Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this saw. But I was reminded why I normally use a 16” bar in this terrain. It’s tough keeping a longer bar out of the rocks when you are cutting on uneven, rocky ground!! I made it though.

View attachment 853355
I really like 20" and 16" for 80-90% of what I do. Longer gets tangled in branches and brambles too much. We're on the sandy loam here rocks aren't an issue often.

Going with propane heat in my garage. I just didn't want to give up the floor space needed for a wood stove. My son is a gas fitter so we are doing it ourselves.
Was all set to sit my lazy butt on the couch this afternoon but two of my boys said "Come on Dad, let's get that wood stacked". You don't turn that down even if your back is sore! Got the last 3 facecord stacked under the deck for this winter. Total of 10, I burn 7-9 depending on the winter. It's a good feeling to be set for the year!
e9ad9b30072af4cb0793b55fe7d35f14.jpg
396198ce65bfedd5052ff19a8d72a86c.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I really like 20" and 16" for 80-90% of what I do. Longer gets tangled in branches and brambles too much. We're on the sandy loam here rocks aren't an issue often.

I use 28” and 36” most of the time, I only recently switched to the 28” after using the 36” for a long time. With the 28” I sometimes can’t finish the cut from one side. Both allow better reach so I don’t have to bend over as much.

....Was all set to sit my lazy butt on the couch this afternoon but two of my boys said "Come on Dad, let's get that wood stacked". You don't turn that down even if your back is sore! .....
I thought that's what kids are for. "Junior go out and stack that wood" and you supervise from the couch. I guess it makes a difference how old they are.

I use 28” and 36” most of the time, I only recently switched to the 28” after using the 36” for a long time. With the 28” I sometimes can’t finish the cut from one side. Both allow better reach so I don’t have to bend over as much.
Certainly you are working much larger wood than I am!

I have a 24” on the 394 right now for noodling. A 28” is better for noodling IMO because you can stand up and just let the last 12” of bar do the work at a 45 degree angle so the noodles stay manageable.

Other than noodling, nothing up here needs more than 20” for 95 percent of my cutting. I also have the 8500 set up for noodling with a 28” and the XL-925 wears a 24” solely for the photo op.

I went out early this morning and got 2/3 load of hedge. The tree guy showed up and in conversation said he was going to push it into the fire. So I went home, unhitched the trailer and went back for 2/3 load in the pickup. I left the 20" trunk. Just too big for me being hedge. I had to sharpen every 10 cuts or so. So now I've a pile of the yellow stuff on my driveway to take care of. It all goes in a covered bay by the house once I rotate that wood into the garage racks.

IMG_9775.JPGIMG_9776.JPG

I went out early this morning and got 2/3 load of hedge. The tree guy showed up and in conversation said he was going to push it into the fire. So I went home, unhitched the trailer and went back for 2/3 load in the pickup. I left the 20" trunk. Just too big for me being hedge. I had to sharpen every 10 cuts or so. So now I've a pile of the yellow stuff on my driveway to take care of. It all goes in a covered bay by the house once I rotate that wood into the garage racks.

View attachment 853405View attachment 853407
Sweet!
That will be some good stuff for those real cold days/nights.
I've only cut smaller ones, does it pull sand up I to it, or does it dull your chain primarily because its so hard.

Going with propane heat in my garage. I just didn't want to give up the floor space needed for a wood stove. My son is a gas fitter so we are doing it ourselves.
Was all set to sit my lazy butt on the couch this afternoon but two of my boys said "Come on Dad, let's get that wood stacked". You don't turn that down even if your back is sore! Got the last 3 facecord stacked under the deck for this winter. Total of 10, I burn 7-9 depending on the winter. It's a good feeling to be set for the year!
e9ad9b30072af4cb0793b55fe7d35f14.jpg
396198ce65bfedd5052ff19a8d72a86c.jpg

Hot Dog! Lol.
That looks great. Do you use double wall for the exhaust pipe on those?
I'm so glad we got our wood done for this season and next and all in the woodshed this spring, and all the help made it much more pleasurable too. Awesome the kids helped you out, and even cooler that the suggested it :).

There‘s a rock there somewhere?
I found some the last time I was cutting. It was pretty dark and she just stopped cutting, I knew to just shut the saw off and pack up. Well I didn't get a chance to sharpen it until today when I wanted to run it, nothing 15-20 strokes won't take care of :rare2:.
But better than that guy @U&A chains look like when he gets done with them :surprised3::lol:.

Hot Dog! Lol.
That looks great. Do you use double wall for the exhaust pipe on those?
I'm so glad we got our wood done for this season and next and all in the woodshed this spring, and all the help made it much more pleasurable too. Awesome the kids helped you out, and even cooler that the suggested it :).
Yes it's an insulated exhaust pipe.

I found some the last time I was cutting. It was pretty dark and she just stopped cutting, I knew to just shut the saw off and pack up. Well I didn't get a chance to sharpen it until today when I wanted to run it, nothing 15-20 strokes won't take care of :rare2:.
But better than that guy @U&A chains look like when he gets done with them :surprised3::lol:.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Hay hay hay

I swear there was a railroad tie in that log or something.

Yah thats it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Sweet!
That will be some good stuff for those real cold days/nights.
I've only cut smaller ones, does it pull sand up I to it, or does it dull your chain primarily because its so hard.
Hard! Some cracks in the pith contain garbage, but mostly because it so hard.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Hay hay hay

I swear there was a railroad tie in that log or something.

Yah thats it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
I don't doubt there was, most people stop when the hit it though :laughing:.

Latest posts

Back