Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy new year!9EBD7A6A-771E-4F69-BCF1-F5671EE8CBFF.jpegThey had a pretty good landing fire going yesterday, pine stump full of pitch, had to stay back about 8’ to keep from melting, lol. Last day for awhile, mills are getting full of logs so they dropped the price, land owner said no more till it goes back up, hopefully this spring. Logger is going to Colorado to work on fire clean up. Some nice trees to end the season on (32” bar),9EA61BAD-A9BE-4D93-913A-8DD8BC9E1E29.jpegexcept for all the limbs.2B84E049-B324-47B6-A3CF-996A5B359813.jpeg

I was unable to access the site yesterday … so Happy New Year everyone!

FYI, my Grandson loved getting the Winchester Wildcat 22 for his birthday, and I did my best to make it a surprise. When I handed him the wrapped, rectangular box I said "your Mother told me you like to play golf"!

He does not play golf, and was thrilled he did not get golf clubs!

Happy New Year, to all! You guys must be really bored. I only missed a couple days and was ten pages behind again.

Going back to the delivery issues. 30 years at UPS and I can tell you nothing about the severe Jet Lag every thing seems to have. But, I can tell you a lot about damages. Believe it or don't, 90+ percent of damages are improper packing. Before any one gets offended, it doesn't mean it was your package being poorly packed, that caused it to get damaged. It's not uncommon for people to put 90 pounds in a box and record it as 40 pounds. To start with, all packages over 70 pounds get set behind the trailers and are loaded last. They shouldn't be an issue. But, some of the mislabeled 90 pounders get through the system. When its being unloaded it gets slid on to a belt. The first sorter either pushes of pulls it to a slide across from him, or next to him. you can have a package go through the system with out ever being picked up. Say that package gets loaded in the middle of a row. Somewhere under that box is a box with a lamp shade in it. Bouncing down the road that lamp shade box collapses, the over weight one shifts and falls across someone's $2000 rifle. The A Hole that put the over weight in the systems box never gets damaged, it's always the poor guys underneath. Then I have refused to pick up a package because it obviously had NO packing in it. The person just looked at me and laughed and said, " I never put packing in a box, it's insured, and once I give it to you, it's on you to make sure it's packed right". I say you have to be able to sit or stand on the box. Using that as a guide line, I have never had 1 single package I shipped damaged. My packages cost $5-$10 more to ship because of the extra packing, but, I like my stuff to get there.

Happy New Year, to all! You guys must be really bored. I only missed a couple days and was ten pages behind again.

Going back to the delivery issues. 30 years at UPS and I can tell you nothing about the severe Jet Lag every thing seems to have. But, I can tell you a lot about damages. Believe it or don't, 90+ percent of damages are improper packing. Before any one gets offended, it doesn't mean it was your package being poorly packed, that caused it to get damaged. It's not uncommon for people to put 90 pounds in a box and record it as 40 pounds. To start with, all packages over 70 pounds get set behind the trailers and are loaded last. They shouldn't be an issue. But, some of the mislabeled 90 pounders get through the system. When its being unloaded it gets slid on to a belt. The first sorter either pushes of pulls it to a slide across from him, or next to him. you can have a package go through the system with out ever being picked up. Say that package gets loaded in the middle of a row. Somewhere under that box is a box with a lamp shade in it. Bouncing down the road that lamp shade box collapses, the over weight one shifts and falls across someone's $2000 rifle. The A Hole that put the over weight in the systems box never gets damaged, it's always the poor guys underneath. Then I have refused to pick up a package because it obviously had NO packing in it. The person just looked at me and laughed and said, " I never put packing in a box, it's insured, and once I give it to you, it's on you to make sure it's packed right". I say you have to be able to sit or stand on the box. Using that as a guide line, I have never had 1 single package I shipped damaged. My packages cost $5-$10 more to ship because of the extra packing, but, I like my stuff to get there.
Totally agree with that, some people have no clue how to pack things. OTOH I pack things well enough to get ran over by a semi and stuff still happens.

My cast iron hobby sees a lot more shipping issues that saws. Folks don’t think that “metal” is breakable and just throw it in a box. In reality the best way to ship is to wrap the outbound edge in a split pool noodle and put a chunk of pool noodle around the handle too. Then fill the box full of packing.

I wrap my saws well then put empty beverage bottles around the saw for packing. It’s light and works great. Plus you can mix two liters, one liters. 20 ouncers, and Gatorade bottles to make it pack tightly.

