Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a hard time saying no to tires. I’ll save a good tire even if it doesn’t fit something I have at the moment.
I know the feeling! LOL. I've gifted several brand new spare trailer wheel/tire assemblies to friends. I usually picked them up for next to nothing from other friends or garage sales. Somehow people buy trailers but never have a spare to go with it.

One Mitchell and one Shakespeare have bad bail springs. I usually save up till I have a couple of broken ones then bring them or mail them to a reel repair shop. The last place in Minneapolis didn’t do a great job for me so I’m trying a place in Wisconsin this time.

Five of these (the two old levelwind, the Heddon, and two Mitchells belonged to my dad and grandpa plus one Mitchell from my great uncle. I’ve put the levelwind reels through their paces but use the others sparingly.

I do have a lot but at the same point with seven people in the family we do use a number of them frequently (my wife has 3 pink reels of her own for various applications.

I used to but need to start acquiring lures again. They are so damn expensive now too, even jigs! I tie my own spinners so will be doing that before walleye opener starts as I have plenty of components.
As with chainsaws, finding someone to competently repair reels is a hard thing to find. There use to be a repair shop in St. Louis that I went to years ago to try to buy bail springs. I had used them before with success. This time, the only person there was more interested in playing with his phone and not helping me. They went under shortly after that. That's why I try to repair both, saws and reels, myself.

The crazy thing is I can build nearly anything mechanical and I still can’t reliably change a bail spring.

The last place I went to wasn’t too helpful. I think 2 or 3 of the reels they repaired didn’t work and they made excuses. It was cheap so I walked away rather than trying to deal with unmotivated people.

One thing I’ve done a lot of is strip reels of the heavy grease they come with from the factory and replace with a light oil so they can be used for ice fishing. Even at 30 degrees you can barely crank some of them because everything is so gummed up. If a guy really wanted to do it right you could use graphite but light oil works fine for as cold as I want to fish.

One thing I’ve done a lot of is strip reels of the heavy grease they come with from the factory and replace with a light oil so they can be used for ice fishing. Even at 30 degrees you can barely crank some of them because everything is so gummed up. If a guy really wanted to do it right you could use graphite but light oil works fine for as cold as I want to fish.
I wish we had (could go) ice fishing around here. Would make the Winters more bearable.

At a glance, all of yours were probably made in France by Garcia. The one's with the wing shaped anti'reverse lever definitely were for sure,
To my knowledge all Mitchell’s were made by Garcia. Which one in the pic caught your eye?
( unless parts have been swapped). Garcia sold the rights to the Mitchell series of reels to Johnson outdoors in 1980, and they sold it to pure fishing in the early 90's. At some point in the 80's, production moved from France to Hi-Fong-Wu, and that's when the plastic bodies, plastic side covers and plastic rotors destroyed the most iconic reel in the history of the sport.

France is what I remembered as point of manufacture for the Garcia Mitchell reels. Early '60s as a kid I felt like the richest soul on earth when I had a Garcia Mitchell 300 in my hands.

I inherited my dad's 308 (I think that's the correct #), the mini size. Was a prized possession of mine. Took my son fishing on a local lake (think he was about 8 yrs old) and he fumbled & dropped the rig overboard. It stung, but I couldn't say a word beyond "Could've happened to anyone."

Still have a 300 sitting on a shelf at camp. Can't recall but I think the bail spring might have been its only problem.

Shimano Sahara reels are my go-to now.

How you guys holding out on wood for the rest of this yr.
I took a couple more wheelbarrow loads out after the picture and I will need to get more tomorrow. Pretty confident I'll have enough here for the rest of the yr.
View attachment 890915

Pretty sure I've got enough wood to get through the summer. :laugh:

Pretty sure I've got enough wood to get through the summer. :laugh:
That's funny stuff right there lol.
I just hauled in a couple medium wheelbarrow loads to fill the rack, and one large one that will get left in the wheelbarrow.
Should be good until next weekend. I wasn't out, but there is snow coming tomorrow and I figured why not get this done ahead of it since I have time today.
Also cleaned the snow off the excursion and gave it a jump, I'll be replacing the battery soon. Moved it to the area I cleared out for splitting next week so I can clear the trailer off there. Spring isn't far out for us, I see the maples showing buds already, won't be long and we'll be as warm as it is there.
Have a great Monday.

Sitting here watching the snow melt. Was about 10" total on the ground a few days ago. Been a few degees above freezing for 4 days, today starts the serious thaw. 38* and a strong breeze going. I'm hoping for several days of split/haul/pile of the old locust bunch before my surgery on the 4th. Definitely not looking forward to 6 weeks of 'do nothing'...

