Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most baseball bats are Ash, buy some are Hickory, and Hickory is used for Axe and Sledge Hammer handles. Ash is not quite as strong, but lighter, and is typically used for shovel and rake handles.
Thanks Mike. Ahh right. Since we don;t have Hickory here our axe handles are Ash, or Beech, but Ash the better.

Nice breeze for a change so played in the woodpile for an hour and a half after work. 2nd round stack is coming along.
fa6c940ad99f0ac8d459c149689af0bf.jpg
47bb938d6ba316ca2a9b21f167a095bd.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

What's the advantage of stacking round stacks like that?
I was stacking along my fence but I was scrounging faster than I was burning so I never got to the back row. Round stacked the extra until I used the fence stacks up. Turns out the round stacks are more stable and I think the wood dries better. Snow doesn't drift over like a long straight stack either.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Tech question????

I believe this is an Elm tree and I was hoping someone could confirm this for me?

Also if it is an Elm how does it act on the hinge? I haven't cut any before and I would like to know if it has strong or weak hinge wood. That will help me decide the best way to get it on the ground....

Thanks in advance
b916f4606a70101069f8999618de2d37.jpg
740742c9b53c84d0b07e6a2c5bb89b50.jpg
ae8199a4f429af75ad608eadb4e5997f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
What's up neighbor.
Was thinking about you, just finished a tree job in Whitehall. I was just picking at it with all the hot weather, day here and then a week later when the weather was nice another.
I think it hinges well, it's very stringy, leave an open face to allow it to hold all the way to the ground. Watch those damaged areas and the knots, cut a very small face cut to make sure the placement is in a spot that will hold.
Is there a lot of room on the house side to drop them.

That looks like 'Chicken' mushroom. Two varieties, both edible (don't take my word for it).
Interesting, I saw some of that "chicken mushroom" growing out of a guys chevy s10 the other day, I originally thought it was great stuff, I know for next time :sweet::lol: .

What's up neighbor.
Was thinking about you, just finished a tree job in Whitehall. I was just picking at it with all the hot weather, day here and then a week later when the weather was nice another.
I think it hinges well, it's very stringy, leave an open face to allow it to hold all the way to the ground. Watch those damaged areas and the knots, cut a very small face cut to make sure the placement is in a spot that will hold.
Is there a lot of room on the house side to drop them.
Hey neighbor, Whitehall, that a good lil haul for ya.. It has been hot on and off for sure.

There's room, it's leaning towards the shop, it's actually at my buddy's business and he's having problems with delivery trucks not wanting to pull in because they are afraid of hitting it.
I'm going to put a pull line in it to help hold the hinge. Has to drop between the fence and building. Shouldn't be to bad.

I hope you and the fam are well.

Scrounged a load of Honey Locust on the way to the Hardware store. Like 4 blocks from my house, man that is some heavy wood. Oddly the home owner said its been on the curb for at least 4 weeks. He was glad to see it gone.
View attachment 847867
What a deal.
It doesn't get much lighter either, hope you have a hydraulic splitter.

Hey neighbor, Whitehall, that a good lil haul for ya.. It has been hot on and off for sure.

There's room, it's leaning towards the shop, it's actually at my buddy's business and he's having problems with delivery trucks not wanting to pull in because they are afraid of hitting it.
I'm going to put a pull line in it to help hold the hinge. Has to drop between the fence and building. Shouldn't be to bad.

I hope you and the fam are well.

It was, but it was nice getting out, like I said I just paced myself and it went well.

Are you dropping each stem separate, I wouldn't trust it to hold together with all the inclusion. A line to guide/support the steams against their lean should work just fine. I'd use a small face cut and then bore them so I had lots of time to set up my hinge, just be careful not to get pinch doing that :surprised3:.

Doing great here, thanks.

There are many types, I'm not sure which it was I had but we do seem to have a fair bit of goat willow and m around here. I'm not sure what the bouncy characteristic is called, but it is a measured thing and there very reason for Willow's use in bats.

What are baseball bats made from? Hickory isn't it? Makes me wonder if willow would make a good axe handle, never heard of it being used though.

Anyway, I like to try most woods and learn, but now avoid willow, hard to split and dries to nothing much.

I've seen the clefts (the blank that the bat is crafted from) getting split and it ain't rubbery. Must be a different species. I had two bats made by Julian Millichamp (of Millichamp & Hall). He had made bats for the entire Australian team at the time. It was amazing seeing the master craftsman at work.

PB271268.JPG

PB271283.JPG

PB271292.JPG

The Cowkids were a bit smaller then (as was I :omg: ).

PB271297.JPG

PB271301.JPG

Most baseball bats are Ash, but some are Hickory, and Hickory is used for Axe and Sledge Hammer handles. Ash is not quite as strong, but lighter, and is typically used for shovel and rake handles.
My wife and a friend drove from MD out to OK to visit another friend. They took the northern route one way and the southern route the other. They went to the Louisville Slugger bat factory. They sell the cut off ends from the lathes for souvenirs. She got the set, one each of Ash, Maple, and Hickory, plus a miniature Hickory bat. I wonder how the EAB is going to impact the bat industry?

Latest posts

Back