Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some good news . Covid test came back negative. So I guess it was just bad cold or regular fluView attachment 839134
Glad to hear, hope your better soon.

Finished up the spruce lot Friday, told him he could keep these 2, lol491791C7-2A99-46D7-8FC4-59C653E5CE67.jpeg
Rotten white fir and aspen. Now I just need to get mill fine tuned, getting too much flex, power head and tower jump around too much147EBF8F-8654-4385-AD6C-8773FF34CED7.jpeg
Mid 50’s today so figured I better try to get a load while it was cooler. I really need a winch244524B4-8933-4718-8C0B-32442152BF20.jpeg
Maybe I should sell the mill and get a winch.
Still trying to decide what would be better, a chainsaw winch, rope capstan, or a electric one mounted on pickup?

Hey Kiwi , I posted them directly from my phone to the site , any better for loading on dailup ?
A little messed up in the order of pics , I need more practice lol
Thanks for that. Seem better. Still yuge but as I'm the only one with the problem it's unreasonable to ask for anything more (or less). We are broadband but the bastards servicing our area are serial underinvestors wringing every last cent out of every subscriber they can pack into the pipeline.

Finished up the spruce lot Friday, told him he could keep these 2, lolView attachment 839254
Rotten white fir and aspen. Now I just need to get mill fine tuned, getting too much flex, power head and tower jump around too muchView attachment 839257
Mid 50’s today so figured I better try to get a load while it was cooler. I really need a winchView attachment 839259
Still trying to decide what would be better, a chainsaw winch, rope capstan, or a electric one mounted on pickup?
Thanks feeling better everyday

If you don't burn 24/7 then keep some of the cypress for getting started, it's easy to get lit and burns fast and hot to warn the stove and flue, and house, fast. Otherwise for you.... Yes largely redundant I imagine. You are spoilt for primo quality firewood! I'm jealous!

You're right, I can use it for fast starts in shoulder season or if we've been away for a bit and the house is cold.

nope...2 fails trying from the phone, and another on the chrome book.. unless i can get a google embed to work....

0qA1iaMa9__zrvTBIiFpSSDieqxtpvMjrieen94BI48ox0L2jSn5pjyBcUrMEbwBAw6fSdcyTQj0jBV9T7OD8nOSost9SvVQ7NE1nxsfcn3kyz4lI9uUOrqGSzCSOJOdK39NQxUVxw

You'll have fun stacking that lot. But, free BTUs...

Finished up the spruce lot Friday, told him he could keep these 2, lolView attachment 839254
Rotten white fir and aspen. Now I just need to get mill fine tuned, getting too much flex, power head and tower jump around too muchView attachment 839257
Mid 50’s today so figured I better try to get a load while it was cooler. I really need a winchView attachment 839259

I call that "healthy exercise". When I'm on the scrounge, I generally have plenty of time and since I'm a few pounds over fighting weight, I don't mind expending a few more calories. Might be different if I was short on time or scrounging for money.

You'll have fun stacking that lot. But, free BTUs...
Agreed! All my wood is arb waste so odd lengths, awkward crotches knots, and if I'm a really good boy there's the nails, wire and brick too. My stacks are 4 foot wide as it works best like that along one fence of my garden but it means at least I have a chance of keeping them upright. Longer and neater splits go on the outside and the uglies in the middle.
I have however noticed that with my usual I guy he bucks stuff up smaller, ready for people like me to collect in a car, and he tended to buck neatly, as if keeping the firewood use in mind. Combine that with me picking over the pile and passing over the worst crotches and punky bits and overall it is much better than when I get a load delivered. Hence I'm sort of trading time spent in the car to go and collect against time spent with the saw

Yep, I been trying selling them some oceanfront property, Iowa:laughing:.
They said as soon as the get they tree sold they will make a down payment :ices_rofl: .
I’ve been rooting for global warming, it’ll make my property in the mountains of WV beach front. Good luck with your sale.

Do those have a big rounded tip?
Funny, I don't think I've ever shot a swift before. I've shot a lot of oddball rounds though through the yrs, mainly when I was younger.
I was at my dads the other day and I almost took some pictures, maybe I'll get some of his shelves later. He was looking up the prices on the 17HMR's and was surprised at the prices, I ended up finding a better price than he did, being an FFL dealer(purchasing agent for a club) he was a bit surprised. He also wanted to make sure he had enough 17s, we went and looked and he had like 7 or 8 boxes lol.
If you do shows keep your eyes open for Norma 71 grain 228’s. Also Sisk 228’s. Getting hard to find fodder for my 22 HiPower. Introduced in 1912, discontinued around 1940. Essentially a 30-30 necked down to .228.

