Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't supposed to get a birthday present since I am getting a heater in my garage. I guess my wife figured I better not get any more wood chips in my eye. It healed up good and I can see as good as before but best not to tempt fate.
4afd8cebee9d34db476976eff2f26ea7.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I believe in FULL SYNTHETIC oils, engine, tranny and diff life are so much longer than they used to be as a result.

Someone did an in depth analysis of the oils a while ago and IIRC the Saber had a viscosity rating of about 12 compared to 8 for Stihl full synthetic. That is why I use it, and I have had builders comment on how well my saws were "oiled".

Spot on.

Ester/PAO are our friends. They simply protect better.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I've been meaning to get another one also (and I enjoy the hunt too.) I figured that would make me twice as fast at collecting firewood. ;)

OK, maybe that wouldn't, but this might:
View attachment 861268
A trailer for my wheelbarrow! :laughing:
I think you could make a bracket/hitch that attaches to your belt and then to the "trailer wheelbarrow, that way you could haul doubles :laugh: .
I have this, it won't fit through the front door so it won't replace my wheelbarrow. It's gonna need to go, came with a mower I scrounged up.
10 cubic ft, wonder how many loads would make a cord :pingpong:.
Anyway it may be easier to attach a hitch to for you, and it would kinda match the green you got going on, at least as well as the plastics on a husky:yes:.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.54.12 PM.png
Not sure if I will use this one much for scrounging wood, but I couldn't resist it tonight.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.52.30 PM.png

Saw a review on Amazon . . .

Guy bought a new Oregon wheel for his chainsaw grinder, and appeared surprised that he had to profile the edge. Unedited, except for the bold emphasis:

"This stone comes with 90 degree edges. You will go through a few chains putting a 90 degree edge in your chain before the wheel gets close to round. I had to put mine on a grinding wheel to get it close. After that it works great. The fact that nothing is said about this is why I only gave it a 3. Now that it's broke in, it works like a charm. So either get a shaping stone to save your first few chains, or keep an old worn out one around to start this stone on. I have found that unfortunately, nobody makes a pre-rounded stone. The kind of edge you will have on your chain if you use this stone new without shaping it is a functional design, but very aggressive and will dull quickly. This kind of edge is for proessionals. For most folks, you want a round sharpening edge. I use my saw quite a bit and have more knowledge than the average bear, and I still prefer a round edge. The 90 degree one is just too jumpy and it dulls fast."

Philbert

James hasn’t been on since spring. Hopefully he’ll be back.
He has been busy motor sickeling and working a bunch this summer. We texted about files the other day so i guess he is getting ready to start cutting. The path to his scrounge hole got blocked by a cornfield this summer.

He has been busy motor sickeling and working a bunch this summer. We texted about files the other day so i guess he is getting ready to start cutting. The path to his scrounge hole got blocked by a cornfield this summer.
Ok good. I had sent him a couple of PM’s and hadn’t heard back.

So yea, all the chainsaw companies steal features from each other … I see most of the Husky's now have the side chain adjusters.

But … Stihl saws still have inboard clutches!!! Yeah!
I don't care so much as what brand, I just want the ones that work the best for me. But, I sure have fun poking at anyone who states that ..... brand is the best or the only way :yes: .
I like that the manufactures change things up now and then(usually), I think if it wasn't for the competition we'd all be using mcbricks :surprised3:.

I don't care so much as what brand, I just want the ones that work the best for me. But, I sure have fun poking at anyone who states that ..... brand is the best or the only way :yes: .
I like that the manufactures change things up now and then(usually), I think if it wasn't for the competition we'd all be using mcbricks :surprised3:.
Agree.

All of the main players have at least one saw that owns best of class for given CC range. Anyone who says otherwise should just wear a hat that says fanboy. Granted all of us have our tendencies towards one or two brands but we need to be objective when discussing who is best.

Well I made a successful but expensive trip to the license bureau today to title a couple of trailers I scrounged up this summer.

In MN if you need to title a "homemade" trailer that was never titled previously you need to state the fair market value of all materials used to assemble the trailer as your cost EVEN if you sourced those materials for free. So if you spent $100 on steel, $100 on wheels and axles, $100 on decking and $50 on wiring and lights, your trailer "value" is $350 and that is what you pay tax on. And you need to list where you got those materials from. So I ended up listing locations where I got some stuff and other I just put "owned personally" and their value if sold on craigslist.

The "forever" tag for a trailer of <3000 lbs gross weight is $55 bucks. A big hit up front but not bad considering you never need to pay again and if you sell the trailer the buyer only needs to pay transfer fees. Then you have all of the misc transfer fees that the state and registrar tack on plus the tax due on the "fair value" of your materials. And they charge 3 percent to run a debit or credit card. So to title two trailers which cost me zero except gas to get home ended up being $165 out the door. Oh well.

Sorry to grind the axe on Amsoil but they just drive me crazy.

Their operations are only 90 miles from here. I would literally buy their products exclusively to help out local folks if they did not conduct themselves in such an asinine way.

I've stated many times the issues I had with different amsoil products when I was in powersports. Not once did they ever cover one of the many failures that my customers encountered. Lack of lubrication is a pretty easy tell on a burnt down two stroke.

I've stated many times the issues I had with different amsoil products when I was in powersports. Not once did they ever cover one of the many failures that my customers encountered. Lack of lubrication is a pretty easy tell on a burnt down two stroke.
Yes sir. As I mentioned they would be better off offering no warranty than one they'll never honor.

Reason for running dino oil occasionally?

Can saws be safely stored long term with synthetic mix in the bearings? I heard motorcycle racers used to have problems with this?

In a vacuum it works perfectly. However it's rare our items are stored in a complete climate controlled environment. If you could ensure there never was any condensation or temp change it would last a long long time. A fogging oil or dino oil will stick better over a period of time. Snowmobiles were a great example for us up here. When the years were lean and they didn't get run, once the snow came back and people were using them again there were a ton of main bearing failures due to rust and pitting. If I am storing items for a long time I still fog them or lube them through the plug hole yearly.

I am an advocate for yamalube. Been great for me and I don't seize things up. Oil is subjective though. Everybody has an opinion. Run what works for you and has your confidence.

In MN if you need to title a "homemade" trailer that was never titled previously you need to state the fair market value of all materials used to assemble the trailer as your cost EVEN if you sourced those materials for free.
Seems like double taxing if you paid tax when purchasing those materials.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back