Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@mountainguyed67 . Here my input on the 180. My dad has been using and abusing them for many years. He's going to be 90 in June. He has been cutting about 10 cord or so per year. He literally runs them into the ground. Other than needed maintenance (when i do it)they seem to just keep running. Till they just quit. I do understand what you are saying about packing one in. I did run @James Miller s little echo top handle when he got it and seemed like a good running saw. I forget the model #.
that is my plan, too FS... keep running til i just quit! lol :cool: 10 cords a year @ 90! :surprised3: :numberone: i can only dream....

big ehcos... little echos... right up there with all the good saws! well, imo.... some stats:

Is Echo a good chainsaw?
"They just build good, honest equipment," one of our testers said. That's the Echo in a nutshell. It also has the best action on its chain-brake lever—crisp, with no slop. Finally, and perhaps most important, its engine operates with a broad torque curve, and that power comes shining through in the tough cuts

little echo top handle -
i sure do like my lil E CS-271T. :yes: ... :heart: it, in fact! takes on easily much of what my 026 used to be called to task on... imo, runs like a lil ported hornet with a tweak of timing added in just for grins... :) they have one even smaller... CS 2511T

my lil echo - like a cold :givebeer:, never fails! ;)
P7080008.JPGP7080009.JPG
1613141407472.png

Geez...now I'm a gonna have to go and buy an expensive store bought one. I got addicted to them in my years in Texas in the AF. Don't see them on the shelves here much.
hi tk - quicker than picking the nuts out of shells, of course you could just consider buying some pecans. they run about $8/# or so online... hmm, maybe we could swap Washington Delicious for some Texas Pecan Pie... ? ;)

how's the weather? hope u r staying warm... did some research other day on cherry orchards that used to be over in Wawawai before the Granite Dam flooded the area... on another thread. here's to WA :cheers:

Apparently you can run a ms180 one handed as well! Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

i run my 271T one-handed all the time when cutting the light stuff. kindling level to 1st level wood for fires. always 2 hands after that... OE chain and holds edges nicely on the chisels... if needs a kiss, i hand file them...

That chain sounded a bit loose, not.
Amazing the difference in cut times when one saw is tuned very fat and the other is just a little fat lol. I bet the one was 1-2k faster in the cut, translate that to around 15-25% more rpm in the cut and it certainly makes a difference. That being said I like to run my saws a bit fatter than some guys, no reason to mess with them with very passing breeze, it's just a waste of time if your not cutting timber to me.
The newest smaller stihl offering, the ms194 would be pretty nice in a rear handle version.
Here's my 192 rear handle. I modded the muffler, advanced the timing and then retuned(eliminated the limiter on the high side of the carb too).
"Sharp" chain that was on it when I got it, it was done by a local shop.
About 10sec average.

After I sharpened the chain.
About 4.5sec average.

Just a tad bit faster, around 4 sec but the wood was a good % bigger. Notice the chain wasn't grabbing as bad because of the power increase, the rpm come up much faster too which is nice when doing a bunch of little trees/branches.

MS200 rear handle, few more rpm :chainsaw:.

MS201 rear handle. Good torque compared to the 200 and much better fuel economy. I sold this one and the other one I had which was a standard carb, good thing I found another one to replace it, I like working smaller wood with these. I would have normally used a 50cc saw for this tree, but it didn't take much longer with the little 201, I just wanted to do a video so..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyfy774bsy0

i like that workbench for holding wood to cut...

I haven’t owned other top handle saws but I really like the echo 2511, would be my pick from what I know. And I would prefer a top handle also. I’ve carried it in a pack on my motorcycle clearing trails and it worked great. Things I don’t like-the 3/8 lp chain that comes on it. Converting to .043 gauge bar and chain or 1/4 pitch is supposed to be much better. The 3/8 chatters, kinda jumps up and down in bigger stuff. Sounds like the extra power from getting them ported eliminates the problem also.
:numberone:

i don't know where that trail pix was taken, Ln, but i have hiked that trail... :yes: or its kissn' cousin up in the High Cascades! thanks for the pix. made me smile.... :cool: great shot! ~

