Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was running a 461. He told me his dad has a saw shop. They were from Punxsutawney PA. That's over 3 hours from here. :crazy2:
I saw those, all their equipment looked pretty new. That's a long haul, wonder if they had another family they stay with and have the logs shipped. They're very resourceful people even with all the rules they follow.

My wife wants to move to Wyoming. Shes only seen it in summer ,need to show her this pic. When I move out of NY there will be no winter season ..lol
The winter season is what held my wife and I from moving out to the family ranch in Montana. She hates winter to the point if she didnt have to work she wouldnt leave the house. Kinda a deal breaker in that case. Which is funny to me because she spent so much of her younger years out there and always talks fondly of it.

Yeah, I have seven of those trailers, they hold more than they should. That one rolled off the bank and had some minor damage so we decided to hack it up.

I had to refer back to the pic, but that was an odd pull. It was tilted up at an odd angle. The log was over another locust and against a small standing tree. You would have thought that pulling from the end would have given me the extra leverage, nada. Pulled from the sticking point and it came out. The physics I can't explain, but it worked.

Shea
Where'd you get all those, the auction?
I figured there was a reason, I've had to do that a few times in odd situations. I don't work on the steep hills like you do so I didn't know if it had something to do with that. When I do it I usually am pulling the log up tight to the blade and then up to the hitch, if you do it just right you can get the log to become part of the tractor, the tail will then stay directly behind you and won't hit any trees or other obstacles you're going around.
I haven't used my winch for skidding in quite a while, usually use it for falling back leaning trees.

I’m a bit OCD

When I want to go somewhere in the morning I like to have everything loaded the night before. Heading to the cabin (at some point this morning) to drive dock poles while the ice is still good.

Yesterday was my wife’s birthday so didn’t get my **** loaded. So here we are, nearly 9:00 and I’m bumbling through the garage looking for things. Still have to load the four wheeler and stop at the hardware store.

I had that type splitting maul a long time ago, but the handle broke off. I still have the handle as a cheater pipe.
My Dad bought that when I was a teenager, hated buying new wood handles. We use it to hit things now.
Where'd you get all those, the auction?
I figured there was a reason, I've had to do that a few times in odd situations. I don't work on the steep hills like you do so I didn't know if it had something to do with that. When I do it I usually am pulling the log up tight to the blade and then up to the hitch, if you do it just right you can get the log to become part of the tractor, the tail will then stay directly behind you and won't hit any trees or other obstacles you're going around.
I haven't used my winch for skidding in quite a while, usually use it for falling back leaning trees.
I used to buy/sell some surplus as a hobby. When Ritchie bros. got the contract for wheeled items they brought a much larger audience and the prices have increased ever since. I don't buy hardly anything unless I'm looking for something specific. Also, those trailers get wood stacked in them and brought up to the boiler as needed. I find it to work pretty well.

As far as bringing it up to the winch I try to leave just a bit of slack. When I pick up the winch to move I don't like the wood to contact and tighten up too much, adds a lot of weight to the back end, screws with front end steering and traction, and can make things a tad unstable if not perfect. Like you said though, there isn't a level logging road I cut off of up here. That road I pulled that locust up is deceptively steep. They cut it down the spine of a ridge. I love the challenge of pulling some of these trees from deep in the 'hollers'. Two pulleys, one of which is self-releasing and an extra section of cable give me about 270' of 15yr old pain and agony. Makes my cold heart grin watching him pull cable that far. If I find a pic I'll show you, he's a horse.

Shea

I’m a bit OCD

When I want to go somewhere in the morning I like to have everything loaded the night before. Heading to the cabin to drive dock poles while the ice is still good.

Yesterday was my wife’s birthday so didn’t get my **** loaded. So here we are, nearly 9:00 and I’m bumbling through the garage looking for things. Still have to load the four wheeler and stop at the hardware store.
The other day I rushed out of the house to deliver a saw about an HR and a half away, about 45 min into the trip I was like crap. Realized I forgot the saw. The great thing was my wife loaded it in the van and met me at the expressway, saved me about 10 min, could have been worse.
Hope your trip is better than mine :surprised3: .

The winter season is what held my wife and I from moving out to the family ranch in Montana. She hates winter to the point if she didnt have to work she wouldnt leave the house. Kinda a deal breaker in that case. Which is funny to me because she spent so much of her you get years out there and always talks fondly of it.
On average I would say that folks back east get more snow than we do here in Wyoming. The biggest issue here is the wind it can be relentless.
Also where I live there is not a lot of trees so scrounging firewood is not easy.

The other day I rushed out of the house to deliver a saw about an HR and a half away, about 45 min into the trip I was like crap. Realized I forgot the saw. The great thing was my wife loaded it in the van and met me at the expressway, saved me about 10 min, could have been worse.
Hope your trip is better than mine :surprised3: .
Been there.

I think I have everything I need. Maybe.

The main thing is being able to set poles today. If I can get the thing framed up that’s a bonus.

VID_20210308_183809820_exported_9260_1615914081997.jpgIMG_20191111_152412126.jpg

The bottom pic is from a year ago before the growth spurt. The top pic is from the weekend. My 5'7" 175# draft horse. He's repping 245# on his deadlift. He is trying to drop a little weight for wrestling season, but not so much it will drop his ability to gain strength. Stupid strong for most 15yr olds.

Shea

I picked up the saws already, then they called an hour later saying they need me to bring them back because they were already sold, but they forgot to put them aside. I would have first dibs when more arrived. At first he wanted one back, and I was ready to do that. Then he said they needed both back, and tried to trade me bigger saws. At that point I said “You know, we bought them, and we have them, whatever you’re trying to do isn’t my problem”. He said okay, and hung up.

In a way I feel bad, and maybe I burned a bridge. But I think a sale is a sale...

CF23F53C-DDF9-4EED-B407-E537C68EB32B.jpeg

I picked up the saws already, then they called an hour later saying they need me to bring them back because they were already sold, but they forgot to put them aside. I would have first dibs when more arrived. At first he wanted one back, and I was ready to do that. Then he said they needed both back, and tried to trade me bigger saws. At that point I said “You know, we bought them, and we have them, whatever you’re trying to do isn’t my problem”. He said okay, and hung up.

In a way I feel bad, and maybe I burned a bridge. But I think a sale is a sale...

View attachment 895243
What kind of BS was that? What's the chances of someone else buying two of the exact same saws at the same time as you? Did he sell them to you too cheap and was going to try to sell you a price increase? Glad you held your ground. You waited long enough for them.

What kind of BS was that? What's the chances of someone else buying two of the exact same saws at the same time as you? Did he sell them to you too cheap and was going to try to sell you a price increase? Glad you held your ground. You waited long enough for them.

I can only speculate. It’s weird, and unprofessional. Plus unless they were paid for it wasn’t any different than our situation, he knew we were working on approval.

View attachment 895243
I would have done the same. Good looking saws.

Very unprofessional on his part.

Got three poles set on rock today and part of the frame put together. Wasn’t able to hit solid bottom closer to shore till I was about 10’ down so I’m going to need to use metal dock poles (expensive but necessary). Luckily I should have enough decking for the whole project from scrounged projects so I don’t need to pay scalper rates for lumber right now.

Sure beats trying to drive poles from a boat!!

BTW the water is as high as it’s going to get so I set the top of the beams 12” above that.

7A04505E-D7AC-4E5D-916C-34AEBE9DC40C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back