Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the foreign car manufacturers had a recent recall on their electric cars. I don't remember make/model, but I vaguely remember replacement costs of the batteries was $11k. I have Li ion batteries that I have to replace every couple of years so if car batteries are any thing like that, you'd have to figure in the cost of batteries periodically if you planned on keeping it for any time. Supposedly, there's an environmental mess that's created by mining the metal for the batteries. Maybe I'm wrong.

One of the foreign car manufacturers had a recent recall on their electric cars. I don't remember make/model, but I vaguely remember replacement costs of the batteries was $11k. I have Li ion batteries that I have to replace every couple of years so if car batteries are any thing like that, you'd have to figure in the cost of batteries periodically if you planned on keeping it for any time. Supposedly, there's an environmental mess that's created by mining the metal for the batteries. Maybe I'm wrong.
your not wrong..electric cars and their NON recyclable batterys are a joke......

Tesla has some problems (crashes) with their auto-pilot in recent months, but people like their cars. Range is a concern for me.

But, imagine 100 years ago, trying to convince people that there would be tanks of gasoline stashed all over the entire US, allowing people to drive wherever they wanted, and fill-up their horseless buggies in every city, and at regular spacing along major roadways . . .

Philbert

imagine 100 years ago, trying to convince people that there would be tanks of gasoline stashed all over the entire US, allowing people to drive wherever they wanted, and fill-up their horseless buggies in every city, and at regular spacing along major roadways . .

I think you need to increase that number to make it work.

Making batteries is one of the most polluting things on the planet. Chevy knows what it's like to totally flop on an e vehicle. But hey they can dream. Battery tech isnt there yet. Said this many times before. Besides that just charging the e vehicle takes major amounts of energy, that all needs produced by something. Were all against nuclear energy, wind and solar only work when theres wind and sun, and have short lifespans to boot. Hydro seems to be getting phased out quickly too. So that leaves with coal, gas, and fuel power plants. Seen a few adding wood into the coal but even so theres not enough wood in the world to go full on wood for all production. Guy made a comment about hydrogen, that take tremendous amounts of electricity to crack water. Were not going to see any big changes till we are in our last drop of crude. The tech isnt there yet, and theres toomuch money in fossil fuels, so till the Saudi kings learn how to make power from sand well still be on the pipe line. Just I the usa alone we can go for hundreds of year on our own reserves. Let alone the rest of the world. I'm all for progress but give me a good viable cheap or same price alternative. Dont see many used priuses at the dealers lots for a reason.

your not wrong..electric cars and their NON recyclable batterys are a joke......
Don’t engineers identify problems and points of failure which leads to further development and technology refinement over time?

Think about the fuel savings in the Ag industry.

Again, off topic but related to all our interests as wood scroungers and chainsaw enthusiasts.

I guess it depends upon where they come from and where they are. We have a growing Mennonite Community in this area along with several other type groups of different sects. Rules and regulations including taxation should apply to all should you choose to live here. Then again its not much different than the millions of Americans that have chosen to live here on expired visitors visas over the past year, working "remotely" or just getting the hell out.
I saw those, all their equipment looked pretty new. That's a long haul, wonder if they had another family they stay with and have the logs shipped. They're very resourceful people even with all the rules they follow.s

You're probably right. I've always bought 2WD trucks. But in 5 years, would I be able to find a 8' bed? I was told by an un-official source that the don't make them any more. Or at least very few. Just thinking out loud about buying a commuter :) .
Back around 2000 I shopped for an F150 8'bed no options. "Special order only"

On par with my 07 Cummins . Very rare I'm not towing with it
That gas engine isn't too bad, kinda weak compared to my diesel. My 01 Dodge at the same 65 will get 19 mpg. It's got 276k and pulls like a champ. Converting it to 4.10s, tired of pulling my fully loaded dump trailer with the 3.54s. Not stock though.

Shea

My 01 Dodge at the same 65 will get 19 mpg. It's got 276k and pulls like a champ. Converting it to 4.10s, tired of pulling my fully loaded dump trailer with the 3.54s. Not stock though.
I ordered my 01 Dodge Cummins with 4.10 gears and put almost 37" tires on when the odometer was under 200 miles. Bigger injectors and Edge Comp at low miles also, so not stock. With the 6 speed I always found myself looking for 7th gear, even with the big tires. Felt like a 70mph max truck with stock tires. Of course I've been known to "crowd" the speed limit. Maybe it's different with the auto.

I did have a 98 5.9L gas auto and thought the 3.54 was better all around also. Drop out of overdrive when towing and not screaming when unloaded.

Just my experience. Yours may be different.

I ordered my 01 Dodge Cummins with 4.10 gears and put almost 37" tires on when the odometer was under 200 miles. Bigger injectors and Edge Comp at low miles also, so not stock. With the 6 speed I always found myself looking for 7th gear, even with the big tires. Felt like a 70mph max truck with stock tires. Of course I've been known to "crowd" the speed limit. Maybe it's different with the auto.

I did have a 98 5.9L gas auto and thought the 3.54 was better all around also. Drop out of overdrive when towing and not screaming when unloaded.