Wa state opened up for limited business now so out coffee group is back in business. Everything has been closed sine last November. Just me in house that long other than a weekly shopping spree got real old, really fast.

France is what I remembered as point of manufacture for the Garcia Mitchell reels. Early '60s as a kid I felt like the richest soul on earth when I had a Garcia Mitchell 300 in my hands.

I inherited my dad's 308 (I think that's the correct #), the mini size. Was a prized possession of mine. Took my son fishing on a local lake (think he was about 8 yrs old) and he fumbled & dropped the rig overboard. It stung, but I couldn't say a word beyond "Could've happened to anyone."

Still have a 300 sitting on a shelf at camp. Can't recall but I think the bail spring might have been its only problem.

Shimano Sahara reels are my go-to now.
We had 3-4 of them back in the day. The only one left is a 308 my dad purchased from K-mart when my mom worked there. Mom quit her job at K-mart shortly before my sister was born, in 1969.

Question for the Hive Mind:

For some reason, the valve stems on the tires of all our cars are buried these days behind the wheel covers, making them hard to reach with my tire pressure gauges and air compressor. PIA tonight when all the tire pressure warning lights went off with this stupid cold weather.

1. Do I buy new pressure gauges (one for each car, plus a spare or two) and a new inflator thingy, that all reach into these spaces (higher cost option)?, or
2. Do I just buy a few valve extenders and screw them on, temporarily, as needed (low cost option)?, or
3. Both, because one thing or another will get lost when I need it?

I'm thinking that these will be easier to seal against those pesky tire stems, than the 'ball' end ones I have now
View attachment 889910View attachment 889911View attachment 889912
This is what I went with (L to R):
- the old style, ball air chuck that would not seat easily on some short valves (for reference);
- simple, straight air chuck that came in an air compressor accessory kit many years ago;
- straight shot 'pencil' pressure gauge, 0- 60 psi;
- dual end inflator;
- valve extenders, to keep in the glove box of each car, in case I am at a gas station somewhere and have to use their hose, etc.;
- dial type pressure gauge with straight on inlet, and release valve, 0- 60 psi.

IMG_1123.jpg

The chains (because someone is going to ask) is to keep the small parts from getting lost. They get clipped to a wire shelf next to my hose reel, so that they don't fall off and roll behind something, when I am using a different accessory.

Philbert

Guys, I do believe I have RAD. Lol.

This doesn’t include the several reels on ice rods, my Muskie reel, nor my vintage spincast or levelwind reels.
View attachment 890961
Being on the East Coast all of my stuff was surf gear. I had a few small Mitchell Salt Water Reels. I did have a bunch of stainless 1950's vintage bait casters. I had one NIB DAMM QUICK 5000. I took it into a tackle shop in Ocean City MD. When I took it out of the box he said, "I'll spool it up for you, but I don't want to. You can sell it on line and make enough to buy a new Tuna size reel". I put it on ebay and made enough to buy a Savage 1899 I wanted. The rest didn't sell for beans. Looks like you have a few old Mitchell's in your pile. I think I sold every thing but 4-5 big Penn's and 4-5 medium Daiwa's.

Took my MIL's car in for some service a while back. Tire place will not touch tires that are over 7 years old, except to check pressure, or replace them. They will not patch a leak, replace a stem, balance them, etc.

Philbert
I know a lot of the national chain tire stores won't touch anything 10 years or older but haven't heard a 7 year limit. I'm about done with them for that reason alone and happy to pay a few more dollars to the local mom and pop shop.

The chains (because someone is going to ask) is to keep the small parts from getting lost. They get clipped to a wire shelf next to my hose reel, so that they don't fall off and roll behind something, when I am using a different accessory.
I knew what the chains were for, I was just going to say, what a good idea. Mine sets on a shelf and I constantly knock it into a pile of junk below.

Took my MIL's car in for some service a while back. Tire place will not touch tires that are over 7 years old, except to check pressure, or replace them. They will not patch a leak, replace a stem, balance them, etc.

Philbert
I've never heard that, but I don't blame them. My smallest trailer is road legal and has 15" car tires on it. Loaded to it's max it holds half a cord. I haven't had it on the road in several years. The tires on it were brand new, and at most have maybe 2,000 miles on them. I noticed they had lumps forming on the sidewalls. Kinda looked like the hernia on my belly. My mechanic said the side walls were breaking down. He knows I mostly use it around the house and said to keep doing that. But, if I wanted to take it on the road, new tires were a must. I believe him.

Latest posts

Back