Happy new year. Started my year with a trip to the gym!
423137a71c4591c6ee696038ec5fe117.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

New arrival ported out of the box by Kevin. This is not mine. Just helping out a friend. Hopping to take it to him and try it out at his house this weekend.

710a82d299ec2fe3ac284f92f654ab63.jpg

913b48bc42decaaa4b5509b66a73512b.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Nice!
That blade looks to have hit metal before :surprised3:.

Happy new year. Started my year with a trip to the gym!
423137a71c4591c6ee696038ec5fe117.jpg

I did a gym session yesterday

Jeff, do you go from that pile straight to the stove or to a stove side box or rack next? If it's the latter, take a look at IKEA blue tote bags (I'm assuming you guys have IKEA? ). I fill tote bags at the stack, about a dozen when the weather is decent, and bring to a staging point in the garage, then inside and fill the rack. One tote of hardwood is about as much as I can carry, and about a day's burn. They are also very cheap, in store in think it's 30p a bag. eBay/Amazon seem to charge about £1. I double them up for strength, just in case. Sooo much cheaper then any specific fire wood totes.

Jeff, do you go from that pile straight to the stove or to a stove side box or rack next? If it's the latter, take a look at IKEA blue tote bags (I'm assuming you guys have IKEA? ). I fill tote bags at the stack, about a dozen when the weather is decent, and bring to a staging point in the garage, then inside and fill the rack. One tote of hardwood is about as much as I can carry, and about a day's burn. They are also very cheap, in store in think it's 30p a bag. eBay/Amazon seem to charge about £1. I double them up for strength, just in case. Sooo much cheaper then any specific fire wood totes.
We have a heavy canvas bag, it's great. I think it was a little pricey, 35 years ago. It shows no sign of wearing out. I'm sure it will out live me.

All the nuggets I get go straight to the burn pile, it needs to eat too!
I do that too, but if they are decent I'll either bring some of them right into the house when I'm splitting during the burning season or I throw them in with the splits to give away with other not so pretty wood. I just sold a nice truckload of my "seconds" to a neighbor for 50, I've probably given him a full cord the last yr so I didn't mind charging him that, and it helps him out. Nice when things work well for everyone like that.

I actually have a couple of those totes. My wood is stacked in racks under the deck. I usually stage a couple weeks worth next to the door under the covered portion of the porch. Usually just grab arm loads

My woodpile waiting for spring. A few years ago I made a snowman out of cookies. Box elder as I recall. Anyway, today I took it apart as the cookies had cracked and the missus didn't want it anymore. 3 years storage in a closet is the correct seasoning for firewood judging by this burn! The damper is closed and the fire is a rockin!
f581bcafde535632b1740c029a9b9097.jpg
d89c33109cf06e7fc3b19de7d709df72.jpg

Got another 7 buckets today, should have only been six :dumb:.
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.10.17 PM.png
I shouldn't have doubted myself as I corrected the gun and the tree dropped right where it was aimed, took out one of the trees I wanted to save :cry:.
The only thing I can think of that could have caused it is the bar :laugh:.
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.14.11 PM.png
Since there isn't much to talk about right now here's the butt log so we can get a discussion going on that again:popcorn2:.
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.17.37 PM.png
Here's the damage, obviously it could have been worse, glad the hinge held tight and took that little tree out or it would have guided the locust into the woodshed:crazy2:.
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.16.21 PM.png
Sure was a nice tree :rare2:, but I'm over it, good to get my screwup for the yr out of the way already :innocent::lol:.
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.15.40 PM.png

Got another 7 buckets today, should have only been six :dumb:.
View attachment 879477
I shouldn't have doubted myself as I corrected the gun and the tree dropped right where it was aimed, took out one of the trees I wanted to save :cry:.
The only thing I can think of that could have caused it is the bar :laugh:.
View attachment 879479
Since there isn't much to talk about right now here's the butt log so we can get a discussion going on that again:popcorn2:.
View attachment 879480
Here's the damage, obviously it could have been worse, glad the hinge held tight and took that little tree out or it would have guided the locust into the woodshed:crazy2:.
View attachment 879481
Sure was a nice tree :rare2:, but I'm over it, good to get my screwup for the yr out of the way already :innocent::lol:.
View attachment 879482
Doesn't look like too much snow left. I camped out at the Byron Center yard Tuesday night and woke up to that slop Wednesday morning. Had to run into Muskegon first thing, what a mess!!

Latest posts

Back