Just my experience. Yours may be different.
I've got bosch RV injectors, borg warner turbo, and a Smarty tuner. The auto has been upgraded twice. Pulling around 16k kills the gearing. If doesn't travel distance anymore, and I have two sets of wheels/tires for it.

Shea

Making batteries is one of the most polluting things on the planet. Chevy knows what it's like to totally flop on an e vehicle. But hey they can dream. Battery tech isnt there yet. Said this many times before. Besides that just charging the e vehicle takes major amounts of energy, that all needs produced by something. Were all against nuclear energy, wind and solar only work when theres wind and sun, and have short lifespans to boot. Hydro seems to be getting phased out quickly too. So that leaves with coal, gas, and fuel power plants. Seen a few adding wood into the coal but even so theres not enough wood in the world to go full on wood for all production. Guy made a comment about hydrogen, that take tremendous amounts of electricity to crack water. Were not going to see any big changes till we are in our last drop of crude. The tech isnt there yet, and theres toomuch money in fossil fuels, so till the Saudi kings learn how to make power from sand well still be on the pipe line. Just I the usa alone we can go for hundreds of year on our own reserves. Let alone the rest of the world. I'm all for progress but give me a good viable cheap or same price alternative. Dont see many used priuses at the dealers lots for a reason.
I dont think the chevy venture into electric cars was a total flop. The problem was that chevy never actually sold any of those electric vehicles and chose to lease them instead. The chevy experience turned out that the reduced maintenance resulted in a lost of profits for the dealers. When it came time for the lease on the electric vehicles expired, chevy recalled all the electric cars and crushed them. They refused to let the public keep any of the cars, even tho the public `tried to purchase the vehicles they had leased. Very few of chevy's electric cars survived the crusher. There is a movie somewhere called, Who killed the electric car, that might be worth looking up.

On another note, I read somewhere where people where taking their cars and converting them to run with electic motors and where using lawnmower engines to keep the batteries charged. Not sure how that works out. Still using fossil fuels to make electricity.

They already do lol.
I drive my little beater 96 civic hatch all the time. It's pretty rough, but I don't really care what others think; I've had nice vehicles and they didn't do much for me except cost more.
Here's the one I'd really like if there is no rust.
@muad :popcorn2:.
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/grand-rapids-2004-excursion-2500-xlt/7293158988.html
I guess if you're going to sell it that's bests. If not I'd pull it, or measure it and send it to Kevin to have the base cut, but heck then you might as well have him set the squish and open the ports a bit :chainsaw:. Okay, just pull the gasket lol.

That's a BIG truck for that little 5.4L V8.

I'd prefer the V10, or better yet a 7.3 ;)

Hmm, maybe I can swap in one of those new Godzilla 7.3s......

They already do lol.
I drive my little beater 96 civic hatch all the time. It's pretty rough, but I don't really care what others think; I've had nice vehicles and they didn't do much for me except cost more.
Here's the one I'd really like if there is no rust.
@muad :popcorn2:.
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/grand-rapids-2004-excursion-2500-xlt/7293158988.html
I guess if you're going to sell it that's bests. If not I'd pull it, or measure it and send it to Kevin to have the base cut, but heck then you might as well have him set the squish and open the ports a bit :chainsaw:. Okay, just pull the gasket lol.

That's a BIG truck for that little 5.4L V8.

I'd prefer the V10, or better yet a 7.3 ;)

Hmm, maybe I can swap in one of those new Godzilla 7.3s......

Regarding elect. vs fuel fired vehicles, I read a book a few years back (forgot the title) about the end of the whaling industry. The whale ship operators were a wealthy bunch centered in (I think I remember right) New Bedford, Mass. Back then, all lamp oil, all lubrication came from whale oil.

The whaling was slowing some anyway, due to the #s being taken. Then along came this upstart technology when some folks found a new type of oil in the ground in Pennsylvania. A few of those old whaling operators thought they had the world by the balls and that nothing would take that away. Their world was gone a few years later.

Things change in this world. The old saying was something about buggy whip makers--who ever thought you could live without 'em.

I do not care what type of energy gets me from point A to point B. BUT a lot of the expectations for future vehicles may be pie in the sky thinking. We need to look at what is realistic

The other issue (as noted) is as the electric cars get older you have to look at the cost of replacement as well as the cost and environmental impact of disposing of components.

I personally am a big fan of diesel engines in passenger vehicles. We are finally getting some light duty vehicles (plus the VW cars excluding their warranty fiasco a few years ago). Obviously someone did not want us getting them sooner as they could have had full fledged diesel powered vehicles 20 years sooner than we did. But that is another story.

The other issue is cost. There will always be a subset of people who cannot afford anything more than a 300-500 dollar car. Let's say we go to all electric new cars...what happens when the supply of gas powered junkers dries up and you need a vehicle that needs a minimum of $4000 worth of batteries to keep it going? Lots of people will no longer be driving.

My prediction-electric and diesel vehicles will increase as a percentage but gas powered engines will be around for a LONG time.

Latest posts

Back