Plenty humid here. Scrounged up a lake trout last night and had it for breakfast this morning.
357fd48a7d470c48d5af6def294a3509.jpg
282a04404f0a78907123adbb1f0867ac.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I’m having crab omelets for breakfast this morning. Call them my 2-3-4 omelets. Two crabs, three eggs and four different cheeses. Optional medium to hot salsa on the side.

88 degrees here today. Helped move some furniture, did some exploring, had brunch, then a trip to town for a couple of new bikes for the younger kids. Out grilling in the shade now to do some meal prep for the week. High 80’s to low 90’s all week here. Luckily we are getting nightly lows in the 60’s.

A few pics from this morning. An area about 45 miles northwest of me where I had never gone before. Truly the “end of the world” back there.
View attachment 839167View attachment 839168View attachment 839169View attachment 839170View attachment 839171
I’d take that cab over any day. I passed up a 48 F5 Ford years ago, should have grabbed it. It was a package deal, came with a 48 F1 pickup.

I noodled some Red Bud today for bowl blanks. I was wondering if Red Bud was rot resistant like Bk Locust and Bk Walnut are? I use those noodles in my flower beds as mulch. Previously I used wood chips from the tree guy, but they would decay after a year and then act as compost. Weeds would start to grow despite a weed barrier. I hate to pitch the Red Bud noodles if I can use them.
Hey James.
I'm not sure whether the red bud is rot resistant, but I've found that the black walnut is not rot resistant, it's actually one of the worse for rot resistance.
Black locust on the other hand is great!

I’ve been rooting for global warming, it’ll make my property in the mountains of WV beach front. Good luck with your sale.
Let me know once you achieve beach front, I'm running a bit low lol.
If you do shows keep your eyes open for Norma 71 grain 228’s. Also Sisk 228’s. Getting hard to find fodder for my 22 HiPower. Introduced in 1912, discontinued around 1940. Essentially a 30-30 necked down to .228.
I haven't been in a long time, but my dad goes to them when the governor allows :nofunny:. He does a lot of reloading and has quite the inventory of supplies and finished rounds of all sorts(like a couple walls full). He does quite a few odd rounds that are necked down, I saw a pile of 25-06 boxes filed when I was there last time. I don't really know all the rounds as I haven't been in it except for the ones I need since I was in my 20's :oops:, but if it's hard to find I'd almost guarantee my dad has them and probably at least 10 boxes, he's quite the hoarder(guess that's where I get it from lol).
Can't you just resize them then?

Well, another bench completed! This one is Hickory, and a bit twisted and patched, but it has very unique live edge, and the legs are "flat" and she is solid as a rock!

If my older Daughter likes it, it is hers. Otherwise, I'll just bring it up to the cabin, can always use them up there.

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_101644726.jpg
    IMG_20200629_101644726.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200629_101658120_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200629_101658120_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20200629_101707057_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200629_101707057_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20200629_101745712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200629_101745712_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 25
Hey James.
I'm not sure whether the red bud is rot resistant, but I've found that the black walnut is not rot resistant, it's actually one of the worse for rot resistance.
Black locust on the other hand is great!
Really? I was told by the guy at the sawmill that Walnut was. We would mill the centers of Walnut logs into 4 x 4s for the local hog farmers to use as runners on their hog houses.

Really? I was told by the guy at the sawmill that Walnut was. We would mill the centers of Walnut logs into 4 x 4s for the local hog farmers to use as runners on their hog houses.
The first wood I see rot in piles is typically walnut elm and ash.
Maybe talk to the farmers, I'm curious for sure.

Thanks for that. Seem better. Still yuge but as I'm the only one with the problem it's unreasonable to ask for anything more (or less). We are broadband but the bastards servicing our area are serial underinvestors wringing every last cent out of every subscriber they can pack into the pipeline.

I have the same problem, broadband. It is bdetter than dial-up but not by much. Mostly I just go on by the pics rather than waiting for them to load. I used to like Photobucket as they downsized the pics automatically to the best size to post one the web. Unfortunately they got greedy.

Back