Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was tree debris day Thursday past here in COH. many piles of trash branches, etc... now all gone. but one pile caught my attention. oak! only a few houses down the street! a limb had cracked and hit a house's new addition. :nofunny: the crew cut it up and cleaned the good stuff... and put out on curb. saw it, but been hot here! thot i mite pass. ez scrounge. but in the end, no! decided too good to pass up on so went down and hand picked the pile early one evening. cooler. got about 1/3 cord, i guess. maybe more, maybe less.... but all fire place sized. just cut and stack. no splitting needed. good enuff for my needs!!
P1010027.JPG
P1010026.JPGP1010028.JPGP1010029.JPG
P1010030.JPG
got it on a Wednesday... had been there week or so... what was left, all gone next day... gald i dint snooze n looze! load and go! no saw required!!~ ;)

little doubt in my mind that everyone, almost anyone who reads threads such as this one... knows quite well how heavy a limb can be. couple houses down the neighbor came home from work to this what greeted him! wow... and it had hit the house. debris on roof, but roof was a blow off. no damage. they self scrounged it into firewood... methodicially taking it apart branch by branch... to junk pile. hauled that off, dint put on street. two of them took about 4-5 hrs to complete, blow off roof and clean up...
P1010014.JPG
couple batt saws for the branches, a healthy stihl for the main stay... best part of a cord, i'd say...

scrounged up this cool SS JennAire cook center other day. saw it about bit past midnite on a walk with one of my pups. looked ok in the dark. had a sign taped to it "Gratis!" figured it would be gone in no time. one neighbor put out a working refer on curb 2 days ago... gone next morning! but no, the cook center was still there. didn't really need it, but then... who can have too many saws?? lol.... :chainsaw: :cool: so being more so rested up, than tried... ez solution to get it home. just wheel it on down. but Da*n! it was as heavy as a battleship! :crazy: got about 100' and that was it. This Marine was humpin' no more!! lol. saw a yard guy working so asked if he would help me put it into his trailer and take to my place. best $10 i have spent in a long time... bit of a rat's nest... but plenty of real nice 304 SS! in need of some TLC... that is tender :heart: cleaning! been sitting, rode hard and put up wet. crud all over it. in it. but over all, imo... slick package!! priced right, too! just need fire... lol. no doubt not a $200 griller when new. i had my doubts as couple burner knobs stuck shut hard (one too plenty of PB B and hammer work!) and could not get any gas to the burners once those probs resolved. and side burner looked even worse... but i persevered... did some propane bottle review and research... learned a thing or two i dint know... now for some more cleaning, etc. i could have cooked on it the other evening... :cool:
1630336093125.pngP1010011.JPGP1010018.JPG
P1010021.JPGP1010025.JPGP1010021.JPG

took some elbow grease...
P1010007.JPG

now all burners light on the click ignition... the rotisserie works, havn't tested it on ignition, needs new batt... and to my surprise, even the side burner works great, too! no ignition (yet), but who's complaining... lol

What are you doing with a wildfire in Minnie Soda? I thought that was a west coast thing, is that the only one? I hope they get it under control.
It’s very rare to have a large fire up here. There were a few bad ones in the BWCA due to the disallowance of logging but this is the first major fire outside of the BWCA in my lifetime (I’ll be 42 next week).

Hopefully they are getting ahead of it now. It went from 0 to 26,000 acres in ten days but has slowed up with the rain and cooler temps over the past few days.

There will be a lot of scrounging opportunities in Louisiana and Mississippi soon, for anyone interested :( .

Philbert
no doubt - they showed some downed trees blowing thru the streets on Bourbon Street in Frence Qtr yesterday on the weather channel

Sorry didn't get any pictures, but got load 2 from a guy I work with. Even let me borrow his trailer so I could haul more lol. Some of it is kinda junky but it's a take the good and bad kinda thing. There's one more oak to drop. May have to climb it and take it down in pieces.

Aftermarket chain according to description, with four people satisfied with the transaction. No mention if they liked the chain or not.
Yep, right in the description; "for stihl", and "this is an aftermarket replacement part".
That being said, it isn't right when sellers show a stihl box like that, very deceptive and eBay would most likely side with the buyer.
Maybe I should buy one to find out, I'll let you guys vote on it :popcorn2:.
Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 10.36.17 PM.png

What a waste of good pine. Damn shame.
It is a shame, but when there is higher BTU wood at every turn it's just bonfire wood to most.
Heck we got all sorts of hardwood here, even petrified wood:laughing:.
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 11.34.16 AM.png
Then we got the infamous red oak, just bring your wheelbarrow :popcorn2:.
Most those pieces are probably 2-500 lbs :muscle:.

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 1.41.22 PM.png

Come to Michigan, unmeasurable quantities of that kinda' **** gets pushed into burn piles and shoved into the chipper on a daily basis. Most outfits would tell you to take whatever you want.
I hate watching them chip the nice straight 8-16" stuff :cry::sucks:.

Scrounging has been non existent due to nine and a half weeks of lockdown which is ……. Long list of expletives….. rather annoying me. My state forest permit is about to expire and I only got 1 trailer load. Looks like we are at best only half way through the lockdown.
I still need another 3 trailer loads to make up my 2 cord annual requirements.

Yep, right in the description; "for stihl", and "this is an aftermarket replacement part".
That being said, it isn't right when sellers show a stihl box like that, very deceptive and eBay would most likely side with the buyer.
Maybe I should buy one to find out, I'll let you guys vote on it :popcorn2:.
View attachment 927255
Yeh, partly my fault. I saw the picture and price and stopped ready there. I just ASSUMEd it was Stihl.

I hate watching them chip the nice straight 8-16" stuff :cry::sucks:.
The two arborists I contacted both do the same, chip up the nice branches. Which is what I like. Easier to handle and split the 'small' stuff. It wouldn't bother me if I never saw another 24" log, as long as have a supply of the small stuff.

I hear they have been very tough (unreasonable???) on you folks down under, and it is not much better in many places here in the States!

However, there seems to be a lot of "non compliance" both from individuals and businesses. Sign on the door of Walmart says to mask, but inside only about 1/2 are actually wearing them.

Well the big fire here is up to 37 percent contained so that’s going in the right direction.

I’m trying to sell my old Yukon (for $4000) and have had a couple of yahoos respond. Guy messages me “nice truck 3500” so I ask him if he’s offering 3500. He responds no, 3000. Sorry pal. I put on the bottom of my ad “I will not negotiate via email…show up with cash and we’ll make a deal. Lowball offers and people asking my bottom dollar will be ignored”

I just hate people who start that crap. They haven’t even looked at the vehicle.

Back