Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MountainHigh

MountainHigh

Selective Tree whacker
Wow, very rare to see one on such a bright day. We got them here in NY also, even took one a few years ago. Taxidermist told me it is the most difficult animal to take in NYS. I have seen them several times when hunting, usually on cloudy days very early or very late, and usually in early bow season. Usually, you can't blink an eye or they will pick you up. They say the bigger cat does not exist here any more, but people keep claiming they have seen them, and one was killed on the road a few years ago.

Hey, you are still out there cutting, and most people would never split that amount by hand at any age! So, good for you.

You should get good money for those 346s. Go buy yourself another 562 (you always need 2 saws) and put square file on it for when you cut clean wood! (maybe with a 24" bar).

Hope you enjoy your night out with the better half.

I'm old school ... every animal life is sacred - only take a life in order to feed or protect ones family. The big cats are awesome to see in the wild. Families of Grizzlies are in peril here from trophy hunters. If you spot one, locals never publicize it, or its a gonner. A $10,000 trophy hunt buys you a Grizzly with head to mount on a wall - truly sad ! Then there's the poachers who cut down families of animals and only take the gall bladders for some sort of Asian virility potion. :mad: :mad: [end of rant]

re still out there cutting - Thanks for the moral boost, my aging knees need all the support they can get ;)

I'm thinking a Stihl 241 c-m might be next saw, just to mix things up a bit. Or I may go 550xp if the Stihl doesn't fit.

Tim Burke

Tim Burke

D8Chumley
welcome tim, were aboughts in pa are you from
I'm East of you about 10 min West of Valley Forge National Park, 45ish min West of Philly. I've lived here for 32 years, used to be alot of farmland here but Urban sprawl has gone nuts. Fortunately I have a little 5 acre slice of heaven nestled in the woods surrounded by 30-40 acres of woods then farm fields. I can still hunt on my property, if I could find the time haha! I mostly hunt dead standing and blow downs any more. I read somewhere wood burning isn't a hobby it's a lifestyle, and I can attest to that these days ;)

dwasifar

dwasifar

ArboristSite Operative
Easy peasy score today. Wife and I were leaving the house to go to lunch and literally right across the road a crew was taking down a big silver maple. I pulled over, talked to the crew boss for two minutes, and fifteen minutes later we were dumping out a small load of logs on our driveway. When we got back we cut and split it up in only about 40 minutes. Maybe half a face cord, not a big score, but you can't beat 'em when they're close enough to see from your upstairs window.

MustangMike
Mountain, I usually only take what I eat, but there is no shortage of Bobcats here even though you don't often see them (the track are all over in the snow). I went back an forth on taking it, and decided to do it. For the next 3+ years there was an explosion of grouse and snowshoe rabbits on the property. I like those critters too, and that cat must have really been taking it's share. It you stay within the rules and only take your share, Mother Nature has a way of adjusting the balance. By the way, it was on my 50 acres, and I keep it undeveloped so they will all have habitat.

There are a good # of Black Bear, and we have also seen Bald Eagles and Osprey. We even had a Garter Snake living in the woodpile inside the cabin that we left alone.

Back to saws, just got the limiters out of my brother's 460 so I can put the dual port muffler and K&N filter on it. I cut the tabs off, now I have to put it back together. It should be very strong!

Big decision this weekend. Do I take down a pesky aspen and 3 big balsams that could threaten my buildings? Do I cut the lower quality trees crowding my access road and salvage the trunks? Or spend the time scrounging higher btu species? Probably have time for two of the three mentioned above and unfortunately I'm thinking that what should be done trumps gathering high quality species...

Either way, two 1.2 cord loads are coming home which will just about fill my woodpile space.

nomad_archer

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Another load this evening after work. This has been a great score. I have been cutting tops 2-4 nights a week sometimes more some times less depending on weather for the last month. There is still quite a bit of good stuff down plus I will be taking some of the easy easy poplar off this fine gentleman's property to help him get it out of the way.

This score was a response to a craigslist ad and there were others that came out initially and took one load of wood and never came back. The land owner had a set number of guys he let come out and I am the only one that is still out there cutting. Really nice guy. I probably have a couple more weeks of 2 loads a week before I am satisfied that I got enough of the good stuff and helped him out. I will make sure to send a thank you card since this really helped me out.

puzepa3u.jpg

yduvubyj.jpg

MountainHigh

MountainHigh

Selective Tree whacker
By the way, it was on my 50 acres, and I keep it undeveloped so they will all have habitat.

There are a good # of Black Bear, and we have also seen Bald Eagles and Osprey. We even had a Garter Snake living in the woodpile inside the cabin that we left alone.

