Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two clients sent tax info to me today, one of them has 18 attachments!!! This is in addition to the 3 returns that came in late yesterday that I have not even looked at yet!

I'll be glad when this is over!

Some good news, I may have established a connection to get seasoned Red Oak and Black Locust logs from one of my clients. Not only are energy prices skyrocketing, but one of the largest firewood processors in this area passed away last month, so there will be lots of demand. I used to fix his saws for him, was a real nice guy.
at first, i thot it was going to be a joke....

sorta like:

Where do homeless accounts live? In a tax shelter
:laugh:

but wait, there's more:

https://blog.accountingprincipals.com/accounting-jokes/
i like too:

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

1649961799812.png

I’ve had those before, they are pretty good tires. I think you’ll be happy.

Up here I find that it’s very beneficial to have more aggressive tires even if it means that you need to rotate more often to avoid scalloping issues and they also wear out sooner. You never know when you have deep snow mud to deal with.
they been around a long time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Tire_&_Rubber_Company
my first tires for my 55 Chev... were Cooper tires; $28.00 each. $4 to install-both. barely could afford. bot 2!

put them on front. about 1965

1649962115359.png

You better be careful, you're "treading" on thin ice with all these off topic tire posts ;).
Most times I use Costco when buying new tires as they have fair prices, and I compare them to a local wholesaler who does very well on high end tires.
Costco also has one of the best prices on batteries, so much so that you could buy their lowest level membership and still come out ahead on many batteries.
Sam's for me usually on batts.... but alas, don't want to be buying...

many!

2 or 3 enuff...

:givebeer:

Well shucks. I might as well just crawl into bed and stay. Snow mostly gone but it will be at least another day before I can risk reaching any of my scrounge sites. And then snow/rain again saturday. I may have a shot at trying the easiest one on Friday.

Almost went cutting today but it didn't happen. Yesterday I got my truck back but the delivery driver said the oil pressure was acting up just as he pulled in. Had b reakfast and decided to tack it to check if I can get into the nearest site. Nope. checked oil and showed abit low so tried to add some. Oil cap would not come off. Finally decided todrive it to town and have them show me how it comes off. I noticed the oil pressure had dropped way down just as I was entering town. A block later the bells, whistle and warning lights lit up. Parked it at the shop andthey are guessing it is jst a sensor. Had them drive me home, took car back to town to rescue all the goodies out of the truck.

I did drive out to the scrounge site and found that the short dirt road in is in very good condition and the site itself is workable without getting stuck. Car and I will be visiting the willow bush clearance project in the morning.

Snowing again but not sticking.

Unfortunately, it goes till Monday this year ,,, and I do NOT do any extensions!

That said, when I looked at the info that was dropped off yesterday for someone's daughter, it looks like she has not filed in 3 yrs!!! I didn't even load 2019 on this computer yet! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Such a beautiful day today ... was horrible being inside all day long!

I got a few hours in today before the rain hit.... The ground is saturated and I got very muddy before the rain started... more brush cleared and moved more rounds up towards the road. It's slowly getting there...

Note that all the split wood in the photo was done by the tree themselves... one of the trees that came down barber chaired on it's own and some of the large limbs on the tree I felled split on impact.

Maple1.jpgMaple2.jpg

I got a few hours in today before the rain hit.... The ground is saturated and I got very muddy before the rain started... more brush cleared and moved more rounds up towards the road. It's slowly getting there...

Note that all the split wood in the photo was done by the tree themselves... one of the trees that came down barber chaired on it's own and some of the large limbs on the tree I felled split on impact.

View attachment 981234View attachment 981235
Gotta luv self splitting wood! :D

Unfortunately, it goes till Monday this year ,,, and I do NOT do any extensions!

That said, when I looked at the info that was dropped off yesterday for someone's daughter, it looks like she has not filed in 3 yrs!!! I didn't even load 2019 on this computer yet! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Such a beautiful day today ... was horrible being inside all day long!
It’s amazing that people done know/care

I almost always extend. Did this year again.

Sounds like a stack of extensions is in your collective future.;)

Me... bucked the maple and continued with cleaning up storm damage. I've got the debris field down to about a 50 yard by 50 yard area. All the other parts of that property have been cleaned up of fallen pine and ash. There are still 4 trees down and bucked and much of the brush has been cleaned up. Once this is done I'm off to my sons' homes to continue cleaning up ice storm damage there.

Note the mineral staining in the maple. If it wasn't stained I'd have milled it but I don't know what I'd do with stained maple so it's firewood...

View attachment 981182
That looks like ambrosia beetle staining. People love it I would mill some and see

IMO, there is (almost) no reason for extensions, they are just additional work. (Excepting people with medical problems).

If you are getting refunds, there is no need to file them (the penalty for not filing is based on the amount you owe, so if you don't owe, there is no penalty).

If you owe, you have to pay the amount due, and you have to do the return to know how much that is!

That looks like ambrosia beetle staining. People love it I would mill some and see
Definitely not ambrosia... it's a muddy brown mineral stain. Most of the maple I cut in that area suffers from it... Guys in my woodworking club bring in things made with ambrosia maple and it is nice looking stuff... I can only wish this maple looked like it!

Gotta luv self splitting wood! :D

I had a very strange feeling tonight when I met and held my brand new grandson... After felling, bucking, dealing with brush and moving rounds to a staging location over the past 4 days it occurred to me that he was the same size as a perfect piece of firewood for the fireplace I feed. Solid at 21" and 8 lbs. 15 oz. I may need a break from the wood. :omg:

Latest posts

Back