Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, how much shooting are you guys doing? Box of deer rifle cartridges would last me a couple years. Plink a few before opening day to make sure it goes where yer lookin and 1-5 bullets for the deer. (I keep shooting if they're running away from the truck!) Lmao!

Had to turn down free wood again. A tree guy called me "bring your trailer and I'll load you up". I hate to turn it down but I have oodles and my yard is wet. I know, I'm going to get my scrounging card revoked!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Not a lot but enough with multiple kids shooting this is putting a major crimp on what we do. Plus I acquired a 30-30 and soon will acquire another one and had to pay through the nose to get ammo.

I’m looking to get a .223 bolt action so we can practice with a gun similar to what we hunt deer with but at a fraction of the cost.

....Had to turn down free wood again. A tree guy called me "bring your trailer and I'll load you up". I hate to turn it down but I have oodles and my yard is wet. I know, I'm going to get my scrounging card revoked!...
Yard wet? But, but ... what about your driveway? :laugh: I use one side of my rock driveway for firewood processing and storage when its too wet to get it down the hill.

Not a lot but enough with multiple kids shooting this is putting a major crimp on what we do. Plus I acquired a 30-30 and soon will acquire another one and had to pay through the nose to get ammo.

I’m looking to get a .223 bolt action so we can practice with a gun similar to what we hunt deer with but at a fraction of the cost.
Good idea! Familiarity with firearms is important. What's everyone's ammo prices? Just about everything center fire is 1$ a round or more here in michigan.

thats me in a nutshell. save them money, get free wood to cut up...
Yep, me too, have two different guys that I've got in with and they call when working nearby and they want me to take the wood
Another good idea is too check the website on your local tree companies and shoot them an email hey you never know
Yep, although my experience is talking too guys actually working on a tree is much more successful.
Had to turn down free wood again. A tree guy called me "bring your trailer and I'll load you up". I hate to turn it down but I have oodles and my yard is wet. I know, I'm going to get my scrounging card revoked!
Me too last week kinda. I was out front grabbing some wood from my pile when a guy, turns out it was a tree guy, walked over and asked if i wanted logs. I've best o part of 8 cords CSS and absolutely no more space but not wanting to blow off a possible new contract I mumbled non committally. Turns out he didn't have the logs anyway, he had taken a dead oak down across the street and left the logs. I'd be fairly sure if the householder didn't ask him to take the logs then they want them for themselves or friends, so why he was telling me I have no clue, but it was relieved!

A pic of some spruce scrounge to keep the thread purists happy. Also I noticed this will be post 665 for me, so now I'll have to start a new account to avoid the devil's number😬

View attachment 940583
@dancan won't be worth a sh!t today after he sees that spruce. :laughing: That looks like super easy splitting.

Yard wet? But, but ... what about your driveway? [emoji23] I use one side of my rock driveway for firewood processing and storage when its too wet to get it down the hill.
I have done that before when opportunity arose but I have this winters plus probably 2 more years firewood. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
Yard is wet wet. Not only have we had a lot of rain but I'm having septic bed problems. Looks like I'm going to have to dig it all up. I'm sure that will put a dent in the budget!

I have done that before when opportunity arose but I have this winters plus probably 2 more years firewood. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
Yard is wet wet. Not only have we had a lot of rain but I'm having septic bed problems. Looks like I'm going to have to dig it all up. I'm sure that will put a dent in the budget!

Yeh, I know what you mean. I've got several years of firewood already, so I'm forcing myself to cut way back. Only if Cherry, W. Oak or Bk Locust comes my way. I've got a large pile that needs to be stacked, but luckily it's down the hill already. This years supply is already up the hill in its spots so I won't have to drive on the yard any more. Just in time for the rains.
I did pass on a large wind blown R. Oak I saw on a local farmers field. Hard to resist. Is this a disease? :laugh: Do I need to go to scroungers anonymous?

Morning guys.

We are anticipating the first storm of the year. Up to ten inches in some places. There’s already snow in town but nothing at my place, just several hours of rain

Did the flight of the bumblebee yesterday evening to get final stuff put away. Except for putting away two smaller/medium sized boats I’m ready for winter. Dressed the garage apron to make sure the plow wouldn’t hit the edges and filled 7/8 cord of racks last night before the rain started. It’s nice to be ready this year. Last year we got freezing rain and snow several weeks earlier in the year and all of my **** was wet.

F3DE4B05-1CBF-40E5-8FF6-125E1689ADB3.jpeg70957CAB-B79E-46B0-9EE7-1371AB5471C8.jpeg

Also deboned the last of the ducks that we scrounged. Going to make jerky with the big batch and stroganoff with the smaller one.
E1FFC53F-F46A-4B18-9882-C3DA02587D7F.jpeg

Taking a real pretty gal out for lunch today. Wish me luck!

I was at the gun shop yesterday and the second in command guy there mentioned that the ammo shortage is due to component scarcity. Federal cartridge had put out a video a while back saying they were making all ammo at record levels which is BS as they have laid off many of their workers with less seniority. And a lot of the ammo that is being produced currently is going to the big box retailers who are putting it out at retail only to be gobbled up by people who are turning around to scalp it online. He said he expects the shortage to get worse before it gets better.

Local Rural King has had more ammo lately than they have in the past two years. Prices are coming down also. Picked up 1000 rounds of Augila 40gr Copper platted .22LR for $.067/round before tax. Cheapest I've seen in a while for good .22LR. Picked up a K for pops also.

About a month ago they had .38spl at $.40/round before tax. I bought all they for pops and I to run in the Henry's. It was just a plunking load, 158gr lead projectile IIRC. Federal brand. 9mm, .45ACP, and .223 are still high IMHO.

I talked to the kid behind the counter, and he said they even got in some .450Bushmaster, and it was only $29/box. That's almost down to pre-rona/election levels where it was $27/box. Online a month or so ago, it was $40/box. I snagged some at Fin Feather Fur for like $35 or $37 a couple months back.

Not saying I don't agree with your local GS owner, just sharing what I'm seeing locally.

Morning guys.

We are anticipating the first storm of the year. Up to ten inches in some places. There’s already snow in town but nothing at my place, just several hours of rain

Did the flight of the bumblebee yesterday evening to get final stuff put away. Except for putting away two smaller/medium sized boats I’m ready for winter. Dressed the garage apron to make sure the plow wouldn’t hit the edges and filled 7/8 cord of racks last night before the rain started. It’s nice to be ready this year. Last year we got freezing rain and snow several weeks earlier in the year and all of my **** was wet.

View attachment 940678View attachment 940679

Also deboned the last of the ducks that we scrounged. Going to make jerky with the big batch and stroganoff with the smaller one.
View attachment 940680

Taking a real pretty gal out for lunch today. Wish me luck!
Good luck!

Back