Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, old Ames ax rack.
5tPkQbv.jpg
That’s great!!

Thanks guys its more of a novelty than anything else and it's not like anyone is making those anymore these days that I am aware of. Everything is husky/stihl mount basically 36" or bigger. Trouble is cutting firewood from trees that are over 24" is no easy task.
Yep a wise fella looks for 20” and under for firewood. I have to be desperate to take anything bigger.

Depends on the firewood, but my 28" and 24" bars also see occasional action, and I first purchased a 36" B+C when I had to drop a 40" Red Oak that was not too far from a house. Now I use my 36" bars (2) mostly for milling or stumping.

The 24" bar is nice, even if not needed for the bucking, as it will stay sharp longer (it has more teeth), and is still pretty nimble. I like the NLA E bars, as they are a lot lighter than the ES bars.

Thanks guys its more of a novelty than anything else and it's not like anyone is making those anymore these days that I am aware of. Everything is husky/stihl mount basically 36" or bigger. Trouble is cutting firewood from trees that are over 24" is no easy task.
most of my scrounges are in the 24-36" region. thats why I get them for free. In central Japan (tokyo/yokohma/kawasaki area) the local arborists have to pay to dispose of wood as the wood is too soft (center) for the mills to want to buy and nobody burns wood. so when I see a truck hauling hardwood cut in strange sizes I follow them to there work yard and strike a deal to take their big stuff for free. everybody wins, I get lots of free hardwood for firewood, and they save money on disposal costs. up north where my cabin is its the exact opposite, the wood is denser, so the mills will buy it and you end up with little trees10-14 inches for firewood.
edit: the firewood sized small stuff costs a lot as folks want it for firewood, easeir to split etc.

That’s great!!
Don’t have a decent ax right now. Had a nice head but had one of my foster kids help me put a handle in it and wound up giving it to him when he moved on.
Its all good tho. I seized the opportunity to show him how some things( or people) can be cast aside like trash but with some cleaning up and sharpening up both can be really awesome. He had a horrible sense of feeling worthless since his parents cast him aside. Guess I should add I got the axe head out of the trash.

If I had a decent ax it would be heading your way Bob. Give a man an ax he splits for a day teach a man how to use an ax he heats his house for a lifetime.
I probably have another head out there just haven’t looked yet. I seldom pass one!!

Don’t have a decent ax right now. Had a nice head but had one of my foster kids help me put a handle in it and wound up giving it to him when he moved on.
Its all good tho. I seized the opportunity to show him how some things( or people) can be cast aside like trash but with some cleaning up and sharpening up both can be really awesome. He had a horrible sense of feeling worthless since his parents cast him aside. Guess I should add I got the axe head out of the trash.
I don't understand some folks is all I can say.
I work with the local orphanages here with my Lodge, and the kids are great, they have been taken form their parents due to parents having issues, (jail, prison, drugs, gambling addiction, or just not taking care of them). Japanese law prevents them from being adopted out as they have parents, (just ****** ones) but the kids know that they had/have parents and they just don't love/care for them enough to unscrew their personal lives.

Makes me want to throat punch some folks I tell ya.

Yep a wise fella looks for 20” and under for firewood. I have to be desperate to take anything bigger.

You get more wood home faster with big rounds, then there’s more work at home. It’s a trade off that could be necessary depending on how much time you have.

How long have you been in Japan?
Off and on for the last 36 years Oki, then Lejeune, got deployed a few times then posted at camp fuji for a tour, last was back to Oki got out and moved on in life now i am just a wore out old fart with two preteens giving me sass.

must be burned down to coals before you start cooking on it.

We do this with any wood we cook with, it confuses some people who have camped with us. They think cooking means a small fire, we build a big fire. They then say “I thought you were cooking”. Yeah we are, we cook over coals.

Meanwhile back at the 36" bar ranch. I just like all aspects of saws and firewood. The sounds the smells the comradery between all involved. Being in the woods, working hard and having fun. Having stuff to talk about as my life is very simple nowadays. Seeing guys cutting big wood, chips flying was always fascinating to me. 24" and 65cc was as big as me and my dad had. He sold his super 754 along time ago and I started looking for one recently now that he is retired and wanting to have fun with him before he's gone. Now I have 2 754s and a few more old remingtons. Making videos, cutting wood, felling trees, and all the thought and work that goes into safe felling is an adventure to say the least. Even if we only use it once the memory will last a lifetime. When the guys we know are gone that we enjoyed hanging out with we will be scrounging the memories we had with them.

Ok brufab ..... here you go. Kinda small chips. Chain must need attention! Lol
Love the 10 - 10s I have my grandpa's Pro Mac here I think they had an array of P and C sizes The pro mac was bigger than the normal 10 - 10 I'm all washed up for the evening but I'll grab a photo of mine tomarrow.
I been looking at getting a 10-10 for the heck of it but they go for alot on ebay. And there's like 20 generations of them, not sure what one would be best, each one is slightly different. Pics of the carb area shows alot of stuff going on with some black looking cables.
The black cables are just rubber springs that pull the throttle and choke back they are not that bad thing. We had some crazy storm when I was a kid. Was almost a tornado took down about 4 huge popple trees. It was the summer and I worked all day for a week cutting that stuff with that pro mac I remember my hands were numb from using that thing all day. Then I split it all with a 6 pound maul.

You get more wood home faster with big rounds, then there’s more work at home. It’s a trade off that could be necessary depending on how much time you have.
I think I lean toward 20” and under because I can usually pick them up whole and set them in the bed of my dump trk. The bed is about 4’ high. Easier for me to wrestle on the splitter too.
Funny how we all have different preferences. All good tho!! You take the whoppers and I’ll take the 20” and under!!

Latest posts

Back