Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I set up my X320, the actual cast iron suitcase weights were god awful expensive. I scrounged a bucket full of wheel weights and melted them down with a camp stove and a rosebud and used a dollar store bread pan for a mold. I believe I had just shy of 120lbs. to start with, and I ended up with 4 weights that averaged 24lbs. after the rim clips were skimmed off. If memory serves me right, the angle iron frame weighed around eight lbs.View attachment 890308View attachment 890309View attachment 890310
I plan on something like that, or mount a receiver hitch to a heavy piece of 3X5 angle that I can take on and off. For now I just set one on the hitch, ratchet strapped it on. Then set the other on top and ratchet strapped it around both. It's good and tight, and will work for now. I probably have about 400 pounds of Mono Type, but it's too good of lead to use for weights. Here's what I have for now. plus the two 50 pound wheel weights. I wound up paying $40 for the two weights at an auction, plus tax.
quXP5VV.jpg

y5PZ4kX.jpg

5SA5kvN.jpg

Another snow storm headed our way tomorrow and into Fri. Been a heck of a February!

Snow is still about a foot deep and has been here since the Feb first. Been a while since we have had snow stay like that! Looks like it will still be around at the end of the month.

The storms have been playing havoc with my schedule. Some of my RR workers had to cancel because they have been ordered to stay on the job overnight!

Got 2 emails and a text last night. First email said we were closed today. Second email said that didnt apply to the mechanics, then a text from my supervisor that said to ignore all emails, all shifts were expected to report for work today. I dont mind driving in the snow, or showing up for work, but my work is largely outside at heights and were not allowed to work in inclement weather. So indoors bored till quitting time.

When I set up my X320, the actual cast iron suitcase weights were god awful expensive. I scrounged a bucket full of wheel weights and melted them down with a camp stove and a rosebud and used a dollar store bread pan for a mold. I believe I had just shy of 120lbs. to start with, and I ended up with 4 weights that averaged 24lbs. after the rim clips were skimmed off. If memory serves me right, the angle iron frame weighed around eight lbs.View attachment 890308View attachment 890309View attachment 890310
One of the guys on MYTRACTOR said he used to work for a place that calibrated big "balances", scales. He said they are calibration weights. Said I could probably get $100 to $150 apiece for them. That would get me a few JD suit case weights?

One of the guys on MYTRACTOR said he used to work for a place that calibrated big "balances", scales. He said they are calibration weights. Said I could probably get $100 to $150 apiece for them. That would get me a few JD suit case weights?
That's what they are Joe. When the dept of ag guy came to check my scale in the produce market he had ones just like that in different weight sizes. I found a 110 lb JD suitcase weight laying along the road. Dang was that hard lifting that thing up on the tailgate.

Temperature rose to 18* this morning with plenty of sunshine and a bearable north wind. Decided it was as good a day as any to put old red back together after plastering a big doe a few weeks ago. Can't complain, a China's best aftermarket grill, both headlight brackets, a pair of turn signal bulbs and a can of Ace hardware banner red gloss enamel was just under $150.View attachment 890322View attachment 890323View attachment 890324
HaHa, a couple months ago we had a day with 35-50 MPH winds. Came around a gentle curve and a big blue recycle bin took off and flew in to my headlight, 2018 F150. OEM was $750, after market was $275. Since I'd been up to the farm in WV, the truck was covered in dust, dirt, and mud. I took it by the collision center to see if the saw more damage than I did. Yep. I called my insurance and they said they wanted all OEM parts used to repair it. The collision center gave me a price of $1250. You have to pull the bumper to replace the head light and bucket. Once they were into it the bumper was bent, the bumper brackets were bent, some plastic stuff broke. Final price to fix one smashed headlight, $2700.

That's what they are Joe. When the dept of ag guy came to check my scale in the produce market he had ones just like that in different weight sizes. I found a 110 lb JD suitcase weight laying along the road. Dang was that hard lifting that thing up on the tailgate.
I'd like to find a few more, the stack really well.

I had a hunch that's what they were for. I bought my x320 in 2011, and I think the 42lb. JD suitcase weights were close to $70 a piece at the time and no one in the area had any aftermarket solution that was cheaper. Scrap prices were also super high at the time and you couldn't find used appliances laying around let alone anything cast iron!

HaHa, a couple months ago we had a day with 35-50 MPH winds. Came around a gentle curve and a big blue recycle bin took off and flew in to my headlight, 2018 F150. OEM was $750, after market was $275. Since I'd been up to the farm in WV, the truck was covered in dust, dirt, and mud. I took it by the collision center to see if the saw more damage than I did. Yep. I called my insurance and they said they wanted all OEM parts used to repair it. The collision center gave me a price of $1250. You have to pull the bumper to replace the head light and bucket. Once they were into it the bumper was bent, the bumper brackets were bent, some plastic stuff broke. Final price to fix one smashed headlight, $2700.
I don't think my truck's worth $2,700, she's getting pretty rough.

We had some at the grain elevator I worked at when I was younger we also scales with a place on the back you can put them to increase the amount you can weigh

I only have a Heatilator fireplace. The sheet metal firebox type with a double wall sheet metal flue pipe. Something about cooling flue gases condensing as creosote. So I've been told. I only burn seasoned hardwoods and I clean out about a cup every month.
to me, that is interesting. wondering what model you have?...

I don't go out of my way for sass but it is a good fire starter. I found some splits in a pile of wood i had bought and it was super dry and very light. I guess the guy I got this load from was a real scrounger. I found about a dozen or so wrist size pieces of grapevine cut to length. :crazy2: That stuff is great fire starter.
many ways to start a fire. along more traditional lines... one thing for sure. kindling is king! lol. never have tried sass wood... i use pine cause i get so much drop. also cut, split, etc sections of cedar fence is good, too. one of my favs. got some old cedar fence just for such purposes...

-38 again. According to the weather report, this is at least the beginning of the end.
hi svk - if that was here, would definitely be the beginning of the end! lol... now going into cleanup and restoration phases they mentioned on tv news this morning, er: temps coming. or many will be the beginning of the end. big messes ahead. busted pipes.

guess the VDD double date went well! :heart: i can remember being 15 and had a gf same age. to go out, neighbor drove us with them couple times... :)

It’s trued rem 700 243win 28” 1:7. Shooting 115’s at 3030.
That was one of the hardest pack out of my life. Packed out that bear solo, 2 miles back to camp 1000’ down. Brothers pack was full so we loaded it all in my pack. View attachment 889799
swell pix! enjoyed seeing it. thx for posting it. as they say, one pix worth a thou words... :)

SVK, A decade or two ago, while bow hunting on DEP property in Carmel NY, I saw a Red Headed Woodpecker that was just as large as the largest Pileated Woodpecker I have ever seen. I saw it very clearly two days in a row. I did not report it at the time as I did not realize they are not supposed to get that big. The bird was beautiful, especially in flight (a lot of black/white pattern). Never seen one before or since nearly that large. Wish I had a pic of it.
i see them in my yard from time to time. rat, a tat tat tat... and again... then again! dont like them to be there, although beautiful bird... leaves holes in the pines.

Latest posts

Back