be taking my wife up next friday. Should be fun.

Brought this girl home today. Wow is all I gotta say. I think I just became a 346 fan boy.

Used it to fell a few small trees over in an area we're clearing for the cattle (well, they're helping us clear it). Had a couple old HVBW logs laying there that the previous owner must had piled up. I was very impressed. She's running an 18" .325, so I guess I'll get to try one on the Binford ;)

Hoping to touch the chain up, and cut some cookies this weekend, then I think I'll throw my 16" .325 on it.
Was that an OE or NE? Either way an awesome saw.

My other Daughter visited on Father's day, and now she wants a bench too, so I'm working on this Hickory one and it is kicking my A$$!

It has very unique live edge, which I'm trying to preserve, and sanding Hickory by hand is an exercise in frustration, even with 60 grit paper!

Since others have asked before, this is how I do a half round leg on a flat bench. (the bench is up side down in the pics).

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_165127263_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200625_165127263_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200625_165108628_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200625_165108628_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 29
Thank you Brett for fixing my chain that I completely destroyed. Came out looking real nice! You saved more than I thought you could and its sharp as all get out!

I appreciate it sir!!

Im going to study how you ground this chain to see what i can learn.

FYI: you forgot to throw that big oak round on your trailer before you left[emoji23][emoji23]

And gosh dang thanks for the help too!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
You're welcome :).
I ground it to remove the worst of the damage(which was a lot :surprised3:) and then hand filed it. Hopefully it cuts okay.

I'll swing back by and grab that round up, we can chunk it up with that fresh chain :p.

Glad you found that pin.
Thanks for the piccaroon :cheers:.

:happy:.
Congrats.
I've always considered the 254 to be like a big 346 as far as power and weight(obviously it came way before the 346)

A few years ago I was at the Range with my 220 Swift … and one starts walking across the field! Can't shoot them there … was very frustrating!
Wouldn't that have been blowing them up though lol.
I got my new rounds yesterday, had to try out a few of them, although it was on a lot, not a whistle pig. They look real nice, I cut off the ballistic tip off the ones I had and the new ones were way longer with a very small hollow point.

:happy:.
Congrats.
I've always considered the 254 to be like a big 346 as far as power and weight(obviously it came way before the 346)
I LOVE my 254, but man this 346 is nice.

You guys are a terrible influence. It seems as though I'm slowly moving to the orange side of the force...

Wouldn't that have been blowing them up though lol.
I got my new rounds yesterday, had to try out a few of them, although it was on a lot, not a whistle pig. They look real nice, I cut off the ballistic tip off the ones I had and the new ones were way longer with a very small hollow point.

The factory Norma 48 grain bullet loads do not even open on them, I think the bullets were intended for big game! My 52 and 53 gr Hps do a nice job, but nothing like Factory 130 - 270 win loads, they near cut woodchucks in half! Too soft (IMO) for big game hunting unless you are in an open field.

If you want to have fun with the kids, fill a coffee can with water and put a cap on it and shoot is with the swift! When you move up to 5 gal buckets, the 300 Win Mag does a much better job!

The Norma Factory loads were the most accurate bullet I ever shot from the gun. They would put holes in holes at 100 yds.

The factory Norma 48 grain bullet loads do not even open on them, I think the bullets were intended for big game! My 52 and 53 gr Hps do a nice job, but nothing like Factory 130 - 270 win loads, they near cut woodchucks in half! Too soft (IMO) for big game hunting unless you are in an open field.

If you want to have fun with the kids, fill a coffee can with water and put a cap on it and shoot is with the swift! When you move up to 5 gal buckets, the 300 Win Mag does a much better job!

The Norma Factory loads were the most accurate bullet I ever shot from the gun. They would put holes in holes at 100 yds.

My favorite load for whistlepigs is Australian Outback (ADI)'s 55gr BlitzKing load in .223. Stupid accurate, and the blitzkings are destructive.

Latest posts

Back