Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the bigger ones that I’ve caught.
View attachment 919454
That's a dandy! How big? My personal best is a 21". Your surroundings definitely beat mine in Door County. There's so much boat/jet ski traffic it hardly pays to fish on the weekends.

Love the smallies. My favorite lures for them are either an H&H original spinnerbait, or a number 3 jig spinner with a 1/4 to /3/8 oz jighead and a Mr Twister curly tail or a Sassy Shad. H&H won't ship to Canada but one of my Mississippi buddies sends them to me. Really hazy here from all the forest fire smoke.
884ceae13dbffe885c520e492f09a7a2.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Did you bring the wood home :innocent: .

There are about 4 lakes up on the border that are loaded with big bass, including the lake that we go to each summer. I am certain that each of those lakes hold fish that would be a new state record. In 4-5 days of fishing for walleyes I usually expect to catch at least one bass over 20" from the walleye reefs. I have found the larger bass like to hang out on walleye reefs and the smaller guys like to guard the shorelines. That earlier picture I put up were all off the same reef.

The Minnesota SMB record is 8 lb, 0 ounces which I believe is an easy one to beat if a guy tried. In the early 80's my mom caught one well over 6 lbs....they had it on a stringer in deeper water and dad was debating mounting it but the next morning their camping partner filleted it LOL. We have some good pics of it though.

Hey guys how’s it been going? Storm came through other day and broke a decent size hickory, it’s still attached about 10’ from the ground still full of leaves and nuts. Gonna get that this winter for a couple years down the road. Also another tree broke and fell, no leaves at all looks to be dead for awhile, but I’m not sure what it is. Very dry inside, splits like butter no knots or twist. Maybe Ash but I’ve never cut or burned any.
d99c4d49cb27b2d890e8860301d0a2a9.jpg
1d9ae31e1459f2210ef4edc7fe5faaaa.jpg

868c075617d6e1cbd9edf817e79edc7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Minnesota SMB record is 8 lb, 0 ounces which I believe is an easy one to beat if a guy tried. In the early 80's my mom caught one well over 6 lbs....they had it on a stringer in deeper water and dad was debating mounting it but the next morning their camping partner filleted it LOL. We have some good pics of it though.

How much did the pictures weigh?

Hey guys how’s it been going? Storm came through other day and broke a decent size hickory, it’s still attached about 10’ from the ground still full of leaves and nuts. Gonna get that this winter for a couple years down the road. Also another tree broke and fell, no leaves at all looks to be dead for awhile, but I’m not sure what it is. Very dry inside, splits like butter no knots or twist. Maybe Ash but I’ve never cut or burned any.
d99c4d49cb27b2d890e8860301d0a2a9.jpg
1d9ae31e1459f2210ef4edc7fe5faaaa.jpg

868c075617d6e1cbd9edf817e79edc7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ash for sure. Try and get it asap as it doesn't last to good on the ground.

Boss had a little bigger load of wood View attachment 919031

This happened on our highway to the mountains a couple weeks ago. They said it was his first day on the job, and he lost the brakes.

D0B180C8-31CA-45FC-A42A-7828E44C75C3.jpeg
60E60A7E-6A40-4382-9480-38B218BF8208.jpeg
6029EA60-406F-4AC2-B9B8-4DA7B6725E22.jpeg
0E2A69BF-94BD-4C84-9C40-98D485425776.jpeg
250CB61E-020F-4B6F-8E8C-125AB55AAFB5.jpeg

I went by a couple days later, the truck was gone and the guard rails replaced, but the logs were still stacked on the side.

Having driven for 20yrs, I hate to see this stuff.
Trucker story lol.
An owner operator I worked for had his lead guy fire me(told me Dan said he had to "let me go"), I asked why and he said I was costing him too much money. What that meant was he found someone willing to work for less, because I never damaged equipment and hauled whatever I was told. So about 6 weeks later my buddy who still worked there calls me, says the guy who he just finished training was going out on his first solo run in my old truck. He was new to driving truck and started out pulling an eight axle trailer, his first load was only 65k(the truck could take 105k). He leaves the warehouse and puts his axles down, made it to the first turn and jackknifed the truck, totalling it. He had too much air in the lift axles for the weight of the load and it didn't allow the truck to steer the trailer, but rather the trailer made the truck go in a straight line.
Bottom line he should not have been driving that setup being a new driver, even after training for 6 weeks, there's quite a bit going on to make a setup like that safe on the road. I imagine hauling that style log trailer has its challenges with the load has such a high center of gravity, combine that with a steep grade and the driver not understanding(or not believing) you need to use a gear one lower than when you climbed it so the truck doesn't run away is a disaster waiting to happen. Sometimes you think your going to save a buck by using someone that cost you less, but many times you get what you pay for.
Be careful out there guys.

Latest posts

Back