Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turnkey,b have you read Lars mittings Norwegian Wood? The book starts by describing the importance of firewood there, and how for men it's a job the pride, providing warmth for their families... And how older guys often compete to leave behind several years worth of wood...I kind of status symbol. You must be the king of Norway, congratulations!

I've been meaning to order that book for several years. My Amazon account is not useable as they do not recognize my password any more. Last time I used it was 2008. I hate sites that force one to open an account to order something.

Biggest I have seen was around 7' diameter but it was multiple stems grown together. That was in the middle of a clear cut of dead locust. I left it standing as I had no equipment big enough and I couldn't tell if the stems would separate. I got 10=12 cords out of that scrounge back about 2004

I've been meaning to order that book for several years. My Amazon account is not useable as they do not recognize my password any more. Last time I used it was 2008. I hate sites that force one to open an account to order something.
It is the "Bible of Firewood" here in Norway. Easy reading and lots of good stuff. Higly recommended!

Its worth reading. Good information but more so you feel the love people have for working firewood.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I split the three bigger pieces enough to easily get them onto the wagon, I can’t get the trailer to the woodpile right now. Some of it is longer than I cut normally, from the fork at the top of the trunk. We’re still burning. I’ll burn them if they fit, this wood is dry.

38DC2A09-70C4-4AF1-9058-57F2F3757979.jpeg
46A3A11A-43CB-46D5-A50F-39F9278D8D62.jpeg

I split the three bigger pieces enough to easily get them onto the wagon, I can’t get the trailer to the woodpile right now. Some of it is longer than I cut normally, from the fork at the top of the trunk. We’re still burning. I’ll burn them if they fit, this wood is dry.

View attachment 970357
View attachment 970358
Those look like some nice nuggets there.
Pretty wet here today, managed to get a lot done though, did a lot of burning too :blob2:.
Probably burned a couple cord worth of brush and logs up to 12", the log on top in the second picture is a 12" log.
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.27.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.22.36 PM.png

Trying something with the maple sap been reading that if you drain off the ice from the buckets the remaining liquid will have more sugar content . Well I’ve done that for three days and sure enough the liquid is at 9+ brix one brix is one percent sugar on a refractometer . An hour into the boil and I’m at 30%, maple syrup needs to be 66 % 99951C62-4213-4C80-80FD-6AFDD8C8744C.jpeg5D2B5BB7-7E72-47AE-82DA-F4B3474EE358.jpeg

Either my racks are half empty or half full... I can't decide. Started out with a workout at the firewood gym and then the kids just came out without being asked. The hound doesn't help.
13cac66435174fa1d377153ebf2b8cf5.jpg
55637f57c26e9ea53375a9a99d1fb44d.jpg
c70c735899ad0cc7c023a4b2dc03ec12.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Jeezeuz!!! Have I ever lost it this winter. Nice day out, temps mid 40s, no breeze so I decided to move a wagon load of wood to the porch. That went alright so I decided to tackle the piles of limb wood and start putting it through teh multistation sawbuck. This is all black locust small diameter (6" minus) from 4 to 7' lenghts. Rather unwieldly but not over heavy. I had loaded it two days ago but the wind drove me off before I cut and stacked. Saw gave me a wakeup. MS363. Barked on first pull and then I forgot to look to be sure it was on half choke. It takes two hands to get in in the cotrrect notch or it hits run and ain't about to start there. Reset properly and about 6 pulls later cleared the flood and we were in business.

Great feeling with a good running saw in my hands reducing limbs down to firewood size. Cut and stack that load up, load the sawbuck and repeat. It was while i was loading it for the last batch that I realized I was already fagged out!! Back in the house and hadn't even bee working but about 20 minutes.

Looks like I will have some recovery to do before I am back (if ever) to swinging the saws for 3 hours again. That's where I was back in early November. I ain't gonna quit this stuff until I can't crawl to the wood pile.

Trying something with the maple sap been reading that if you drain off the ice from the buckets the remaining liquid will have more sugar content . Well I’ve done that for three days and sure enough the liquid is at 9+ brix one brix is one percent sugar on a refractometer . An hour into the boil and I’m at 30%, maple syrup needs to be 66 % View attachment 970520View attachment 970521
Same as making apple jack. Let the weather do the work as much as possible. ;)

if you drain off the ice from the buckets the remaining liquid will have more sugar content .
It's been many, many years since I did sugaring, but I remember well how much I enjoyed lifting ice out of my buckets (sugar does not freeze, only water freezes) to have concentrated sap remaining. One time I did that & had nearly finished syrup in the bottom of the bucket.

However, you have to be very careful because freezing can bust your sap buckets open.

It's been many, many years since I did sugaring, but I remember well how much I enjoyed lifting out the ice (sugar does not freeze, only water freezes) to have concentrated sap remaining. One time I did that had nearly finished syrup in the bottom of the bucket.

However, you have to be very careful because freezing can bust your sap buckets open.
Just for hell of it I heated the ice up to liquid it was below .5 % not worth the propane to boil it down .

Latest posts

Back