Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started on the stacking today. Landscape timbers down and leveled, 10ft oak pallet down and leveled. The noodled ash makes for great ricks. About 2 1/3 cord fit on the 1st pallet. 10X6X5. And thank you to whoever told us about the $2 landscape timbers at lowes.

Attachments

• 20150419_133822.jpg
    20150419_133822.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20150419_133843.jpg
    20150419_133843.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20150419_133853.jpg
    20150419_133853.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20150419_140115.jpg
    20150419_140115.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 39
Yep Steve, you nailed it. I've stopped reading most threads to keep from having to use the ignore function. I still blame it on Spring Fever. Folks are antsy.....need to get outside and blow off some steam. This thread and the midwest GTG thread are the only two I check into regularly (right now), anymore. Dan mentioned tulips a couple pages back. Tulips down our way are ready to be cut back and the poison ivy is thriving. Ugh! Don't even get me started on the dandelions.

Friendly threads are rare right now, and this thread was where I made my first post. Glad everyone is still getting the scrounge done. You guys kick butt.

Yep Steve, you nailed it. I've stopped reading most threads to keep from having to use the ignore function. I still blame it on Spring Fever. Folks are antsy.....need to get outside and blow off some steam. This thread and the midwest GTG thread are the only two I check into regularly (right now), anymore. Dan mentioned tulips a couple pages back. Tulips down our way are ready to be cut back and the poison ivy is thriving. Ugh! Don't even get me started on the dandelions.

Friendly threads are rare right now, and this thread was where I made my first post. Glad everyone is still getting the scrounge done. You guys kick butt.
I think spring fever plus a lack of mods once SS retired. Those couple of threads that should have been deleted got a few folks sideways and it snowballed from there.

Matt, I'll be glad to take a look at it and see how it is bedded and what I can do with it. Unfortunately hand loading is not an option with that one, so if your chamber is not tight it will only get "so good". Neck sizing improves the accuracy of a lot of guns.

This has been my favorite site since it started. Clint set the tone, and everyone else has maintained it. I check several threads, but this one and the Upstate NY GTG are my favorites. Several of the others remind me of a Dog chasing it's tail!

This site has a positive tone, is informative on a number of issues, and has a lot of nice pics! Keep er Rollin!!!!!!

I did some scrounging on Friday and Sunday. No pics though because it's the same scrounge site. I barely made a dent in all the rounds lying on the ground. Pretty awesome how this one scrounge site will put me ahead for several years all because I took a chance and posted on a local forum.

It sure is nice having one thread on here that isn't full of drama.
My ignore list is definitely growing today.

I've been so busy with work and home repairs/maintenance I haven't had time to look through the site recently. Sounds like I haven't missed much.

Matt, I'll be glad to take a look at it and see how it is bedded and what I can do with it. Unfortunately hand loading is not an option with that one, so if your chamber is not tight it will only get "so good". Neck sizing improves the accuracy of a lot of guns.

This has been my favorite site since it started. Clint set the tone, and everyone else has maintained it. I check several threads, but this one and the Upstate NY GTG are my favorites. Several of the others remind me of a Dog chasing it's tail!

This site has a positive tone, is informative on a number of issues, and has a lot of nice pics! Keep er Rollin!!!!!!

I agree. I neck size only the brass for all of my bolt guns. After 5x-6x of being fired I have to full length resize my brass so I bump the shoulder back or otherwise it gets too tight and it tough to close the bolt. Neck sizing only made great accuracy improvements. The only thing I need to do is have the actions of my bolt guns bedded. One day I may actually have it bedded.

A Derail
I have always found accuracy is best if the cartridge fits the chamber.
Had Pac-Nor rebarel a Win 70 in .222 Rem to 221Fireball, .246" tight neck.
I did a chamber cast and found the chamber was 0.55" over spec.in the neck length.
Standard 221 FB is around 1.395". My chamber was 1.455". What to do ?
I took a Win 222 case and reformed it to 221 FB, trimed to 1.450 and I had to turn the neck anyway.
Now I had a case that fit the chamber. And it shot 40gr bullets into one hole at 50yd.

I finaly finished splitting those hardwood rounds that were burried under 3 ft snow all winter and pay attention to the 15 cord of Pine I have scattered around.
Yes, I'm still burning. Weather here is cold damp with rain, I like warm and dry.
Burning chunks and uglies with a measure of Pine to keep it burning.
I'm down to about a cord of hardwood left.
Just have to put on my "Poor Me" face and start scrounging again.
I was having problems with my HD Mikita 6421. Bar and chain got smoking hot.
I replaced the bar and fitted a new 72LGX,72 DL chain, Back to what I remembered what a 6400 cut like.

I was sitting here, thinking (bad idea), If I wasn't so poor and thrifty (cheap), I would just buy my firewood css, and feed the stove.
Instead I buy saws, fuel and oil, chain and files, axes and wedges, rope and come alongs, A Peavey, pulp hooks and pickeroons ,maintain two P/U's, three ATV's, three trailers, hard hat and chaps and 200$ logger boots, gloves. And $1000 Hydo splitter .
It must be the smell of saw dust and 2 smoke mix in the morning.

