Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got up to use the bathroom around 6 and the back door was open. Must not have latched when someone came in last night.

With two kittens and one adolescent cat I was pretty worried. Found the kittens under my bed and Joey was hanging out in some brush about 25’ from the back door. Phew.

Its beautiful outside now, about 64 degrees. Hard to believe later we’ll again be hot as hades.

We've always kept our various cats indoors so they a) don't kill lots of things and b) don't get run over. The only real predators would be wild dogs and foxes but a cat is likely to be too fast for a wild dog and a determined cat can see off a fox. I know you have things over there that like to snack on cats though. Inside cats tend not to go very far when they get out because there are so many new and interesting things to check out right outside the door.

We've always kept our various cats indoors so they a) don't kill lots of things and b) don't get run over. The only real predators would be wild dogs and foxes but a cat is likely to be too fast for a wild dog and a determined cat can see off a fox. I know you have things over there that like to snack on cats though. Inside cats tend not to go very far when they get out because there are so many new and interesting things to check out right outside the door.
Agree.

Unless I had barn cats (which you are owning as a tool rather than a pet per se) I could never allow cats outside. We had too many barn cats pass to predators and of course traffic can be an issue especially knowing some bad souls will go out of their way to hit a cat. Sure you’ll occasionally get a smart outdoor cat that dies of old age but far too many don’t get the chance.

We've only had a couple of indoor cats over the years that were escape artists. The rest were afraid to go outside lol. Of my first batch of indoor cats our average lifespan was over 16 years, and I’m hoping these three will get the opportunity to live a similar long life.

In town near work there are at least 6 outdoor cats. Five indoor/outdoor and one feral. Amazingly they must know the train and cars as none of them ever get hit. Sometimes the train honks at a spot between the regular road crossings and I’m assuming that means he’s shooshing either the cats or deer.

Went up to hunting camp yesterday and today. Got there about 11 yesterday morning and it was too hot to shoot, so I mowed part of my field. I couldn't believe how much the field grew. I checked my text records and we ran the power to the new building June 9th. That's the last time we mowed. Most of the field was taller than the rear tires on my JD 265 and some was over the hood. Went to a giant yard sale at the fair grounds this morning, and were back at my place by 9, and it was 90* in the field. We shot the 1919 Match Rifle and a couple 22 pistols for a while and finally gave up, packed up and were on the road home by 11.
VRWdA39.jpg

rBWU64k.jpg

Good stuff Ryan. Your making @dancan proud.:rock2:

I’m just the middle man. I take unwanted, scrounged wood, and sell it to those who pay. Wood recycler maybe? IDK.Fella I got it from seasoned it for a year, now wants it gone so he can put in a fence.

When the pandemic first hit, I can’t tell you how many people inquiring about wood I turned away BC I didn’t have anything seasoned......

95 may not be hot to you like -10f isn’t cold to me. But it’s all relative.
My wife's uncle lived in Arizona and he said all the BS you here about 100+ degrees not being hot, because of the low humidity, is a bunch of deep BS. He said when it's 115, it's 115, and that's bloody azz hot!

We have hawks, owls, eagles, coyotes, etc that like cats. We lost a cat to one of the flying predators, Cat managed to get away but had been stabbed by a talon - had to be put down, peritonitis.

Most times you don't know what happens to a cat that disappears, or what happened to one that returns injured; you can only make guesses. Was it attacked by another cat or something else? We have one with three legs now that appeared to have been attacked by a bicycle; that is what the vet guessed anyway. Running across the road, along comes a herd of bicycles, (she stayed away from cars, but they make noise) she jumps and gets tangled in the chain/sprockets. Bicycle continues on its way. We think she lost a couple of lives in that episode.

I also once gave a ride to a cat that appeared at our other place, friendly enough, so I brought it home, about a 40 mile ride. The cat settled in the back of the minivan; didn't see it most of the trip, even making a couple of stops. When I got home, he wakes up and comes out. Our little dog greets me, startles the cat. Cat hides under a car. Tried to find the cat to show him where we feed our 'barn' cats, but didn't see him again although the neighbors said they saw one later. I think he may have been hitchhiking across the country.

Most times you don't know what happens to a cat that disappears, or what happened to one that returns injured; you can only make guesses. Was it attacked by another cat or something else? We have one with three legs now that appeared to have been attacked by a bicycle; that is what the vet guessed anyway. Running across the road, along comes a herd of bicycles, (she stayed away from cars, but they make noise) she jumps and gets tangled in the chain/sprockets. Bicycle continues on its way. We think she lost a couple of lives in that episode.

I also once gave a ride to a cat that appeared at our other place, friendly enough, so I brought it home, about a 40 mile ride. The cat settled in the back of the minivan; didn't see it most of the trip, even making a couple of stops. When I got home, he wakes up and comes out. Our little dog greets me, startles the cat. Cat hides under a car. Tried to find the cat to show him where we feed our 'barn' cats, but didn't see him again although the neighbors said they saw one later. I think he may have been hitchhiking across the country.
The mother of our kittens belongs to our friends and was a barn cat. One time it climbed in a horse trailer and ended up getting hauled three hours away. She stayed at that farm for a couple of months till they were traveling that way.

Life is especially tough for outdoor tomcats. They seem to find trouble more often and of course do battle with each other. One of my friends has barn cats and apparently one of his toms will eat the resident male kittens once they reach a certain age. He said the whole cat is gone except for the scrotum.

Yes, life is brutal.

I never said that high heat does not feel like high heat, but high humidity can be just as bad, especially combined with some good heat.

Your body just starts dripping sweat in no time, and all your clothes are wet!
Yep, just like today, 90*, with humidity, feels like 97*. I was lucky that I was selected to go get Grammy and then take her home. At least I got to spend a couple hours with the AC set on 70. It was so hot on our patio I thought I could have thrown the burgers on the cast iron table and save my propane for another day.

What a day.

Was heading from the house to the cabin shortly after lunch and stopped to help a couple whose trailer wheel bearing had grenaded. Good news was the hub and axle weren’t damaged. Sent their son to town (45 minutes away each way) with directions of what parts to buy. Brought the hub back to my house and hammered the old races out.

Son gets back and they sold him a bearing kit that had been opened and you guessed it, missing a race. F-word!!!!

Son headed back to town and I went and poked around my garage. Found an old bearing kit that had the right race for the inner bearing!!! Got him fixed up and on the road. Called the son and told him to hold off on buying another. The fellow insisted I take cash and I unrolled it later to find $150. He said take your family to dinner and we did.

After dinner I headed up to the cabin and everything was ok after the last couple of storms. It’s cool now but humid as hell.

Only thing tree related I got done this weekend was trimming up a neighbors pine. Kinda a sketchy job, right on the property line, but the lower branches had to go. They were resting on top of their shed roof. Climbed about 3/4 way up the tree and tied in. Kinda goofy having to cut branches by sight off a property line pin. Everyone involved was happy in the end. I agreed to take down some standing dead oaks for them this fall. For every 3 I drop I'll get to keep one for my personal use. And to boot I got a prospective job taking down a hemlock for another neighbor. That will be a cash job, if I accept it. I go from begging for wood to having these odd jobs thrown at me here late. Wish I had more time lol.

Back