Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fully aware that barns only come in one size, too small, but unfortunately so does the amount of funds I have to invest in one :rare2:. But a guy has to start somewhere :D.
Build it, and it will fill up 😆.
Took the little ford ranger and the Honda insight to the junk yard this week, so I gained trailer space(and I can list the trailer now), and another parking space on the concrete pad. And most importantly scratched off the Honda from my to do list that's a couple miles long :reading: :oops:.
not Texas barns... mine still has loads of room left and avail! 🤠

swell AK pix there KK... just seems like a lot of hard work to me. but then... down here it rains oak... all the time. maybe i am just spoiled...
View attachment 996500
Roger that, but as far as spoiled goes. 🤔 You guys are definitely getting the cream of the crop when it comes to firewood simply because you have all those hard woods. As far as hard work? There is always some degree of work involved in "The Scrounge" Good tools, expiriance and fitness condition all play a huge part. Some make it look easier than others. I have a couple neighbors that ask if I want to go scrounge some up with them. I just wittingly come up with an excuse why I can't. Simply because they are not as efficient, safe or as healthy as I. Don't get me wrong. ☝️ Im not boasting here. I'm simply just stating that I won't work next to someone who is going to be in my way and slow me down in the process. While at the same time be a hazard to he himself, me, and or both of us. I actually enjoy scrounging fire wood the way I do. It keeps me active, in shape and my cutting skills honed in between jobs. Most importantly It keeps me in shape for hunting season!!!👍😂😂

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

time to run. off to sweat the heat! 'no sweat!'... wet for sure soon! hot out. 90f! for the DIY in anyone... includes wood issues, too...

Kate:

Kate was standing in the kitchen cooking dinner. Her husband Paul was in the living room drinking a beer and watching the game.

"Honey, you need to come in here and fix the fridge. The door is broken, and if you don’t fix it the food will go bad," Kate said.

Paul yelled back, "Who do I look like, the PG&E man? I don’t think so."

A little while later, Kate said, "Honey, you need to fix the hall light, it’s out."

"Who do I look like, an electrician? I don’t think so," Paul retorted.

A few hours later, Kate said, "Honey, you need to fix the porch step before someone gets hurt on it."

Paul quickly replied, "Who do I look like, a carpenter? I don’t think so."

Frustrated from all the requests, Paul gets up and leaves. He decides to go to a bar down the road. After the game was over, he began to feel slightly guilty for the way he treated his wife, so he went on home.

He came up the porch and realized that the step was fixed. He walked into the house and noticed that the hall light was fixed. He walked into the kitchen to get a cold beer and noticed that the fridge was fixed.

"Babe, how did you fix all this?" Paul asked his wife.

She looked at him and explained, "Well after you left I began to cry on the porch. A fine young man walked past and noticed I was crying, and he asked me what he could do to help.

He fixed everything. I asked him what I could do for payment. He said I could either bake him a cake or sleep with him."

"Well, what kind of cake did you bake him?" Paul asked.

Kate looked at him and replied, "Who do I look like, Betty Crocker? I don’t think so!

hope all you fathers, have a Happy Father's Day...

1655488941648.png

I don't know what fire wood goes for where you guys are from. Here it is 250$ to 300$ a cord! Depending on if the customer wants it stacked or not.
I'm seeing ads for £150-180/m³. A cord is 3.5m³ and £1=$1.2 so ...$450 for a cord, delivered to the curb.
What's the saying? ' don't like the weather in TX? Stick around!'.
Used to visit Dallas lots, experienced 40f drop in temp in half an hour as a front came over and once with snow on the ground for most of the week followed by sunshine and 80+f weekend.

Not a good week. Rain/dry/rain, rept. 3 days on the weekend house bound due to rain, Tues dry but I needed to wait for the dirt roads to dry. Wed, doc appointment. Thur to the willow bush clearance, no go, too wet at the entrance gto get in. Planned to go on to the Horse Chestnut one but somehow the truck took me back to the old house maple. I did spend a few hours taking a couple rounds off that huge butt. 32" bar on the 441 would not reach all the way through and then it was a man killer getting the round turned far enough to noodle down to a size I could handle. Did come home with some wood.