That's great to hear Mike ... thanks. but keep those garter snakes out of bed linen eh! that would be a nasty surpirse :eek:

MountainHigh

MountainHigh

Selective Tree whacker
Big decision this weekend. Do I take down a pesky aspen and 3 big balsams that could threaten my buildings? Do I cut the lower quality trees crowding my access road and salvage the trunks? Or spend the time scrounging higher btu species? Probably have time for two of the three mentioned above and unfortunately I'm thinking that what should be done trumps gathering high quality species...

Either way, two 1.2 cord loads are coming home which will just about fill my woodpile space.

Do you have room for a secondary overload woodpile? I have slowly crept all over my property to place firewood - doing it gradually and my landscape co-ordinator (wife) didn't even notice :p - so much less lawn to cut is a good thing!

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Another load this evening after work. This has been a great score. I have been cutting tops 2-4 nights a week sometimes more some times less depending on weather for the last month. There is still quite a bit of good stuff down plus I will be taking some of the easy easy poplar off this fine gentleman's property to help him get it out of the way.

This score was a response to a craigslist ad and there were others that came out initially and took one load of wood and never came back. The land owner had a set number of guys he let come out and I am the only one that is still out there cutting. Really nice guy. I probably have a couple more weeks of 2 loads a week before I am satisfied that I got enough of the good stuff and helped him out. I will make sure to send a thank you card since this really helped me out.

That's pretty wood, and you are really packing it in there!

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak

I vote, trees that threaten buildings first, then scrounge higher BTU someplace. Your access road trimmings can come later sometime. Maybe next winter as you start using wood up, get the access road trees.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
I'm old school ... every animal life is sacred - only take a life in order to feed or protect ones family. The big cats are awesome to see in the wild. Families of Grizzlies are in peril here from trophy hunters. If you spot one, locals never publicize it, or its a gonner. A $10,000 trophy hunt buys you a Grizzly with head to mount on a wall - truly sad ! Then there's the poachers who cut down families of animals and only take the gall bladders for some sort of Asian virility potion. :mad: :mad: [end of rant]

re still out there cutting - Thanks for the moral boost, my aging knees need all the support they can get ;)

I'm thinking a Stihl 241 c-m might be next saw, just to mix things up a bit. Or I may go 550xp if the Stihl doesn't fit.

Ya, can't see that trophy hunting or poaching. The poachers are bad here, used to be six/seven years ago I saw small herds of deer and turkeys just about every day, now..very rare.

Hardly a night goes by you can't heat shots here and there in the surrounding area. With night vision scopes now being affordable and common, animals don't stand a chance up against aggressive poachers.

MustangMike
Don't worry Mountain, we sleep in the loft, and snakes can't fly! One time when MechanicMatt stayed up there alone, every time he went lights out something started moving and scared the H*** out of him. After several lights on/lights off episodes, he finally discovered it was a Flying Squirrel.

My brother also sent me another pic of our work on Wed, the first of 3 big White Pines we took down after taking down a few Oaks and a Maple. The top of the Pine went well past our 120' pull rope.

Attachments

• WhitePine5-14-2014.JPG
    WhitePine5-14-2014.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 44
Do you have room for a secondary overload woodpile? I have slowly crept all over my property to place firewood - doing it gradually and my landscape co-ordinator (wife) didn't even notice :p - so much less lawn to cut is a good thing!
My plan is to pile up the rounds that don't get stacked this summer and that will be next year's wood.

MustangMike
The poachers are everyone's enemy. Unfortunately it is often the stone guys and tree guys who take them with a 22 when they go in the logging roads early in the morning. There are a good # of deer up on my mountain, but YOU ALMOST NEVER SEE THEM WHEN YOU DRIVE IN OR OUT. That tells you something. Also, there are too many of these TV shows that make everyone think baiting is OK, even though it is illegal in NY. It it very frustrating to "go by the book" and not see anything after hours and hours of hunting, only to find out that not far away they are baiting and already have their deer. If you follow tracks in the snow you will find the baits. Often they put them on someone else's property so they don't get caught.

Hunting is the harvesting of a valuable resource, and if done correctly the fall deer harvest will prevent a lot of winter starvation, something that weakens the whole herd.

nomad_archer

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's pretty wood, and you are really packing it in there!
Absolutely packing it in. Got to make the most of my chances to cut before it gets hot, humid and buggy. Going back out again tonight for another similar load. It is all easy wood. I dont think I have had to haul anything more than 50' to the truck. Tough going in some places with a wheelbarrow but its worth it. Cant beat this place it is 15 minutes of back roads from home.