Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What‘s a “bolt” in firewood terminology? I haven’t heard of that.
In the context of my posting, a firewood bolt is a section of log cut to firewood length but that is not split. Bolts, in general, can be cut to any length that meets a particular need. Some firewood bolts are cut to 8' lengths and stacked into a 4x4x8' unit for the purchaser to finish cutting and splitting. It is a cord of raw wood but it isn't going to yield a full cord of split 16" firewood. For boiler wood I've cut it into 2' lengths for one guy and 16" for another... the 2' guy only wants bolts of a diameter that he can throw right in the boiler--typically 10" or less. The 16" guy splits his boiler wood... he's 82 now and still splits wood!

I found an article that gives specifications for bolts in a specific context: https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/othe...ium-papers/04_1969-birch_carpenter_p26-32.pdf

What‘s a “bolt” in firewood terminology? I haven’t heard of that.
unsplit, long length. Some will eventually cut to size and possibly split too. some use bolts for larger furnaces. A Bolt of fabric was what Gram used to buy to make clothes for the family- or the entire drum and bugle corps uniforms.

You are not allowed to have outdoor wood burners where I live.

I also hear you about the gov paying you NOT to grow stuff, but the trouble with Gov is they never change the rules on time. Just look a the 50 mi restriction of moving firewood (because of Emerald Ash Bore). Well, it is everywhere now, but the travel ban (needlessly) remains.

The same will happen with farmland. Until there is bad climate elsewhere, and a shortage occurs, they won't know it is coming.

We are also letting hundreds of thousands a month cross the Southern border, and this will greatly accelerate this problem.

It is better to sound the alarm too early, than too late. I'm also very worried about the future of hunting. If the population keeps growing too fast, we will become just like Europe where only the privileged can do it.

All of Putnam County is built up, and when I was a kid, it was very rural. I also remember my father talking about how the Bronx used to be all farms. It seems to always go in the same direction! A friend of mine, who is my age and grew up here, tells me of all the farms he used to hunt on. They are all gone.

Everything ran when parked

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Not a problem, I can have it running in a coupe hours. Problem is, then I'd want to keep it. I already sold my Ford 641. I still have a Massey 135, 4 JD's and a China 20HP diesel loader 4X4. I got too much stuff!!

We call that a “round”.

The loader bucket in my avatar picture is full of rounds.
Yup… they are called both depending on the context. It seems the more automated commercial operations use the term bolt. As I had just been reading something about such an operation I had “bolt” on the brain!

Decided to pull down a few slabs that have been according to my neighbor been in the rafters of my barn since the 70s . Well they are to large and heavy for two people going to need a few more and some ropes so I’ll do it in the spring . But I found this sitting on top of them . There is a beam running the ridge to hoist hay my barn was used for hay storage .5012CB2E-493F-4A72-866D-EFB089BBCDF5.jpegBD383BB2-778D-4824-B15A-39821588A436.jpegFF491CD2-4B03-4703-B4EE-4E5FD345A0D7.jpeg60CF1B1D-FB60-476A-A2A7-279CB005AC1B.jpegDA600134-8CB0-4882-ACEF-5695C9119C42.jpeg

Not a problem, I can have it running in a coupe hours. Problem is, then I'd want to keep it. I already sold my Ford 641. I still have a Massey 135, 4 JD's and a China 20HP diesel loader 4X4. I got too much stuff!!
That's sacrilege. There is no such thing as "too much" of anything.

That's sacrilege. There is no such thing as "too much" of anything.
I don't know about that... A few weeks ago I gave my son a whole bunch of mostly woodworking tools: Planes No. 3, 4, 5, 7, low angle block and block, a couple different spoke shaves, dial calipers, combination square, sliding bevel, dovetail saw, etc. Yesterday I gave both my sons a box that weighed approximately 40 lbs. that was full of screw drivers, a variety of pliers, diagonal cutters, hammers, cats paw, and various other hand tools. I did this because it made no sense for me to own 2, 3, 4 duplicates of tools. For example, how many No 4 smoothing planes does one need? I had 4... I still have 3 but only use the Lie-Nielson. I gave one of them a 28 gauge shotgun and scoped .270 rifle a few months ago... I never used those guns as I have others.

Some of the tools I bought new, some I inherited. The No 7 is actually a Millers Falls No 22 that belonged to my grandfather. The sliding bevel was my friend's grandfather's and it has patent dates from the 1890s. I'd rather see these tools put to use than collect dust in my shop. I'm getting out of the museum business!

