Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the daughter's bday party is tomorrow, and our grill is toast. Have 20+ people coming over (all vaccinated and triple masked ;) ), so I needed to get something today.

Went to buy a nice Weber Master-touch for $220 at Lowes, and also checked out the Acorn (cheap egg grill). The Weber was nice, and supposedly USA made. I wanted it. Wife wanted propane, I wanted charcoal. She found a compromise, and we picked up an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. Has a propane side and a charcoal side, with a smokebox also.

Sucker has to weigh 400 pounds! All metal wheels too. Still made in China, which sucks, but it is well built/heavy duty. But, $600 later after adding the grill cover and taxes.

Thanks uncle joe!!

;)
With a name like Oklahoma Joe, how could you go wrong?

Looks similar and sounds similar to my 1967 58 c.c. Pioneer 11-60 , I would keep it for sentimental reasons alone lol.
That's what I tell my wife, it's sentimental. But when she looks at 10 shelves in the garage with 70+ saws, and calls it hording, I can't argue. I started collecting the 70's Homelites we used when I first started climbing for my Dad. Then threw in some Macs, and then some echo's. It's just hording, I admit it.

Got around to fiddling with my cheap marketplace ice auger. Pretty much every fastener was loose and the fuel smelled like it was siphoned from a model t. A little tightening and cleaning, fresh fuel with a dash of seafoam and its aliiive!
https://youtube.com/shorts/pXsi-HvxWkE
Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

What battery tools do you have.
The 60 volt dewalt battery lasts forever on my impact, but it feels like it weighs about 4 times as much at thee standard 20 volt.

Looking forward to more pics of the dock, I liked the innovation doing it thru the ice like that, why get in the water if you don't have to.
20V Dewalt. I just have two of the standard capacity batteries.

For 20V Dewalt have a 1/4” impact, 1/2” drill, Sawzall, and just ordered a 1/2” impact. Also have a 1/2” drill and circular saw in the old 18V setup. Have one adapter to run the 20V batteries and it works great. I read that it will drain batteries if you leave it hooked up for long periods so I remove the battery at the end of the day. But that 40 dollar adapter saved me from having to buy a 20V circular saw.

I probably should invest in some high capacity batteries.

Beautiful day. 57 degrees at 5:00 so must have been in the 60’s before. Definitely got a lot of sun on my face but not burned.

Got the dock all but done. Was two 8’ 2x6’s short but I’ve got plenty of lumber at home. Will need to drive another set of poles at the bog line and re-shore up the back of it when the frost comes out but everything looks good for now.
Also will do X beams to reinforce the wood poles once the ice melts.

All of this lumber was either scrounged or leftovers from other projects so I’ve only invested my time plus $35 in torx screws into the project. Plus one lost torx bit.
794E8FBC-D2D9-4ED7-88BC-092E402CC5ED.jpeg

With a name like Oklahoma Joe, how could you go wrong?

The grill worked out very well today. I did a little experiment, I ran both propane and then on the other side I ran a mix of charcoal cherry and Apple, with a little Ash mixed in. I would start the burgers on the propane, then when it was time ti flip I flipped them over to the coal/wood side to finish them off. I used the "natural" cowboy coal, which I really liked. The cherry/apple/ash mixed in gave me good temps and some nice smoke that everyone really enjoyed.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Looks good.

How thick is that ice still?
Still about 18 inches for most of the lake.

A lot of the north shore (which gets south sun) has ice pulled away from shore. I’m on the south shore and with the big hill behind me, the sun is blocked for much of the day so there’s still snow along the shoreline.

We have plenty here, I've never seen them check trucks, let alone cars.
I run red/orange fuel in my saws too, they like that maxima k2 :p.
i use mid grade and Stihil prem oil. silver bottle. low ash. ran out and so used some pre-mix yesterday afternoon in weeder. good stuff, no eth! just a bit on pricey side. i mean whoever thot you could sell water!? lol... now they can get over $20.00 for a gallon of gasoline. pre-mix or straight up.... $5-6/32 oz.....

Still about 18 inches for most of the lake.

A lot of the north shore (which gets south sun) has ice pulled away from shore. I’m on the south shore and with the big hill behind me, the sun is blocked for much of the day so there’s still snow along the shoreline.
hi svk, do u skate on it? is the ice smooth on surface?

i use mid grade and Stihil prem oil. silver bottle. low ash. ran out and so used some pre-mix yesterday afternoon in weeder. good stuff, no eth! just a bit on pricey side. i mean whoever thot you could sell water!? lol... now they can get over $20.00 for a gallon of gasoline. pre-mix or straight up.... $5-6/32 oz.....

This is why I have no problem paying $4/gallon or so for 100LL for my small engines and 2-stroke mixes. I could not believe the price for the 40:1 or 50:1 premixes from lowes. I guess of you rarely run a saw they're fine, but this boy can't see paying that!!

I now mix with the Husqvarna synthetic stuff, but used Stihl orange "high performance" for many years. 100LL works awesome! My saws, weed eaters, log splitter, and generators always fire, no matter how long they've been sitting.

I have some K2 on Brett’s suggestion and also have some Klotz (whichever one you guys recommended for saws). No complaints BUT neither of them have very much dye and it’s a bit disconcerting to pour nearly clear fuel into a high dollar saw.

I’ll probably go back to the grey bottle Husky oil after I’m done with these cause it’s got plenty of blue dye.

The premix fuel is a rip off unless you use less than a tank full per year. Which certainly doesn’t apply to any of us on this section of the form. Maybe the PSP boys and the builder groupies can justify using that stuff.

Sorry I can't read all the posts, it's Tax Season and I'm struggling to keep pace.

Please let me know if I missed anything real important.

For 2.5 months I go 7 days a week, long days. It is the penalty for light duty the rest of the year!
Ya missed the offer from stihl to the first 100 members responding get a free new 660 . Mines on it's way

I used some Klotz that was left over from my Dad's RC Airplane hobby. Had a slight reddish tint IIRC. Smelled AMAZING when burnt. I read it was excellent oil for 2-strokes, as it was designed for high performance applications.

IIRC it was super expensive. I'll have to look it up again and grab a quart, although I have a gallon of the Husky grey+ stuff.

Back