Just back today. Willow bush still to wet, looks like it will take a week to dry out, so returned to an old willow scrounge. I had cleared that one last year but there was one good willow down a gully. 4 hours today clearing crap out of the way and had it ready to fell. 4 hours is about my limit so home.

MS193T was cutting fine then next time I picked it up the chain jammed. Lots of try this, inspect the sprocket, nothing. It felt like it was catching in the drive sprocket. I finally spotted it as teh bar nose sprocket. Saw down now until a new bar. Fortunately I had my old Husky top handle to finish the day.

More rain tonight. If dry wx tomorrow I'll tryi pulling that willow out of the gully on Sunday.

I'm way behind on the amount of wood harvested by this time of year. Only have about 2.5 cord willow and 2 cord maple. No locust at all so far this year.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Mike. Nobody should die at work. As joint health and safety rep, I see things everywhere. Camping with the family this week and saw a.park worker brush cutting. He was wearing one of those hard hats with the visor screen and ear muffs...with the visor and muffs up! I stopped the truck to straighten him out. Younger people seem to be more safety oriented than us older school guys but it's our responsibility to look out for them.

Roger that, but as far as spoiled goes. 🤔 You guys are definitely getting the cream of the crop when it comes to firewood simply because you have all those hard woods. As far as hard work? There is always some degree of work involved in "The Scrounge" Good tools, expiriance and fitness condition all play a huge part. Some make it look easier than others. I have a couple neighbors that ask if I want to go scrounge some up with them. I just wittingly come up with an excuse why I can't. Simply because they are not as efficient, safe or as healthy as I. Don't get me wrong. ☝️ Im not boasting here. I'm simply just stating that I won't work next to someone who is going to be in my way and slow me down in the process. While at the same time be a hazard to he himself, me, and or both of us. I actually enjoy scrounging fire wood the way I do. It keeps me active, in shape and my cutting skills honed in between jobs. Most importantly It keeps me in shape for hunting season!!!👍😂😂

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
You said in a previous post you guys have Black Birch ... that is VG firewood! Just slip a few pieces in for the night!

What do you guys think when you see an ad like this, I think, "challenge accepted" :laugh: .

View attachment 996443

He also had this one, it's the reason why many places have laws in place about selling firewood.
So it's a 5x8.5' trailer, how high are you filling it for it to be full, is it stacked in or just tossed in :buttkick:.

View attachment 996444
Is that is Lebanon PA? :baba:

I know a lot of us run ethanol free fuel in our saws, and most of our two-stroke stuff. And the link to the video below is pretty interesting. I watch this guy's videos quite a bit, and find his topics, like cutting wood, milling logs etc. pretty interesting. But in this video, he actually shows you how to test the fuel you're buying to verify that it's actually ethanol free. I never knew that you could test for ethanol so easily, so this was kind of cool to me. If you don't want to watch the entire video, the part that shows how to test for ethanol is only about 2:30 long. It's from the 5:20 mark, until about 8:35, in case anybody's interested.

I know a lot of us run ethanol free fuel in our saws, and most of our two-stroke stuff. And the link to the video below is pretty interesting. I watch this guy's videos quite a bit, and find his topics, like cutting wood, milling logs etc. pretty interesting. But in this video, he actually shows you how to test the fuel you're buying to verify that it's actually ethanol free. I never knew that you could test for ethanol so easily, so this was kind of cool to me. If you don't want to watch the entire video, the part that shows how to test for ethanol is only about 2:30 long. It's from the 5:20 mark, until about 8:35, in case anybody's interested.

My cousin has a little tester thing like that. Just has a fill with water to here line and a fill with gas to here line. Pretty neat how it works. Even better to convince a customer when you take fuel out of their mower, saw, outboard tank and let it sit there wile you get the paper work started and show them hoe much corn juice is in the gas... they let sit in their (fill the blank) all winter.

You said in a previous post you guys have Black Birch ... that is VG firewood! Just slip a few pieces in for the night!
Very good, ☝️ but very rare here. We have it, but not much. They are few and far between unfortunately.👎 I burn a small amount of alder we have an abundance of it, but its more a bush than a tree. With the main branches having a six inch to eight inch diameter at thier biggest. However, they taper to just two or three inches in ten or twelve feet. I'd rather just harvest big Spruce Snags.👍

Latest posts

Back