Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have chaps but can't stand them because I'm always climbing over stuff. Got paints through Bailey's Chainsaw.

They cost a lot more ... but I wear them ... so I guess they are worth it.

Started wearing them after I tore a little hole in my canvas paints, luckily just scratched the leg, but I figured I may not be so lucky the next time.

Been using saws for over 40 years and it was the first time I did that ... and hopefully the last time!
chain saw chains: sharper the better! but not for all limbs....

How did you do that Mike.
I set my saw on my chaps one time with my leg up on a log, I didn't set the brake and it was barely spinning and it picked a bit of fiber out of my chaps. I think I posted a picture of it here, it was 3 or 4 yrs ago in the spring iirc, cutting at a buddies property for the veiw, it turned out nice anyway.
better than the 'bit of fiber' that this guy's chain picked up....

[X]

Nope, private owner.
Beautiful garage kept and waxed ride, I'm working on getting it into more worked condition though lol.
sounds bit like my NH... seller built spl shop to keep it in, had 75 hrs TT on it, had changed the oil twice since new... and had never pulled a shredder!!!

:numberone:

I love it when folks actually post about scrounging firewood in this thread! Thanks!

I did not like those either, which 'soured me' on the general idea of chainsaw protective pants for a while. Fit is also more important that with chaps. The opportunity to try the Cloggers changed that. There are other 'upscale' brands as well: no substitute for seeing them in person and trying them on.

This raises an important issue with any shared PPE. Gloves and safety glasses are inexpensive and should be 'personal' (individual). Some things, like helmets, face shields, and respirator face pieces, can be sanitized between users, by using commercially available chemicals sold by the PPE manufacturers, such as wipes or dips (https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...nt-ppe-tips-for-non-healthcare-workplaces.pdf).

Most clothing can be laundered. ***But chaps are a special issue due to the protective materials used *** Most chaps sold in the USA will say 'hand wash and line dry only', which is time consuming and difficult to do effectively. STIHL chaps sold in the USA (NOT Canada!) will say 'machine wash and dry' - do NOT use bleach (!), which makes them a good choice for shared PPE by groups or businesses. The Clogger guys told me that most of their stuff can be machine washed and line dried. Heat and bleach can damage the various protective fibers used.

I have laundered the chaps for some of my volunteer groups many times, at laundromats, or with home, front-loading washing machines. They come out surprisingly clean, even after sweat, mud, cow pastures, etc. Nice thing to do with your personal gear too, even if it is worn outside of your regular clothing!

Storm clean up has its own sets of issues, as does each type of cutting: logging, arborist work, firewood, etc. I have worked with a number of different volunteer groups, in a variety of states. There are a variety of skill levels among volunteers, and the key safety thing is matching skill levels to the tasks at hand, even if that means walking away and leaving it for someone else.

Philbert
me, too! however, some deviation seems inevitable:

1) I love it when folks actually post about scrounging firewood in this thread! Thanks!

foller'd by:

2) Most clothing can be laundered. - I have laundered the chaps for some of my volunteer groups many times, at laundromats, or with home, front-loading washing machines. They come out surprisingly clean, even after sweat, mud, cow pastures, etc. Nice thing to do with your personal gear too, even if it is worn outside of your regular clothing!

;)

I also know of a handful of PTO incidents in my lifetime. All were life long farmers. One bad judgement or one innatentive second is all it takes....
i personally know a couple farmers who thru the years of use, got comfortable with no brake set! lucky they can still drive one, albiet both walk with a limp now! uh-huh!

then there was the time, made the front page local paper... dad n son, nice spring day out farming... shredding... one seat tractor... but the dad made an exception for his son to ride, too... after all, it was a nice day! warm n sunny

the story did not have a happy ending! but it did have an ending! :nofunny:

i never get off my tractors w/o brakes set to ON!

The 2in1 doesn't work with skip. You probably know that,.... Unlike Wranglerstar. 🤣

The Stihl trousers you linked are class 1 rated (will stop a chain running at 20 m/s).: I think the husky ones are the same as mine, which are class of 2 rated, will stop as chain running at 24 m/s. I imagine a ms400 has a fairly high chain speed, even with a25" bar. I'd want class 2. You can get class 3 (28 m/s) but they cost a lot more and will find them warmer I guess.
Boots, wear decent protective boots. Use of safety glasses, they are cheap, to eyes aren't. I never used then to cut and relied upon the face shield on my helmet then I got educated by the gents here. Face shields protect faces, not eyes.

I'm very impressed by such and industrious young man as the king, very impressed!
hmm, maybe i should stop cutting wood in my shorts...