Dups.jpg

Speaking of sacrilege ... I just heard they are lowering the HP and torque on the 2022 Mustang GTs and Mach 1 to meet emissions!!!

Guess I will just have to hang on to my primitive 06! It is running well, just not as comfy as those new IRS ones with the Magna Shock ride!
Is it not just the engine map that restricts it? A remap is easy.

I don't know about that... A few weeks ago I gave my son a whole bunch of mostly woodworking tools: Planes No. 3, 4, 5, 7, low angle block and block, a couple different spoke shaves, dial calipers, combination square, sliding bevel, dovetail saw, etc. Yesterday I gave both my sons a box that weighed approximately 40 lbs. that was full of screw drivers, a variety of pliers, diagonal cutters, hammers, cats paw, and various other hand tools. I did this because it made no sense for me to own 2, 3, 4 duplicates of tools. For example, how many No 4 smoothing planes does one need? I had 4... I still have 3 but only use the Lie-Nielson. I gave one of them a 28 gauge shotgun and scoped .270 rifle a few months ago... I never used those guns as I have others.

Some of the tools I bought new, some I inherited. The No 7 is actually a Millers Falls No 22 that belonged to my grandfather. The sliding bevel was my friend's grandfather's and it has patent dates from the 1890s. I'd rather see these tools put to use than collect dust in my shop. I'm getting out of the museum business!

View attachment 961318
Wonderful collection of tools, and better they are used and useful, good move.

Yes, I flushed the oil. Wynn's is I believe lots of detergents. It's aimed at shifting varnish and sludge. My car has only every had good oil and changed often.. Except this last time, should be sludge free but every engine will build vanish I guess. Mine has also always run at higher oil temps than most (Based on me asking on an owner's forum). Owner's manual says don't push on until oil at 80C so I take that as bottom end of operating range, the oil is good to 130C but VW put the engine into limp mode to protect itself at 120C. From New mine used to settle at 101-103C. Over the years this had climbed, usually stepping up after an oil change oddly, and it pre flush settled at 108-110C. I wasn't sure the cause and actually thought it more likely that the sensor was drifting out than an oil problem. I tried the flush just because..... You know, you get an idea to try, can't hurt, a can is £6 and few in this case so what the heck. Well now the oil temp is settling at 98-104.C. So back to where it was and it goes up and down much much quicker dependingding on if I'm coasting or climbing a hill or.. I wonder if the oil cooler inlet valve was getting sticky and is now free again? No idea really. Any how, use is easy, get oil hot and ready to drain, switch off and add the Wynn's, idle or fast idle for 20 mins, drain.

Oh and I've heard little using diesel as a flush, that won't shift any non gas soluble varnishes but probably shifts some sludge.

It's definitely done something although I'll never know what or if it was a help, but I've bought 2 cans and will do my wife's car and my own again next oil changes. After that we will see but I'll probably not do it more than every other oil change, at most. Wynn's suggest using every change, but then they would.
Diesel, kerosene, marvels mystery oil and dextron III ATF work excellent as a oil system cleaners, the diesel/kerosene run it for 15-20 min then drain, mmo or atf you can drive the engine just try not to exceed 1/2 a quart per 5 quarts of oil. I used to add 1/2 a quart of atf at every oil change to a old turbo mitsubishi eclipse I had and it was spotless under the valve cover after 30,000 miles or about 9 oil changes, just be aware it will burn off and require the oil topped off, plugs may get more deposits and wear faster as well. It should help clean diesel injection systems that use oil pressure clearing up harder starts and stiction. If you have more than a little buildup use cheap oil and change it often (under 2k miles) and do not use flushes or you may have chunks come loose that will plug up oil ports. Even the new antifreeze (100k service) needs to be replaced starting at 100k miles, radiator drained and filled every 30k miles or about 1/3-1/2 of the fluid. A lot of engine blocks have antifreeze drains on the side, even he new antifreeze will separate, gel up and loose its anti corrosion properties.

I've bought myself a trailer! eBay purchase, not collected yet but fingers crossed it's as good as it looks, in which case it was a bargain as I was the only bidder. Just a little 5'*3' 750kg unbraked. Want it for family camping trips but will be useful for hailing wood too. I've gone and bought a wood hauler! Tow bar fitting booked for s couple of weeks, then I can go and collect.

Latest posts

Back