Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
balaclava
I looked that up, some of those would work for very cold weather, but I'd be sweating bad wearing that unless I was riding a sled or sitting still.
The material on many of those is what I'm talking about, but just as a shorter hat not the whole head being covered.

You'd think for having 20 couple of stitches in his leg and part of his brain removed this guy would wear some PPE. NOPE!! Also hard of hearing from running table saws and rip saws at his job back in the 60's when hearing protection wasn't required. He also didn't want me to noodle that big locust cause the sledge and wedges were faster. :crazy2:
He will be 90 next June. View attachment 867102
I bet his son is just as stubborn :innocent:.
That's some nice snob wood there :blob2:.

Had to drop a leaning, decayed, Black Cherry near the end of my Brother's driveway today.

It was a good opportunity to give him his new MOFO 462! He loved it, and it did all of the "non limbing" work.

Had to remove 3 Red Maples to give the Cherry a clear path to fall.

There are "before" and "after" pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20201109_103459765_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201109_103459765_HDR.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20201109_105347785_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201109_105347785_HDR.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20201109_114640360_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201109_114640360_HDR.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20201109_114658769.jpg
    IMG_20201109_114658769.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
My practice when arriving at the job site. Out of truck, scrench back left pocket, wedge front right pocket then I'm ready to procede. If planning to buck, my cut-off (16" piece of pvc pipe) in back right pocket.

My chaps have a place for chainsaw tool, with a snap flap over it. Also has a place for two wedges.

I have two of the water Jerry cans, they're like a tan plastic color. I bought those at one of the surplus stores, and use them for the same thing.

What did you clean them with when you first got them? Soldiers have been known to use them as a urinal.

Well my scrounging truck (only) has developed a problem. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1/2 Ton 2WD. Nothing special. I thought the shocks were shot because I kept hearing a clunk every time I went over a bump. I checked under it today and found the cross member of the frame in the rear had rusted through. This 'H' shaped piece of channel runs side to side and is welded to the main side pieces of the frame. It holds the spare tire assembly and more importantly, a shock mounting bracket is welded to it.
I'll be dropping by the local mechanic and a body shop tomorrow to see what my options are. Anyone brief me on what to expect so I don't drop dead from $hock?

Shouldn’t be that bad of a fix. Probably clean the rust/paint overlap a piece of flat steel and have it welded in place. Could be more involved if the bracket that holds the shock is rusted out, but if it’s just the cross member you may get away with a couple hours labor for a fabricator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My chaps have a place for chainsaw tool, with a snap flap over it. Also has a place for two wedges.

What brand, I guess I have to have a set. Can’t be getting my leg cut off just trying to heat the home for a family, not very productive.

Shouldn’t be that bad of a fix. Probably clean the rust/paint overlap a piece of flat steel and have it welded in place. Could be more involved if the bracket that holds the shock is rusted out, but if it’s just the cross member you may get away with a couple hours labor for a fabricator.

Just got back from getting an estimate. What you described is what I would do. I can put the spare tire in the bed. Went to a mechanic and he couldn't do it so I went to a local body shop. All four points of attachment of this cross member have some rot so he said if he could order the whole thing. Said it wouldn't be cheap.
He suppose to call me with an estimate. I'll try a couple more body shops and if need be a machine shop that's done some welding for me before.

I try to limit my cutting to -10f or warmer. Saws are REAL stiff if left outside at that temp.

I usually cut with my helmet and no liner. As soon as I’m done cutting and shift to a beanie or stocking cap which wicks away any sweat from my head. A lot of my winter cutting is a tree at a time then more time loading into truck or snowmobile and hauling/splitting/stacking near boiler.

Pulling box o
Just got back from getting an estimate. What you described is what I would do. I can put the spare tire in the bed. Went to a mechanic and he couldn't do it so I went to a local body shop. All four points of attachment of this cross member have some rot so he said if he could order the whole thing. Said it wouldn't be cheap.
He suppose to call me with an estimate. I'll try a couple more body shops and if need be a machine shop that's done some welding for me before.
Can you save money by removing box yourself. Not that hard to do on my GMC, have done it several times to replace brake lines, fuel lines, and rustproofing. Did it myself using loader, 4 guys can lift that box off.

Latest posts

Back