Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I read somewhere a 460r oil pump is a direct bolt on high output option.(?) I'm too used to my husqys oiling. I think a 24" bar would suit this saw really well. I did check the oiler and it was maxed out. Outer dog is ordered. Considering a bark box for it..... needs a little bling lol.

Yeah, I called 3 other "local" dealers till I found one with a saw equal to the 562xp in stock. I was pretty pissed with the one dealer that kept insisting that my needs would be met with a homeowner grade saw. I'll no longer be dealing with then at all for for out door equipment. Eblings in Myerstown had the ms400 and ms462 in stock and no husqys around 60cc. Wouldn't hold either till Tuesday morning either. It's sad shape were in. Was told by eblings and umburgers September to October is when the next shipment of saws will be in.
Have you ever done business with Madsen's they should have any Stihl or Husky pro saw your looking for, and ship fast! Great prices too! 👍 Service Saw is another good dealer and pro saw shop!👍

Well here she is... View attachment 990619View attachment 990620
All I can say is wow. Light weight handles awsome. Very nice power output. Doesn't seem to have the low end grunt I'm used to but very lively up top. It's a little back heavy, but I think of it can handle a 24" bar it would valance out about perfectly. Can't wait to get a few tanks through it. Its very stingy on oil. Put half the tank through it playing here at the house and it still had nearly a full tank of oil. Guess that will need adjusted right out of the gate. Sorry husqy.... think I'm a stihl fan again.
You might be able to turn that oiler up to max flow if you take a little punch and small hammer and lightly tap on the valve stop next to the flow adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw. You will then be able to turn the adjustment screw even further. Thus opening the oil valve further. It will then burn a full tank of oil to a full tank of gas. I know it can be done on a 661, because I opened mine up all the way by doing that and it works great! There is a "You Tube" video on instructions showing how to do it. However this adjustment is irreversible, so you won't be able to turn it back down, but I've never seen a reason to turn it back down. I want my oilers pumping max flow! That's just what I prefer though. To each his own!👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Think I read somewhere a 460r oil pump is a direct bolt on high output option.(?) I'm too used to my husqys oiling. I think a 24" bar would suit this saw really well. I did check the oiler and it was maxed out. Outer dog is ordered. Considering a bark box for it..... needs a little bling lol.

Yeah, I called 3 other "local" dealers till I found one with a saw equal to the 562xp in stock. I was pretty pissed with the one dealer that kept insisting that my needs would be met with a homeowner grade saw. I'll no longer be dealing with then at all for for out door equipment. Eblings in Myerstown had the ms400 and ms462 in stock and no husqys around 60cc. Wouldn't hold either till Tuesday morning either. It's sad shape were in. Was told by eblings and umburgers September to October is when the next shipment of saws will be in.
I put a straight shot from Jason Eagan on my 462 .Man is it loud. Wish I would have known you were looking for the 400. My dealer has a couple of them. Only saws I didn't see on his shelf was a 500 and 881.
What @Kodiak Kid mentioned about the pin on the oiler. I know it can be done to the 462 as well as the 661. Not sure about the 400. I'll have to research that.

I put a straight shot from Jason Eagan on my 462 .Man is it loud. Wish I would have known you were looking for the 400. My dealer has a couple of them. Only saws I didn't see on his shelf was a 500 and 881.
What @Kodiak Kid mentioned about the pin on the oiler. I know it can be done to the 462 as well as the 661. Not sure about the 400. I'll have to research that.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a straight shot? Never heard of one until I joined the forums and heard some of you guys talking about them. Is it anything like a bolt on front muffler face secondary exhaust port for a Stihl?IMG_20220525_100234060.jpgThe muffler face on the 046 and 660 are bolt on OEM accessories from Stihl. The one on the 661 is after market from the pro modifier. I'm not sure where he gets them? But with that and the other mods he did. This 661 ain't no joke and you better be holding on tight with both hands because that saw is for men only! Probably 25-30% more power from stock. Sissy Little La La's need not apply!

I'm not a fan of any exhaust outlet out the front of the saw. I think many of them make more noise than power.

Most of the saw builders I know prefer a solid front, and additional venting from the sides as far back as possible. This seems to create less noise and more torque.
🤔 I'll have to look into that and research it. Thanks for the info bud!👍

Errmm.... What's the trailer rated to?
🤔 No Idea! I'm gonna say when it breaks is just over max load!👍 😂 I built the trailer myself and it's pretty skookem. I used a section of drill stem for an axel. Haven't broke anything on it yet and it's hauled several hundred big loads of wood over the years!👍 If ever anything dose break I'll just beef it up even more and keep on truck'n! 😉IMG_20220524_160638537_HDR.jpg

This is the only saw I have that hasn't had a muff mod on it, but I Like the bolt on muffler.
I wasn't really looking for a ms400, that was just what was available within a 45 min drive of me. I'm no saw brand snob, but wasn't impressed with stihl 60cc offerings when I got my first 562xp. Stihl not really, but this 400 is arguably lighter then the 562xp and the power is noticeably different in a cut.

