Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loaded up and headed for the timber. Peach of a day for Iowa in August. Loaded my 13” stuff and that filled the wagon. Pulled down 2 widow maker limbs then got back to productivity later in the day. Still have 4-5 loads to go. Probably 4 loads of premium main stem wood and a jag of shorts/uglies and fire pit stuff. Slow but sure.
Pics won’t download. I’ll try tomorrow.

The great thing is, now you've got a mill, you can have so much fun making your own timber and project from them. Who knows, maybe if you keep us updated with your milling and project adventures, even Cowboy might even start having thoughts about ripping a few slabs out of the logs he encounters. And posts more pictures thereof.

Like water dripping on a stone...

Like water dripping on a stone...
Mate, you may think I'm crazy but just remember every mighty oak was once just a nut...that held its ground. Eventually you'll be kicking yourself for waiting so long to get started and will be taking a mental stock of all the wonderful potential slabs and brownie point winning furniture you blew on firewood in the past. It's a cross all those of us that cross over to the milling side of scrounging have to bear.

We're looking at -3°C tonight which is about 27° Murican. I know that isn't cold by most standards on this forum. I have a theory though that temperature is relative rather than absolute - relative to the place you are in that is. I have strolled around in Gallivare, Sweden in a T-shirt at -30°C (no wind) and skiied a 30km ski race in -15° but to me at the moment, -3° outside feels cold enough to freeze the nuts off a tractor.

This should help us get through.

4th August 1.jpg

We're looking at -3°C tonight which is about 27° Murican. I know that isn't cold by most standards on this forum. I have a theory though that temperature is relative rather than absolute - relative to the place you are in that is. I have strolled around in Gallivare, Sweden in a T-shirt at -30°C (no wind) and skiied a 30km ski race in -15° but to me at the moment, -3° outside feels cold enough to freeze the nuts of a tractor.

This should help us get through.

View attachment 846457
Cowboy I too am a big fan of two massive rounds:p

Mate, you may think I'm crazy but just remember every mighty oak was once just a nut...that held its ground. Eventually you'll be kicking yourself for waiting so long to get started and will be taking a mental stock of all the wonderful potential slabs and brownie-winning furniture you blew on firewood in the past. It's a cross all those of us that cross over to the milling side of scrounging have to bear.
It's like a disease with me since the time I worked at the circle mill. I see a log and say to myself 'that would make great lumber'. So once or twice every couple years I have a log or two milled to get my fix. Wish I would have bought a band mill when I was younger but there's too much competition around here for the product so it's not financially feasible.

A dude from Pennsylvania who has been begging for free hardwood for the last 7-8 years. He’s been banned several times.

He also likes spankings.
Doesn't he have a CL in his area? Mine has about a dozen ads for free firewood. Unless of course if he wants it delivered.
He might even be able to fulfill his other need by searching in the 'Services Offered' section, too.

Loaded up and headed for the timber. Peach of a day for Iowa in August. Loaded my 13” stuff and that filled the wagon. Pulled down 2 widow maker limbs then got back to productivity later in the day. Still have 4-5 loads to go. Probably 4 loads of premium main stem wood and a jag of shorts/uglies and fire pit stuff. Slow but sure.
Pics won’t download. I’ll try tomorrow.
Yes here in the Midwest, the rain has stopped and the temp's starting off in the low 60s for the next couple of days; like Montana weather. Unusually cool for the this area in August.
Plan on starting out around 7:00A and get a couple of loads each day if my body will let me. Hopefully more Mulberry today, then back to Red Oak.

Saw this today and had to get a picture, this guys gonna need to scrounge a couple new axles.
This is in the ride share about 5 min from our place, the from axle end is bent and the rear is totally broke off :surprised3:.
View attachment 846436
When I first bought my 5x8 single axle trailer used, I was hauling 1/2 ton of rock down a side road and both wheels pancaked on me. Luckily my Dad had a trailer I could shovel off the rock, dump it and then come back and load the trailer. I ended up putting on a 1 Ton axle and had the spring brackets moved back 3" at the same time. The trailer fish tailed all the time when empty.

When I first bought my 5x8 single axle trailer used, I was hauling 1/2 ton of rock down a side road and both wheels pancaked on me. Luckily my Dad had a trailer I could shovel off the rock, dump it and then come back and load the trailer. I ended up putting on a 1 Ton axle and had the spring brackets moved back 3" at the same time. The trailer fish tailed all the time when empty.
My dump trailer is 5X8 but GVW is 5000 pounds. It turned 15 this year. The plastic hydraulic reservoir sprung a leak. While I was ordering a new tank my wife said, how old is your trailer? I said 15. She said, why bother fixing it, it's time to get a new one. So, before the aliens bring back my real wife, I'm ordering the next size bigger, 10X6 tandem axle, 10K GVW.

The end is in sight. I'm going to let the paint cure for another day before I put the new tires on it. Plan to start running the 30 year old Oak fence boards through the planer today, good job for a rainy day.
xbpDzE8.jpg

Probably would be finishing up today, but had to take three days off to build this for my MIL. I thought I posted a pic already, but I went back a couple days and didn't see it.
gFxXB1H.jpg

Finished another small Chestnut Oak bench yesterday. This one needed a "patch" where it grew over the old cut off limb.

It is 4' 9" long.

Attachments

• IMG_20200803_160733325_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200803_160733325_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200803_160741796_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200803_160741796_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200803_160748716_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200803_160748716_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200803_160759901_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200803_160759901_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 19
My dump trailer is 5X8 but GVW is 5000 pounds. It turned 15 this year. The plastic hydraulic reservoir sprung a leak. While I was ordering a new tank my wife said, how old is your trailer? I said 15. She said, why bother fixing it, it's time to get a new one. So, before the aliens bring back my real wife, I'm ordering the next size bigger, 10X6 tandem axle, 10K GVW.
I'll be happy to take your "OLD, BROKEN" trailer off your hands. I won't even charge you anything for disposing it. Oh wait, am I the new guy scrounging for 'Free' stuff now?

Said I was going out early to the wood pile, but the county road will be closed another hour due to rocking.

Latest posts

Back