1647880938088.png

In the US, the rating is ‘pass or fail’. We don’t have the same class ratings that the EU (and maybe Canadian?) standards have. Some manufacturers will describe theirs as ‘6-layer’ or ‘9-layer’ but not by chain speed. And I don’t know if chain speed is as important as torque (e.g. a 40cc saw vs a 70cc saw running at the same ‘speed’).

The Clogger guys discuss some of the differences between chaps standards on their website, in one of their ‘white papers’.

Philbert
'whoo-ha-a...!' :happybanana:

will dance for firewood

I've been tempted many times, but each time I read the reviews on the dewalt versions it seems they are still working thru problems.
I have a hard time believing it would be faster than a 45cc saw, maybe a 35 or 40 though.
Is his the 60volt saw. My 60 volt hammer drill is a beast, you can run some large legs in and slow right down and feather the last couple turns and it just keeps going, you have to hold the battery with your spare hand to keep the drill from spinning.
to me it's like...

water or beer?

water based stain or oil based stain?

mayonnaise or miracle whip?

but, have to admit, i really do like my cordless B&D 3/8ths.... :yes:

What‘s a “bolt” in firewood terminology? I haven’t heard of that.
For the record This is on page 3504 and the thread is up to3573. Everybody has been busy here Whilst I was preoccupied with company and an auction (57 th annual Firemens' consignment auction) Now to the bolt Query ,, In the 60s' and early 70s' white oak was bought by the bolt for splitting into barrel staves for whiskey. I was tied to the family sawmill but heard the normal odd conversations from the loggers and others about Bolts, splits and staves. Never actually did the work so conversations have gotten fuzzy.. LOOK SQUIRREL..
I am now going to jump forward in time (To page 3573) and see what kind of ripple affect this time delayed reply has caused.

I've have Osage Orange from maybe 30 years ago and when I got more this past year (or two ago?) I thought I'd burn a piece every now and then. I put a piece of the new stuff on with over hardwood splits. I thought it would burn fast and hot, but it burns really slow. Which is good. I can put a piece on before I go to bed and still have coals when I get up in the middle of the night. Is this normal (not the bathroom breaks but the slow burn) or is it due to it not being completely dry? It was uncovered.
When the forecast says cold and windy I put a chunk of hedge in. I create a cradle with split wood in the center of the firebox to prevent the hedge/osage orange from getting on the sidewalls and warping the firebox walls. Those big chunks we call "ALL NITERS" as you get older your vocabulary changes definitions. When I was a kid someone had to stoke the stove in the middle of the night When it was cold and windy my Dad would drink a big glass of water before going to bed. You can sleep in a cold room with a few extra blankets and the stove could go out but you will have to get up to get rid of that glass of water. Usually early enough in the nite and the stove hasn't burned down to far that a few chunks and then back to bed.

Actually, I've used the 2in1 successfully on skip chain. While the forward rail does not have a tooth to ride on, you just hold the tool in proper position, and it does just fine for me.
I have never used a 2 in 1 but I certainly believe filing a chain gets to be autonomous (Big werd fer me) and Like turpentine/corn cobs and cats arses ,,, Ya know it will work so ya know someone is gonna try it.
{An attempt at humor}

How did you do that Mike.
Was really reaching for a limb with the 261, got it, and let off the throttle, but I guess the chain was still moving when it reached my leg. Was late in the day and I was starting to get fatigued. I often rest the powerhead on my leg, but just a bit wrong this time.

I've been tempted many times, but each time I read the reviews on the dewalt versions it seems they are still working thru problems.
I have a hard time believing it would be faster than a 45cc saw, maybe a 35 or 40 though.
Is his the 60volt saw. My 60 volt hammer drill is a beast, you can run some large legs in and slow right down and feather the last couple turns and it just keeps going, you have to hold the battery with your spare hand to keep the drill from spinning.
Yeah, its powerful for what it is. If you replaced the factory picco 325 saftey chain on it with a picco chizel, if it would pull it, it would be nice.

I think that's why the augur splitters give me the heebie-jeebies. Years of operating combines, with their numerous whipping chains, sprockets, belts, etc., and balers, etc. with pto shafts--all it takes is a moment of inattention to get a sleeve caught or some such. The casualty list/rate is beyond comprehension.

We knew a woman (a WWII bride from Britain) whose husband, Woodrow, didn't come in for dinner one day. She found his grisly remains tangled in the combine out in the field.

When doing combine repairs (I was the mechanic in our operation), my father-in-law would be in such a hurry to get back to work that he'd get pissed at me for "wasting time" to replace shields. My reply was always "there's a reason that shield is there."
Ive had it catch my arm before, but the firewood block just smashed my arm, just bruised me. Theres a bar that you rest the block on, and if its straight and you keep your fingers out of the way your ok. Common sense.

Back