Yes I've heard of Madisons, no I've never done business with them, this was more a want/need to replace a downed saw right now, then get at leisure.

As far as I could see there wasn't any pin to push in on the oiler like it's bigger brothers. Well see I'm gonna run a tank or three through it when I get home tonight.

You might be able to turn that oiler up to max flow if you take a little punch and small hammer and lightly tap on the valve stop next to the flow adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw. You will then be able to turn the adjustment screw even further. Thus opening the oil valve further. It will then burn a full tank of oil to a full tank of gas. I know it can be done on a 661, because I opened mine up all the way by doing that and it works great! There is a "You Tube" video on instructions showing how to do it. However this adjustment is irreversible, so you won't be able to turn it back down, but I've never seen a reason to turn it back down. I want my oilers pumping max flow! That's just what I prefer though. To each his own!👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

My MS441 Magnum is both a gas and oil hog. I bought a gallon at Wal Mart last week $15. Wow!!. I check at North Forty (Lewiston Idaho outfitters - they have anything yiou can think of in the way of outdoor stuff from farming to ranching, campling, chainsaws, etc. 2 gallon at $20. Took the 100 mile round trip yesterday and came home with 2 jugs. Gee, I saved $5/gallon so was ahead $20. Then stopped at the gas station to spend that 20 on 4 gallons gas.

Back to third world problems... or methods anyway. Wheelbarrow!

I never saw a wheelbarrow the year I was Iraq. When I saw them working concrete they’d shovel it into a sack, hoist it over their shoulder and take off with it. They usually mixed the cement by hand with a shovel or two, but one day we passed a sign that said “Cement Factory”. They had one of those tow behind cement mixers, shovels, bags and a water hose. That was their cement factory. And shovels are all I saw in that year also, no rakes, picks or anything else.

I had a dealer call me a couple nights ago, he didn't offer me any stihls though lol. He said they had just had a sale and had a 592 he could cut me a great deal on, really don't need a 90cc saw, and I'd rather keep the cash around for the barn, so not this time.

Started my old 353(non primer bulb saw) yesterday, it popped on the 2nd pull and fired on the third, it's been at least a couple months since I ran it last.

Our local stihl dealer an Ace Hardware doesn't have much in stock for pro saws. I said something about it to the owners son and he acted as if if was how it's supposed to be, last summer the shelves were fully stocked and they even had a 462(they don't normally stock 70cc saws, but order them as needed).
What is this good deal on a 90cc saw🤔

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a straight shot? Never heard of one until I joined the forums and heard some of you guys talking about them. Is it anything like a bolt on front muffler face secondary exhaust port for a Stihl?View attachment 990787The muffler face on the 046 and 660 are bolt on OEM accessories from Stihl. The one on the 661 is after market from the pro modifier. I'm not sure where he gets them? But with that and the other mods he did. This 661 ain't no joke and you better be holding on tight with both hands because that saw is for men only! Probably 25-30% more power from stock. Sissy Little La La's need not apply!
Here is a link to Jason's site. He also does port work. https://eganperformancesaws.com/collections/all

Our local stihl dealer an Ace Hardware doesn't have much in stock for pro saws. I said something about it to the owners son and he acted as if if was how it's supposed to be, last summer the shelves were fully stocked and they even had a 462(they don't normally stock 70cc saws, but order them as needed).
I was lucky to find a 462 last September. I was calling everywhere looking for one except Ace Hardware which is just a few miles away. I finally called Ace when I struck out everywhere else. Not expecting a hit, the guy put me on hold for a few minutes to check. Came back and told me the mechanic is putting one together as we speak. Had it in my hands 30 minutes later. :D

🤔 No Idea! I'm gonna say when it breaks is just over max load!👍 😂 I built the trailer myself and it's pretty skookem. I used a section of drill stem for an axel. Haven't broke anything on it yet and it's hauled several hundred big loads of wood over the years!👍 If ever anything dose break I'll just beef it up even more and keep on truck'n! 😉View attachment 990798
I need big wide wheels like that for my garden cart. 👍

OK what good is having a scale on the side of the oil with no site . It’s ok when I mix 2 gallons at a time but I need to mix a gallon . The older bottles had the site window . Now I have to use the measuring cup for epoxy . Which I’ll have to replace oil and epoxy don’t mix well. 40CC0D3F-3B01-4969-A55B-FC9F8299EAC1.jpegD8AF1627-EA61-48FA-A046-0421EB1B57EC.jpeg

Back