Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@rarefish383 Would know a lot about the top performing homelites. Some of the big ones will hold their own with any saw that size.

The 80’s to 90’s Huskies especially 242 and 262 would hold their own with just about anything as well.
I lean Huskie, primarily because I don’t want to pay $$$$ for Stihl. I just got rid of the one 262xp I had here in the classifieds for asking price, but have a 288 project saw and parts coming in. I’m sure I can flip the two high tops and full wrap that came with it to pay for both of my 288’s...

Again, just curious about the best time you could walk into a dealer and get a high performance saw much like you’d walk into a Chevy/Ford/Mopar dealer and get an LS-6/429/Hemi.

I learn so much from this great group of guys.

I lean Huskie, primarily because I don’t want to pay $$$$ for Stihl. I just got rid of the one 262xp I had here in the classifieds for asking price, but have a 288 project saw and parts coming in. I’m sure I can flip the two high tops and full wrap that came with it to pay for both of my 288’s...

Again, just curious about the best time you could walk into a dealer and get a high performance saw much like you’d walk into a Chevy/Ford/Mopar dealer and get an LS-6/429/Hemi.

I learn so much from this great group of guys.
I'm guessing late 60's thru early 80's Ryan. Some beasts of saws made back then by a lot of mfg's. Not sure if they could be considered high performance like the cars back then. Like Sean said today's saws are about as high performance as they have ever been. My old Poulan 5200 max rpm is 7500 compared to 13,500 for my 462.

I would get a bigger trailer but I built that one 25 years ago in high school, I still love it and it should last me a life time.
Checked my air filters today, the Dolmar HD looked good no fines got though, the 661 did let some fines in so I have a question for you Cowboy have you seen fines get though your filter?
They've got a filter now?

No, I haven't noticed anything getting through, but that said, I haven't looked closely.

The Muscle car era was at it's peak (for decades to come) from the mid 60s to the very early 70s. It took about 3 - 4 decades for cars to start exceeding the performance of those cars.

IMO, the performance era for chainsaws (power to weight) was in the early 90s, corresponding with the 10 mm 044 and other "red lever" Stihl saws, and Husky's 272/372 saws.

But, as FS stated, now the new stuff is the very best there has been, but it took several decades.

I don't think the power to weight of the 10 mm 044 was surpassed until the 462 was released. But the 10 mm saws at the end of the run were stronger than when they were first introduced.

The new saws also have more creature features, like spring AV, clean filter tech, and computer controls ... just like the new cars with AC and navigation, computers, multi valves and VCT! AC was rare in cars in the 60s, and trouble prone, and mid 60s still had hand crank windows and if you had seat belts, they were just lap belts, which were kind of useless!

The good old Chrome has also all but disappeared! Steeda no longer sells the 18" Chrome wheels for my car, the only option is 20" black, which requires 35 profile tires (great for cornering, but horrible for straight line traction).

I recently put new tires on the Mustang, replacing the 40 series rear tires with 45 series. The difference in straight line traction is immense! (New tires are Nitto 555 G-2s; 275 X 40 X 18 front and 295 X 45 X 18 rear. The seller cautioned me that the rear tires may not fit ... but they do and they make a tremendous difference. The are also great in the rain, and have a higher treadwear rating of 320. Technology can be VG!

I've also put thousands of rounds through it shooting trap. Needless to say it has a special place in my heart.
I also shot thousands of rounds thru my old 870, but skeet not trap. I got mine for $180 and then sold the slug barrel for about what the 26" raised rib skeet cost. It was my first shotgun at 13, bought my first reloader shortly after. My dad got that gun off me when I moved to S Florida, he's killed many deer with it and won't sell it back to me lol.
I'm looking for an 1100 receiver as I have a bunch of barrels here, choke tubes, and a nice set of wood. Anyone have one :).
I really need a couple shotguns so I've heard :guitar:.

I’m sure I can flip the two high tops and full wrap that came with it to pay for both of my 288’s...
I have a friend who would be interested, let me know what you need for them.
Of course you said something now, I just sent him a package/saw, he's not in the US:lol:.

I have a friend who would be interested, let me know what you need for them.
Of course you said something now, I just sent him a package/saw, he's not in the US:lol:.
This came from BC Canada. I just want to verify I can still order low tops from the dealer. My local Husqvarna dealer only carries Redmax now, he was told he needs to carry $40k of inventory on the floor to continue to carry the brand. The dealer declined as he does more in sales on mowers and other Outdoor power equipment to waste space with Husqvarna.

Only other Husqvarna dealer is a good 30–40mins away......

Oh man! To be 18 y/o in 1970.....The cars and music scene!?!?!?
It was an interesting time for sure ... I often think the 60s were the best decade, but the division also started back then.

You had greasers and hot rods (and lot's of fights) on one side, and hippies and lots of drugs on the other side, protests against the war and race riots. The music was great, but the Beatles also ushered in the drug culture.

I picked up my 427 Ford Motor short block when I was up at RIT (Rochester) for $300, is was a Holman and Moody seasoned block and the crank was trued (cut 10 + 20). Later had to make a tough decision finding a home for it ... a friend wanted to see me his 56 T-Bird with removable porthole roof for $900, but it was an auto, so I bought the 70 Boss 302 body (engine bearings had spun for the 2nd time) for $800.

