Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little excitement on the way to vote this afternoon. One of my old produce customers shop caught on fire. He had first degree burns. We got there just as a fire trucks were pulling up and we turned on a side road and pulled over and my wife said look the fields on fire. I went back and told the cop that was directing traffic about it and he said they'll get to it. By the time I got back to the truck a farmer's soybean field was catching on fire. I took my old Fork I carry in the truck and started making a fire break to stop the fire. Couple minutes later the fire company showed up and put the fire out in the field. Then I went and voted.
20201103_122738.jpg20201103_123103.jpg20201103_123541.jpg

Finally got to the bigger pieces of not highly valuable English walnut from the tree service earlier this year. I guess nobody is going to give me a big pile of money for it, so off to the firewood stacks it goes. Mostly that's because I didn't post it for sale on Craigslist (too much competition.)
20201103_154502.jpg20201103_155538.jpg20201103_160651.jpg20201103_161717.jpg20201103_162456.jpg20201103_163305.jpg

Had no power since Monday morning around 6 am . They just got us up and running and left me some nice white oak got 6 or 7 loads just from my dead end street . There's a big hickory down the main part of my road I'll get to tomorrow. Piles getting bigger every day View attachment 865934View attachment 865935
Couldn't you put a log or two on the back of the Kubota? :laugh: Amazing what that thing can carry. Your pile looks like the log yard I cut. Usually full of logs. Do you sell firewood? Seems a little much just for your own use.

Couldn't you put a log or two on the back of the Kubota? :laugh: Amazing what that thing can carry. Your pile looks like the log yard I cut. Usually full of logs. Do you sell firewood? Seems a little much just for your own use.
I was going to drag a piece that was at the of my driveway with the back hoe but it was getting dark .I dont sell it . I heat my house and my mom still burns at her house . I have enough for several years just need to buck split and stack over the winter . Have 2 years worth still stacked

What's everyone's opinion of the Stihl 462 saw? Might have CAD again.
A guy on Facebook just posted up dyno comparisons between the 500i, 462, and a couple of other big 70CC saws. IMHO, the 462 numbers were the most impressive. It held peak HP longer than any other saw, and was nipping at the heals of the 500i the entire time. The 500i peaked higher HP (7hp), but once it hit 10000rpms or so, it dropped fast. Meanwhile, the 462 held strong into the mid 10000s before starting to drop.

Here are some of his pics:

AD488042-4EC3-420B-AFB9-54D8CE23B4CB.jpeg5CAC44EA-2DA0-466B-A81F-D4CCE206D5AF.jpeg
BC55F079-B9C1-4BC4-8E57-F31A12CCB36D.jpeg

I posted in Chainsaw section as 'Stihl 462' but I'll recap here as well. Up for sell is a Stihl 462 used for one tree or so and a year or two old. Asking $400. It's an hour or more away so I'm just trying to convince myself it's not a scam. Then I could fix the 046 that I have and sell it.

A guy on Facebook just posted up dyno comparisons between the 500i, 462, and a couple of other big 70CC saws. IMHO, the 462 numbers were the most impressive. It held peak HP longer than any other saw, and was nipping at the heals of the 500i the entire time. The 500i peaked higher HP (7hp), but once it hit 10000rpms or so, it dropped fast. Meanwhile, the 462 held strong into the mid 10000s before starting to drop.
That guy is @Red97 . He has a thread going over in chainsaw forum.

Here are some of his pics:

View attachment 866026View attachment 866027
View attachment 866028

What's everyone's opinion of the Stihl 462 saw? Might have CAD again.

I have two of them (20" + 24") and they are my "go to" saws! The wt of a 60 cc saw, power of a 77 cc saw, spring AV, clean air filter tech and M Tronic (so no little screwdriver).

I love em! (both mine are ported)

Rex and the Bird

IMO, this one really demonstrates how unusual he was.

My brother and I were working outside on a car and Rex was doing his usual stuff, if bees came around he "cleared" them for us! He had a method of just comping at them and he would not get stung and they would fall to the ground in his saliva.

Then we saw Rex sneaking off toward the back of our house in a crouched position, so we slowly followed him to see what he as up to. There was a bird on the lawn (I think it was a Grackle) and he snuck up to about 3' away when the bird tried to fly away. Rex bolted like a Cheetah and leapt in the air, grabbing the bird out of the air. He then pinned the bird to the ground with his two front paws and let go with his mouth. He moved his head side to side and front to back, looking at it from every possible angle he could look at it, then he let the bird go and it flew away! Imagine, he just wanted to check it out, and he caught it w/o harming it … what kind of dog does that??? Yea, he was special!

Latest posts

Back