That’s a big job for that little saw, how’d it do? I thought it was odd that such a small saw has 3/8” chain, the XL has 1/4”. I forgot about your clearing trail on a motorcycle, compact is also a must on motorcycles. What are your reasons for preferring a top handle? Same as mine? I ran across this pic yesterday.
hi mg, might look like it, but from my experience the saw is more than up to the task! :)

I'm not much of a safety nazi, but wouldn't you want to at least put a bar cover on that thing :dumb:
Now if you get it covered and then put a pad on it it could be used as a backrest lol.
LOL - hi chipper! - i thot the same thing, but...
kinda like ur idea of a backrest better. could be ideal just lean back a bit to rest some from a long arduous hike that is not yet over.... as one keeps hiking ~

;)

It did ok, used about 1/3 of a tank of gas if I remember right so would definitely need extra gas (and oil) if you had very much to cut that size. It really has good power for its size/weight. Muffler mod helps and getting carb adjusted right, which I had a hard time with.
Yes for me I like top handle for compactness/ pack ability and being able to use my other hand. It’s my climbing/ tree work saw also.
i got my lil Echo just so i could have smallest saw made... at the time! it took to me almost instantly... err, or should i say... i took to it even faster!! ~ :cool:

A negative I see with the Echo is it isn’t customizable, you can get Stihl set up with whatever bar and chain you want. Echo seems to be take it or leave it.
from my experience, i cannot find any negatives about the lil Echos... i got a deal on my 271... about $275! NIB :) i see no reason to mod it up, as for me... designed for intended use... and has BIG b....s when called on to strut its stuff! :cool:

my echo struts its cockie lil self all the time. i am never not impressed!
1613142974497.png

He seems to be thinning a plantation, to harvest lumber in a few decades.
Yeah, nature doesn’t make flush cuts either. Might be private proprerty where they don’t care. It’s funny how strict the Park Service can be. One of the boys asked where he could pee. I said go pee on a tree, because it rhymed. I know you’re not supposed to pee “on” a tree, because the salt in your urine will attract animals and they will lick and chew on the bark. Before I could continue a lady Ranger I didn’t see, jumped on me and the kid. Said we had to pee on a flat rock like the girls did, not squat, to disperse the salts. Kind of took the fun out of being a guy in the big back yard. At home I’d just as soon pee in the back yard as in the house. At home if my pee hits the flat tile and dispearses, I get in big trouble!

Picked up the replacement rear today it's in real nice shape. Opened it up and everything is as it should be .looks like it just had a brake job View attachment 889217
Looks good.
Where'd you get it. I need to find a new rear, mine just don't get moving like it used to :laughing: .

That chain sounded a bit loose, not.
Amazing the difference in cut times when one saw is tuned very fat and the other is just a little fat lol. I bet the one was 1-2k faster in the cut, translate that to around 15-25% more rpm in the cut and it certainly makes a difference. That being said I like to run my saws a bit fatter than some guys, no reason to mess with them with very passing breeze, it's just a waste of time if your not cutting timber to me.
The newest smaller stihl offering, the ms194 would be pretty nice in a rear handle version.
Here's my 192 rear handle. I modded the muffler, advanced the timing and then retuned(eliminated the limiter on the high side of the carb too).
"Sharp" chain that was on it when I got it, it was done by a local shop.
About 10sec average.

After I sharpened the chain.
About 4.5sec average.

Just a tad bit faster, around 4 sec but the wood was a good % bigger. Notice the chain wasn't grabbing as bad because of the power increase, the rpm come up much faster too which is nice when doing a bunch of little trees/branches.

MS200 rear handle, few more rpm :chainsaw:.

MS201 rear handle. Good torque compared to the 200 and much better fuel economy. I sold this one and the other one I had which was a standard carb, good thing I found another one to replace it, I like working smaller wood with these. I would have normally used a 50cc saw for this tree, but it didn't take much longer with the little 201, I just wanted to do a video so..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyfy774bsy0

Only problem I see with holding rounds in the splitter for sawing is that for wood that size, I usually just go ahead and pinch the round off the main stem. Don't need a saw for those small rounds.

Back