427 Fords were racing motors, they had cross bolted mains and side oiler blocks, all the oil went to the bearings (you could not run a hydraulic cam). It is the motor Ford put in the GT-40s that won LeMans from 1966 - 1969.

I stuffed the 427 in the Boss body, along with hooker headers, solid lifter cam, 850 double pumper Holley, Hurst T handle shifter BF Goodrich Radial TAs (the first wide oval radials) and some bolt on slapper traction bars and I had one mean street machine. Unlike most other hot rods out there, mine also handled!

The aluminum intake removed a LOT of weight, FE Ford motors had huge intakes (the push rods passed through the intake instead of the head).

We had lots of brawls with members of the HUNS Motorcyle gang, as they had killed someone from our HS (and they tortured him). One time 3 HUNS came up to our hang out on their hogs and confronted me and my friend Goon (6'4", 240lbs and cut). Goon told them we were going to kick their A$$, and one of them said (inferring to the guy they killed) that we may be messing with the "wrong people".

I looked back at the guy and told him that if I rode a 2 wheeler with my colors on my back, I wouldn't talk that way to anyone who drove a car". They all knew my 427 Mustang would eat them alive, so they just looked back and forth at each other a few times, got on their bikes, and left.

It was an interesting time for sure ... I often think the 60s were the best decade, but the division also started back then.

You had greasers and hot rods (and lot's of fights) on one side, and hippies and lots of drugs on the other side, protests against the war and race riots. The music was great, but the Beatles also ushered in the drug culture.

I picked up my 427 Ford Motor short block when I was up at RIT (Rochester) for $300, is was a Holman and Moody seasoned block and the crank was trued (cut 10 + 20). Later had to make a tough decision finding a home for it ... a friend wanted to see me his 56 T-Bird with removable porthole roof for $900, but it was an auto, so I bought the 70 Boss 302 body (engine bearings had spun for the 2nd time) for $800.

427 Fords were racing motors, they had cross bolted mains and side oiler blocks, all the oil went to the bearings (you could not run a hydraulic cam). It is the motor Ford put in the GT-40s that won LeMans from 1966 - 1969.

I stuffed the 427 in the Boss body, along with hooker headers, solid lifter cam, 850 double pumper Holley, Hurst T handle shifter BF Goodrich Radial TAs (the first wide oval radials) and some bolt on slapper traction bars and I had one mean street machine. Unlike most other hot rods out there, mine also handled!

The aluminum intake removed a LOT of weight, FE Ford motors had huge intakes (the push rods passed through the intake instead of the head).

We had lots of brawls with members of the HUNS Motorcyle gang, as they had killed someone from our HS (and they tortured him). One time 3 HUNS came up to our hang out on their hogs and confronted me and my friend Goon (6'4", 240lbs and cut). Goon told them we were going to kick their A$$, and one of them said (inferring to the guy they killed) that we may be messing with the "wrong people".

I looked back at the guy and told him that if I rode a 2 wheeler with my colors on my back, I wouldn't talk that way to anyone who drove a car". They all knew my 427 Mustang would eat them alive, so they just looked back and forth at each other a few times, got on their bikes, and left.
Cool stuff Mike! You’ve lived through times I’ve only seen in history texts/movies and car mags.

I know you’re a Ford guy but did you ever see anything from Motion Performance on Long Island?

I was born with in 1985, far past all the good stuff with cars/music. We had a good street race scene in South Philly by the stadiums and would spend Friday/Saturdays to see the big boys run in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. After that, plenty of time spent at Englishtown/Atco/Maple Grove/Cecil County.

Love hearing stories from the guys who lived through all of it.

Mike, you had the best of times. You were also old enough to be able to buy all the muscle cars slightly use as they came out from their original owners in the 70s. Cannot imagine what it must’ve been like. Even when I was growing up in the 90s most of the good stuff was long gone or rusted away.

Also those who grew up in the 80s or o earlier didn’t have the issues with police like they do now. A lot of times they would give a guy a warning and send them home versus throw in them into the courts.

Man if my old man and uncle had half the cars they wrecked as kids, we'd be millionaires. All the old junk camaro, nomad, Chevelle, mustang, stories that ended with, blown engine, wrapped around (fill in the blank), just about enough to make you cry hearing about all the old Iron they trashed.

Back to guns, I’m trying to keep my pistol to a few chambering’s house for a while I had darn near every caliber. Right now I have two 380s, a few nine ‘s, and a few 45s as well as a .44 and my .357-which is my go to
Currently doing the same thing, but just 380 and 9mm. Just recently acquired a few revolvers but 22 and 32 short arnt really wonderful for defense, if you know what I mean. Have a wish list I'd like to get filled sooner then later, but something always seems to come up that absorbs the extra funds. Happy with what I've got for now.

This came from BC Canada. I just want to verify I can still order low tops from the dealer. My local Husqvarna dealer only carries Redmax now, he was told he needs to carry $40k of inventory on the floor to continue to carry the brand. The dealer declined as he does more in sales on mowers and other Outdoor power equipment to waste space with Husqvarna.

Only other Husqvarna dealer is a good 30–40mins away......
I can't verify that.
I know I have low tops for the 372/365s though :p

Back