Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like cottonwood. Doesn't appear to much for trees on the horizon so better take what you can get.
Its definitely cottonwood. We will be burning it in an owb so I'm not being too picky with what I haul, especially when it free, 3 minutes from the house, and someone else is doing the loading with heavy equipment haha.

What kind of tree is this?
06fa35c90058e82659b64ef7899dfe38.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Transplant from a virgin forest??

IMG_20200911_152423.jpg
That's a very small boot to a very small car, my wife's Hyundai i10. Mainly Holly from house 13 doors up the street. Cut to length by the tree guy and half will fit straight in the stove. I like Holly, so long as someone else has dealt with the prickles! Dense as oak, easy to split. That's a day's heat right there.

First time out with the L65 given to me by its original 90 year old owner.

I’ve cut more wood with L65’s than any other model of saw. Those who would judge this model by it’s modest specs are missing out, these things have torque like a tractor.

I’m just planning to put up a half cord between now and dark. This blowdown will cover most of it and there’s another just down the road from this one if I need a bit more.
92CCCBD3-CD68-4152-B939-CE9627DFF591.jpeg

Started around 1:00, dropped two for double trouble. Around 3, wife calls and has flat tire about 10 miles away, left everything in woods and off I go. Tire service wanted to know who stuck a box knife in wife's tire, said probably someone she pissed off. Back around 5, finished cutting large trunk wood and said another day for brushing it out. Used air cannon to set pull line, 80 psi is a lot, first time did not tie off 166ft of throw line and went with bag, tied off second time. Works great.IMG_20200911_181400262.jpgIMG_20200911_125153829_HDR.jpgIMG_20200911_141716638.jpg

Started around 1:00, dropped two for double trouble. Around 3, wife calls and has flat tire about 10 miles away, left everything in woods and off I go. Tire service wanted to know who stuck a box knife in wife's tire, said probably someone she pissed off. Back around 5, finished cutting large trunk wood and said another day for brushing it out. Used air cannon to set pull line, 80 psi is a lot, first time did not tie off 166ft of throw line and went with bag, tied off second time. Works great.View attachment 854398View attachment 854400View attachment 854401
That's awesome it sent your line sailing :laugh:, sounds like it's working great, I know what I want you to build for me this Christmas:rock:.
I cant tell you how many times I've sent my throw bag into the trees behind the one I wanted to set a line in, many times when I can't simply throw it and need to use the bigshot it's a straight shot through a small spot and you have to really send it. The good thing is that I't usually goes where I want it too, just need to be quicker grabbing the line.
Make sure you tell the wife to stop upsetting people with those political bumper stickers you put on her car lol.

Got the processor set up to do some splitting. It got dark before I took the completed pictures. I use the tractor to put a pile on the live deck and then put a bunch on the ground and then use the log loader to load them. The 4 way wedge is working good and the split size is a lot better than the 6 way.

Attachments

• 20200911_144508.jpg
    20200911_144508.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200911_144521.jpg
    20200911_144521.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200911_144439.jpg
    20200911_144439.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
Got the processor set up to do some splitting. It got dark before I took the completed pictures. I use the tractor to put a pile on the live deck and then put a bunch on the ground and then use the log loader to load them. The 4 way wedge is working good and the split size is a lot better than the 6 way.
That's sweet.
I found a Dixon zero turn I may grab up for my log splitter project. It has a hole in the side of the block, so I trust that the thing was moving along well before that happened. I could probably put an Engine on it and use it until I have more of the part gathered to build the splitter.
I just put my mark out front for sale tonight as I found another "mower" :happy:, but I wouldn't mind getting another cheaper zero turn if possible as it will be much quicker.
Sorry the picture is so bad, it was a screenshot from the ad. The guy said the hydrostatic trans is bad, it's working perfect for me?
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.37.49 PM.png

Back