Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m all ears. Going on a low carb diet January 2nd.
Well, my wife is the cook in the family, so I consulted with her. She said it works best with a covered pot. Start by covering the pan with light olive oil (I believe yellow is for cooking and the green is for salads, etc.), heat with a medium flame. Add chopped garlic (about 2 cloves per head of broccoli) till a bit brown. Then add some water (just enough to steam it, not to boil it) and the broccoli, cover and stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. Do not over cook, keep it firm.

Up at the cabin I like to grill the venison steaks over a Black Cherry fire, but when the conditions are not good for cooking outside, I just put the frying pan on the wood stove, add some olive oil and cook the venison in that. I keep it rare, and it comes out great. Bet your daughter would like it like that also.

Best of luck with your diet change, and Happy New Year! Eating healthy can also taste great. Enjoy!

don't mix coal and wood in the same load. the coal will have some sulphur, the wood creates steam as it burns, the combination leads to sulpuric acid and kills flues
couldn't be any worse than telephone poles and rail road ties.
The jack wagon about 1-1/2 miles up the road thinks so and i am sure his chimney is awful.

Thanks! It was gone after the post was up after 2 hours. Sent the sender a message early, but apparently there were a few before me. I was just trying to gauge if it was $100 worth of scrap or if it was something decent. I did my research after and found outherwise.

Where are you at in MD? Came down today to meet with family in Lewes,DE. Love the Eastern Shore of MD....
Just outside of Frederick.

Got up to a fresh foot of snow and had to shovel the steps and a patch in the grass for my mexican dog. Threw a couple hunks of ash on the coals and whoops, should have used poplar or willow because it got to 27°C inside or about 79°F! Probably take the snowmobile out for its first run later. Won't be any firewood work for me besides burning for a while. Whole southern part of Ontario (the part with people in it) goes on a 28 day lockdown starting today.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Went out to my oak pile, to grab a few rounds before heading off to work today. Between the snow, rain, and then freezing temps over night, it was a big ole up yours from the pile. All the splits were frozen solid. Didnt have time to play with them, so off to the shed I went. Grabbed up the last of the poplar, should hold the wife over till she wakes up (cold lol) last of my shoulder wood. Be switching to better wood here on out. Need to get back to my buddies house this week and get more wood. Springs gonna be here faster then I'd like, which in turn will stop me from getting wood off his back lot.

oh dear @JustJeff , i hope you've not got our newstrain, or even worse the south african strain, either spread much more easily. i cant see schools reopening here for a while
So far it's just regular covid. Mostly it's Toronto which is the center of the universe here in Ontario, or at least they seem to think so. They have tried regional lockdowns but some people travel. There have been reported bus trips out of lockdown areas. Numbers have been increasing in my area but a lot of that is in the Mennonite and Amish community. I'm cool with just chillin for a bit till things calm down. Hope things are well with you and your family. Avoid the supercooties!

oh dear @JustJeff , i hope you've not got our newstrain, or even worse the south african strain, either spread much more easily. i cant see schools reopening here for a while
Apparently I spoke too soon. Just watched the news and we have 2 cases of BBC (British Bent Covid) not to be confused with the South African BBC variant (Bloemfontein Bent Covid). Either way it looks like we will be screewed by BBC! I have found that most folks won't come within 6 feet of you if you are holding a running chainsaw... especially in the supermarket!

Well, my wife is the cook in the family, so I consulted with her. She said it works best with a covered pot. Start by covering the pan with light olive oil (I believe yellow is for cooking and the green is for salads, etc.), heat with a medium flame. Add chopped garlic (about 2 cloves per head of broccoli) till a bit brown. Then add some water (just enough to steam it, not to boil it) and the broccoli, cover and stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. Do not over cook, keep it firm.

Up at the cabin I like to grill the venison steaks over a Black Cherry fire, but when the conditions are not good for cooking outside, I just put the frying pan on the wood stove, add some olive oil and cook the venison in that. I keep it rare, and it comes out great. Bet your daughter would like it like that also.

Best of luck with your diet change, and Happy New Year! Eating healthy can also taste great. Enjoy!
I have been on a zero carb diet for a long time with a cheat day once every two weeks and i lost a lot of weight and it got my blood pressure under control and my cholesterol is much better.
1/3 lb of red meat / fish and 2-3 eggs per meal cooked in butter and drinks is hot coffee or milk with no sugar and only real cream.

Turns out the ground isn’t as frozen as I thought...after a little delay we got back to solid ground. Ash still solid, with plenty more dead standing. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and you are finding good scrounges during the Holidays! 4AE07C9B-CD58-4434-A7B7-0A02A764BD0C.jpeg

Attachments

• 54DC3C43-B76A-4F08-BEF4-83430442DCF4.jpeg
    54DC3C43-B76A-4F08-BEF4-83430442DCF4.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 28
Merry Christmas all, Santa brought me a new saw this year.
94d20e3647a7e5e808adcef6d0c957fa.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Wow, you must have been real good this yr :).
Nice saw.

Turns out the ground isn’t as frozen as I thought...after a little delay we got back to solid ground. Ash still solid, with plenty more dead standing. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and you are finding good scrounges during the Holidays! View attachment 877821
Sweet saw :rock:.
Hate when that happens. I had to pick up my trailer at the inlaws, I was hopping the ground was solid since it was 52 down there 4 days ago. It was solid and I was able to get my trailer, but it can go both ways this time of the yr in the midwest.

Turns out the ground isn’t as frozen as I thought.
Five miles from the lakeshore. We have a little lake effect snow sticking around, some ice on windshields, but nothing close to frozen ground. 39° today, dropping below freezing only at night for the entire week coming up. The big lake actually keeps us a little warm late into fall, despite the lake effect. In the spring it's just the opposite until the icebergs melt.

Back