Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
The manual only recommends one extension,,,, Pfffft .
One of the reasons I considered buying the echo is because I was under the impression you could add extensions to them. I got a great deal on the stihl used, that was a no brainer for my first gas powered pole saw; figured I'd just go from there, I'm still there lol.
I know one thing, after having one I certainly don't want to be without one, so many places I use it.

Cody

ArboristSite Guru
Road with my son today to deliver some packages to care takers at a outfitters place before they are snowed in for the winter. Been driving by it for the last month for work but never stopped, pretty cool place, would definitely be nice to hang out there for awhile, no cell service or electricity, large open lodge with lots of nice wood work, big windows, 2 wood stoves, very nice and quiet. Stopped on the way back to scrounge some lodge pole for my sons shop stoveView attachment 938892Tamarack trees are showing some nice colorView attachment 938893

We planted some Tamaracks along with our spruce trees, hoping for some good color. Plan on putting in some quaking aspens and a few birch trees maybe as well. if we can't move out west we'll bring it here! I should probably make a scrounging related post some day.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
We planted some Tamaracks along with our spruce trees, hoping for some good color. Plan on putting in some quaking aspens and a few birch trees maybe as well. if we can't move out west we'll bring it here! I should probably make a scrounging related post some day.
Where you at.
I planted a bunch of Norway Spruce here, no tamarack yet though.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
This bench will go up to the cabin, near our outdoor fire place. We will sit on it in both directions.

It is Red Oak, 3" thick, 7.5' long, finished with Teak Oil.
Mike, keep us posted on how the finish holds up? Nothing I've tried holds up long outside. Here's my fire pit bench, much the same as yours. I hung the mill on a ladder to cut the notches in the rounds. The bench came out almost perfectly square to the notches, I just hit them with a flap disc. This one is about ten years old and is holding up well. I put the rounds on square concrete pavers to keep it out of the dirt. They have a little rot starting at the base, but will take a long time to become un serviceable. You could get a dumpster in a bag for $29 at Lowes. I use them to cover everything I leave outside. The two people sitting on the ends even get a beer can holder.
jSyaYEA.jpg

vzn203c.jpg

Brufab
One of the reasons I considered buying the echo is because I was under the impression you could add extensions to them. I got a great deal on the stihl used, that was a no brainer for my first gas powered pole saw; figured I'd just go from there, I'm still there lol.
I know one thing, after having one I certainly don't want to be without one, so many places I use it.
I have a Corona manual pole pruner and a stihl gas one even though I'm an echo guy. The stihl works great just hard on the old shoulders. Wish it could reach another 3-5' being a lil guy at 5'4".

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Deerhunters eve. I need to do some trimming around the new Deerstand and wrap it with camo wrap and then I’m done out in the woods. Then a lot of organizing around the cabin and then go home and grab more stuff and feed the cats and get the kids.
Good luck tommorrow Steve. Out turkey hunting this morning. Only seeing deer. :dumb2: Jumped a doe and 8 pt buck. The buck is standing just behind the doe about 30 yards in the woods. 20211105_083611.jpg

MustangMike
The best colors around here come from Sugar Maple ... yellow, orange, red and green can all be on the same tree at the same time!

Unfortunately, some years are much better than others, and there seem to be fewer and fewer Sugar Maples!

I also remember back in Kindergarten we would stick the seeds on our noses! That two room wooden structure is now designated as an historic site, and my Dad always just called it a fire trap!

MustangMike
About the only stuff that seems to last does not do justice to the wood grain ... I like the semi transparent stain from HD (Chocolate).

The good thing about the teak oil (seems to be holding up well so far on my wheelbarrow handles) is you can re apply it w/o sanding, so it should make it a lot easier.

It also claims to penetrate the wood, then harden, which I found appealing! We will see. This is the first year I'm using it.

husqvarna257

husqvarna257

ArboristSite Operative
Finally gave in and started the wood boiler for the season. Cleaned it out good and changed out 3 fire bricks. I would have started it sooner but I had the wood shed blocked with wood the had to be split. Wood stove was just fine at nights, I tend to run it at the beginning and end of heating season as well as Holidays just for looks.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
One of the reasons I considered buying the echo is because I was under the impression you could add extensions to them.
In other threads, some people have shared an opinion that they think the larger diameter ECHO shaft may be sturdier, and less prone to damage.

Philbert

Lee192233

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

Latest posts