If I don't do it, It don't get done. Gettin old ain't for sissies.

A Derail
I have always found accuracy is best if the cartridge fits the chamber.
Had Pac-Nor rebarel a Win 70 in .222 Rem to 221Fireball, .246" tight neck.
I did a chamber cast and found the chamber was 0.55" over spec.in the neck length.
Standard 221 FB is around 1.395". My chamber was 1.455". What to do ?
I took a Win 222 case and reformed it to 221 FB, trimed to 1.450 and I had to turn the neck anyway.
Now I had a case that fit the chamber. And it shot 40gr bullets into one hole at 50yd.

I finaly finished splitting those hardwood rounds that were burried under 3 ft snow all winter and pay attention to the 15 cord of Pine I have scattered around.
Yes, I'm still burning. Weather here is cold damp with rain, I like warm and dry.
Burning chunks and uglies with a measure of Pine to keep it burning.
I'm down to about a cord of hardwood left.
Just have to put on my "Poor Me" face and start scrounging again.
I was having problems with my HD Mikita 6421. Bar and chain got smoking hot.
I replaced the bar and fitted a new 72LGX,72 DL chain, Back to what I remembered what a 6400 cut like.

I was sitting here, thinking (bad idea), If I wasn't so poor and thrifty (cheap), I would just buy my firewood css, and feed the stove.
Instead I buy saws, fuel and oil, chain and files, axes and wedges, rope and come alongs, A Peavey, pulp hooks and pickeroons ,maintain two P/U's, three ATV's, three trailers, hard hat and chaps and 200$ logger boots, gloves. And $1000 Hydo splitter .
It must be the smell of saw dust and 2 smoke mix in the morning.

If I don't do it, It don't get done. Gettin old ain't for sissies.

I think your Makita is fried. I'll gladly take it off your hands for the price of shipping plus a few more bucks to help pay for the inconvenience of mailing it.

I'm already planning my sissification from old age. Wife and I are moving to either Panama or Costa Rica. Spent my first 20+ years of life near the beach in a tropical type environment and that's where I'll spend my last years (hoping it will be a several decades). For now I'm stuck humping out logs from the woods. Wife and kids are no help. Must suck to be a sissy, no scrounging weakling at such a young age.

Nice try Reid,
The fact that it blows 170# compression is keeping it from being a 7900.
I believe my grandson Mikey has first refusal on that saw. He borrows it when his baby Stihl is chalanged.
I spent 13 months in San Juan, PR. Was nice but wouldn't trade it for Autum in New England. I'll suffer the other seasons.
Can't handle the big wood anymore, have to noodle them to size. A two footer is about max, then I noodle or get some youngblood to help.
My hydo splitter is a life saver, can't do the maul thing for long, to rough on the knees, elbows and shoulders.
Off the tail gate onto the splitter, into the trailer is how I like it. I'll stack it latter.
I have to spin up a couple loops, that Pine across the road is calling and 72LGX is the ticket.

Nice try Reid,
The fact that it blows 170# compression is keeping it from being a 7900.
I believe my grandson Mikey has first refusal on that saw. He borrows it when his baby Stihl is chalanged.
I spent 13 months in San Juan, PR. Was nice but wouldn't trade it for Autum in New England. I'll suffer the other seasons.
Can't handle the big wood anymore, have to noodle them to size. A two footer is about max, then I noodle or get some youngblood to help.
My hydo splitter is a life saver, can't do the maul thing for long, to rough on the knees, elbows and shoulders.
Off the tail gate onto the splitter, into the trailer is how I like it. I'll stack it latter.
I have to spin up a couple loops, that Pine across the road is calling and 72LGX is the ticket.

There must be something up with the makita's? I've Had the hot bar and chain twice, replaced the bar and all was well. Bar looked good no obvious defects. I have never needed to replace a bar on any of my other saws.

stihly dan says,
"There must be something up with the makita's? I've Had the hot bar and chain twice, replaced the bar and all was well. Bar looked good no obvious defects. I have never needed to replace a bar on any of my other saws".

Something I"ll watch for. A rental saw from HD so I have no history. Bar doesn't look like my other Makita bar.
I do have two new 24" Makita bars on standby, but 24" is a little long for most of my cutting. Th other 6400 is running a 16" bar and is a cutting fool, no stall even burried.

Makita smoking bar and chain my be a topic for a new thread ?

Nomad, buy some Bownells epoxy and you can do it yourself! I usually bed the action and sometimes 1-2" of the barrel on a bolt gun, then free float the rest. It will shoot more consistent in varying weather conditions, and point of impact when you use a bipod will not change (before bedding & free floating, the 220 Swift would shoot and inch or more higher at 100 yds with the bipod on).

Be sure to use the release agent on all parts you want to remove (like the action), and especially don't epoxy your screws!

Latest posts

Back