Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they gonna run 2-3 days without access to a charger?
How much fuel do you carry? What’s it weigh?

Just something to consider. I have taken battery saws on disaster responses, with multiple batteries. They were not running all the time. Lots of convenience factors (starting, noise, no flammable fuel, etc. ).

Would have to check into solar recharge options; this stuff is constantly changing.

Philbert

I'd just like to know why is a top handle so sought after, and why the hate of the ms180?
Top handle is more compact, and slightly lighter: important considerations for this application.

MS180 is viewed as STIHL’s ‘low end, homeowner’ saw. Although, I know one tech who recommends them as ‘disposable’ saws, in a good way: less of an issue when damaged/destroyed/list/stolen/etc. than a MS261, for example!

Philbert

Top handle is more compact, and slightly lighter: important considerations for this application.

MS180 is viewed as STIHL’s ‘low end, homeowner’ saw. Although, I know one tech who recommends them as ‘disposable’ saws, in a good way: less of an issue when damaged/destroyed/list/stolen/etc. than a MS261, for example!

Philbert
The top handle stays at home unless I'm climbing. Slightly lighter, I cant comment on that as I no longer have access to the ms180, but can tell you if your going to lump a ms 193t as a pro saw then the ms 180 is at the same level of "pro". The compactness is a moot.point in my mind, it's not that much more compact. And much less controllable. Idk seems hes asking for a lot, but wanting to keep just what he has.

my scrounges have been ample and frequent. even get some wood often enough. always rains oak where i live. never ends, and is constant. other day, heard a loud thundering crash as i was reading some posts on the AS! omg, what was that? QB looked out - a limb? yes... ours? no... across the street. omg, an oak tree had come down over at neighbor's... 100' or so from my curb's edge... :surprised3: would have been a widow maker, busted out chunk of concrete in driveway...P7170001.JPG
P7170002.JPGP7170003.JPG

they had a guy with a saw... come in and he cut it up and curbed it. trunk, too. was fast, doubt more than 35 mins and he was gone... so i went over... ck'd it out. see if wood... would... make a good scrounge? soon i knew... is free :givebeer: a :numberone: deal? lol ;) lots of wood there, better than a cord is my guess... and a lot just about in ready to use condition... imo, an ultimate carry-in scrounge...
P7170001.JPGP7170002.JPGP7170003.JPG

P7170004.JPGP7170005.JPGP7170007.JPG

my scrounges have been ample and frequent.
stopped by a rancher pal's place other day. had a bunch of pecans lying about below a med sized pecan tree. hmm, i thought... and cracked one. most been there for a bit of a spell. so l tasted it. nice! still sweet and tasty! :) so gathered up a bag. cracked them all, cleaned and dried. now ready for some homemade pecan pie with scrounged pecans... :rock:
P7220007.JPG
P7220008.JPGP7230010.JPGP7230011.JPGP7220006.JPG

intended use:
1613067365275.png

Super 2 is the powerhouse of that chassis too. IIRC, XL-2 is 26cc, XL is 30cc, and Super 2 is 34cc
This one I ported as well. Was still running her quite fat as she was only hitting 9k in the top. Slowly cleaning her up as it breaks in. 12700 now and still 4 stroking heavy.

We are at 15* f here today and 25 mph winds gusting to 40

I'd just like to know why is a top handle so sought after, and why the hate of the ms180? We ran them as truck saws at the township. They were always very reliable, had decent power and were very light. Arguably they took more abuse then the bigger pro models we had, and if im.not mistaken has the same engine construction as a ms 193.

Im not aware of any hate for the 180, I’m just trying to find one best suited for trail work. I’m not familiar with the 180. Without knowing the saw all I have to go on is if it’s a pro saw or not, until someone like you chimes in. I appreciate your input. Top handle doesn’t take as much room in a backpack, nothing sticking back. This helps answer your questions too “We ran them as truck saws at the township”. Weight and bulk isn’t much of an issue on a truck.

Im not aware of any hate for the 180, I’m just trying to find one best suited for trail work. I’m not familiar with the 180. Without knowing the saw all I have to go on is if it’s a pro saw or not, until someone like you chimes in. I appreciate your input. Top handle doesn’t take as much room in a backpack, nothing sticking back. This helps answer your questions too “We ran them as truck saws at the township”. Weight and bulk isn’t much of an issue on a truck.
Yes, that can explain the top handle position. Which is understandable. The ms180 is more or less the rear handle version of the 193t. No the truck doesnt care how much it weighs but it is very light, and I found them to very robust for how hard they were used,and little maintenance they required. Using them all day was never tiring, amd they could take 16" well, although slowly. I cant say that for the ms192tc I have. It has its hands full with a 14" bar.

Latest posts

Back