Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics. How are the new saws running?

We only took one saw, I knew it’d be enough. Trees have been sparse, a concentration of trees is coming up though. Saw ran great, starts really easy, cuts well, doesn’t use as much fuel as the XL, at least that’s my initial thought. I took the chain from the other saw as a backup, didn’t need it. I didn’t buy extra chains because I didn’t plan on staying with this bar. I carried it in nestled above my backpack, between the pack and my back. It stayed there well, I didn’t need to hold it. I carried it out the same way, but inside a garbage bag, because it had been in the poison oak.

3 more weeks of 'do nothing' and then I can get back on the saws. Passed my 86th birthday a few days ago. I never expected to be able to swing saws at this age!!. I have 3 different places to cut on this year. Not much wood in them, just cleaning up the deadfall, etc in two of them and 3 standing dead to fall and pile for burning. I for sure don't need any more wood but I will get a bit. It is the work I am after to keep me in some sorta shape. Recovery from the spinal surgery going well, no problems so far, no pain anywhere and mobility is back. I do need to get out for some serious walking but the weather has been just one windy (cold) day after another. Gusts to 60 predicted for tomorrow and temps down in low 40s.

3 more weeks of 'do nothing' and then I can get back on the saws. Passed my 86th birthday a few days ago. I never expected to be able to swing saws at this age!!. I have 3 different places to cut on this year. Not much wood in them, just cleaning up the deadfall, etc in two of them and 3 standing dead to fall and pile for burning. I for sure don't need any more wood but I will get a bit. It is the work I am after to keep me in some sorta shape. Recovery from the spinal surgery going well, no problems so far, no pain anywhere and mobility is back. I do need to get out for some serious walking but the weather has been just one windy (cold) day after another. Gusts to 60 predicted for tomorrow and temps down in low 40s.
Glad to hear you're on the mend. Us younger guys look up to fellas such as yourself with awe and respect!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Fella said he’s going to use it for his chicken coop and wood stove....never thought of marketing noodles until someone on a Firewood page on FB mentioned it. No complaints here.....

You called it “Chainsaw Noodles”? Or?

Happy belated and glad to hear recovery is coming along.

Moderate exercise and a balanced diet are as close as we’ll get to the fountain of youth.

A neighbor complained that ‘all the steel barrels’ are ‘too thin’ now to make a good stove.

Are there certain kinds of barrels that are still good/ heavy gauge?

Thanks.

Philbert
Some barrels are made with heavier gauge but rust fate is still inevitable. As I was saying earlier in this post, put a 3/8 inch steel plate at the bottom of the barrel. It will be elevate from the bottom of a wood stove set up for obvious reasons, but elevate the plate if you're using it in a burn barrel

Well just had the day from hell. Wife called me at work, he the car just stopped running. I said "what!" She said it just up and died. Called my uncle told him what happened, he ran out with the roll back. Called me and said up timing belt. Great it's a honda crv interfearance engine oh joy. He dropped it off at the house. What ever can wait till I get home. Wife called again, said she made it home safe and sound, but the power was out. Again nothing I can do about it, and she wont hook up the generator. Only had about 2 hours left to work so no point in running home. Got home, called the power company they said a crew was out removing the tree from the line, power was expected to be restored by 7pm. Ok time for the generator. Got it out fired it up, hooked everything up, threw the main and transfer switch. Heard her go under load. Perfect. Voltage and Hertz were good, amp draw was good. Life is good. Went and hooked up the trailer and backed it up near the house. Have to charge the batteries for the winch as I have logs to pick up tomorrow. Herd the gen surge and unload. Wtf? Walked over and the lights were real dim and flickering. Checked voltage, down to 90 volts. Flipped the breaker off. Shut her down, pulled the top cover and saw the burned out capacitor. Oh joy. Started calling around no one in stock, save an electric supply shop about a half hour away, but they dont offer customer pick up at that location. The other location is 2 hours one way, said nope ups it. Should have a new set of caps Monday. Not that that does me a lick of good now. Hoping the power comes back on soon, not worried about the deep freeze, but likely be throwing quite a bit out of the fridge. What a day......
Don't let your food go to waste, there's a natural fridge outside the front door

Managed to get me a few new logs next door, just had to drop a few trees:chainsaw:.
First one in the cluster of three.
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.18.25 PM.png
Then this one.
Had to save out the evergreen. Yesterday he said it didn't matter, his wife said it did, I liked it myself(as long as it stays at his house lol). And avoid hitting his hop poles:oops:. There was a branch sticking out on that side of the tree and bit of a crook in the tree. Honestly, I'm surprised I got it in there without damaging either.
Kind of a long haul to the front yard, you can see our home there :).
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.17.53 PM.png
This one was leaning over his fruit trees, I used the skidding winch to hold the hinge. I should have taken a picture of the crack down this one, it was pretty long(7-8'?) between the two stems.
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.19.24 PM.png
Got these seven 8' logs out from the one stem, still got the other two laying there for pickup later.
Kidos liked the stump.
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.35.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.39.58 PM.png

Cowboy some pics just for you…….. My wood source.

On the topic of what wood you’d burn if you get the choice. I’d go Ironbark which is way harder and denser than oak, up from that Gray box and at the top of the list ultra-dense Gidgee or Mulga. This is a pic of Mulga from my recent trip to the outback.

And finally look what arrived in the mail just after Xmas. Still not run it yet though as I don’t do wood cutting here in summer!
View attachment 897013

G'day Jeff, do you reckon that'll be enough saw? Bet it's going to be loud. Randy did my 241 and did a great job. I love that saw, only problem was it took him three times as long as he said to get it done, I was starting to wonder if I had done my dough but it turned up eventually.

I got some ironbark once and it was fantastic. Really long burn and very little ash. The various box species also have great burn times but are more ashy. The super-dense ones I haven't burned at all. Your gidgee is nearly twice as dense as red oak or our local candlebark but can you have too much of a good thing? Probly have to keep the draft open full all night or mix other wood in there to get it to burn at all.

No idea what people use noodles for but a guy just grabbed a bag from me for $10 off marketplace.
View attachment 897477

Fella said he’s going to use it for his chicken coop and wood stove....never thought of marketing noodles until someone on a Firewood page on FB mentioned it. No complaints here.....

You could have found out here! This was January.

View attachment 897560

View attachment 897561

View attachment 897562

The squids made their first sale today. The plan is to sell a bundle of kindling and a medium garbage bag of noodles for $5. The bundle is what fits in a cut-in-half beer carton then tied with string. We'll do a youtube video after Easter for the early shoulder season when people are lighting up a lot. People don't know about noodles here, so I figured putting them in with the kindling might work better than trying to sell them independently. Then if they turn out to be popular we'll reassess for next year. I also made my first sale today, a trailer load (1.1 cubes) of peppermint and one of blue gum (a little under 2/3 cord all up) for A$200 or US$150. I took a bundle of kindling and the noodles around for her as a freebie to try out but she insisted on paying, so the Cowkids are on the board. :envy:

Latest posts

Back