Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I agree, I like zenoah engines rc engines they are great. Hoping one of these turns into a runner, even if I don't need any of them lol.
I got up pretty early today and mowed with the cub. Grass was about 8 inches high. 😬 blades definatly need sharpened..... supposed to start storming here soon, so I wanted it cut. Back yard turns into a swamp for a few days after it rains.
For sure.
I have some black locust starters in mine, anyone need a few lol. Funny how quickly they will take over, dang weeds.
Got the main portions of the yard all mowed, the deck runs quite enough that I can now enjoy the engine and the air getting moved by the high lift blades :clap:
20220705_150616.jpg

Japanese stuff now has a quality reputation like stuff made in Germany ... such a big turnaround.

I remember when stuff made in Japan was distained worse than stuff (now) made in China and was just referred to as "Jap Crap"!
Yep, it's certainly changed.
Now there's chinesium 😆.
While they can make things of any quality they want, they know Americans these days for the most part don't want quality, they want it now. It's sad how many "Americans" have sold out the people here for a quick buck, it's certainly not all the Chinese fault, we've asked for it :rare2:.

Briggs and Stratton on a new 35 ton wood splitter. It had oil but grenaded within an hour. 🤷‍♂️
What a bummer.
I have this one on mine, it starts easy and runs great.
The only issue I've had is that the small pieces of wood that fall off the beam under the cylinder fall on the muffler, then they will burn because they cant get out of the mesh around the muffler so they smolder and have even started on fire. Could be a fire hazard, maybe lol.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.55.37 PM.png

Got everything but the bottom primed on the trailer today/this evening.
Thought you guys might want to see it :laugh: , yeah, it was a little late when I finished up :). I did get quite a bit done for a 90 degree day.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.53.18 PM.png

What a bummer.
The only issue I've had is that the small pieces of wood that fall off the beam under the cylinder fall on the muffler, then they will burn because they cant get out of the mesh around the muffler so they smolder and have even started on fire. Could be a fire hazard, maybe lol.

View attachment 1001159

Got everything but the bottom primed on the trailer today/this evening.
Thought you guys might want to see it :laugh: , yeah, it was a little late when I finished up :). I did get quite a bit done for a 90 degree day.

View attachment 1001160
Got a husky 20 ton log splitter it has a 4 hp tecumseh on it from the late 80's the hydraulic tank needs some patching though.

What a bummer.

View attachment 1001159

View attachment 1001160
Mine is a 1450 series. I got a ridiculous deal on the machine and I'm in no rush so all I did was shrug when it exploded on Sunday. The dealer picked it up early this morning, Tuesday, and is pursuing a warranty replacement of the engine. I'm in no rush as the maple rounds I have in stock are intended for the 2024-2025 season. I've got plenty of hand split oak to carry me through until then.

I got the splitter as we are probably putting a wood stove in one of my son's homes. There are many cords of wood there from the ice storm. I can also get many many 100s of trees off the rail trail I help maintain--and it would look better to get rid of all those downed trees. I could really use a long armed grapple to recover it all but I'm not inclined to own such a thing. As such, there will be a lot of trees composting in place.

Fixed the exhaust on my sons truck today as the pipe had cracked right behind the cat. Did a few other projects and then had a friend and his boys stop by. Enjoying some brews with him and then cooked dinner for everyone. After dinner we did some tubing and water skiing. Just about to hit the sauna then bed time.

Back to the Horse Chestnut. Good progress Fell one small and one large stem off it and cleaned up the brush except for a little left to do the next time. Came home with half a load. Bit warm in the sun but I didn't cut down my shade this time.
MS 192 getting cantankerous about starting warm after about 1/2 tank. I'll take it to the dealer next lazy day - 100 mile round trip but he always works on whatever I bring in right then. Local dealers are a week or more wait.

Husky top handle same deal. That is my backup for the Stihl top handle. It'll be going to the dealer tomorrow on my way to a consult with my insurance agent to discuss adjusting some coverage to cut down the bills a bit.

Both saws need some maintenance, plug, fuel filter, clean exhaust screen, carb twiddle, etc.

Mine is a 1450 series. I got a ridiculous deal on the machine and I'm in no rush so all I did was shrug when it exploded on Sunday. The dealer picked it up early this morning, Tuesday, and is pursuing a warranty replacement of the engine. I'm in no rush as the maple rounds I have in stock are intended for the 2024-2025 season. I've got plenty of hand split oak to carry me through until then.

I got the splitter as we are probably putting a wood stove in one of my son's homes. There are many cords of wood there from the ice storm. I can also get many many 100s of trees off the rail trail I help maintain--and it would look better to get rid of all those downed trees. I could really use a long armed grapple to recover it all but I'm not inclined to own such a thing. As such, there will be a lot of trees composting in place.
Sounds like it's all working out fine, great they picked it up too :). That's where I'm at with my CSS, 2 years ahead on my personal wood, so the splitters I currently have are both up for sale. I do have quite a bit I could split for selling though, as what's left (about 2 cord) is already spoken for. I'm sure wood sales this fall will be up from last yr, so I'd like to have more ready to go, unfortunately I only have a few sticks of dead standing, everything else is green. For myself I have plenty of locust(probably 8-10 cord of logs), and the neighbor has more, he's just waiting for cooler temps to finish the three trees I dropped for him.
The good thing is if I started now I could have all that locust hand split by the time I need to refill the wood shed in the spring, but I probably won't be doing all that lol.

I was thinking of you a couple days ago, I saw they had a bunch of heavy equipment down one of the old railways they made into a bike/walking path not far from our place. I was very surprised they had that big of equipment on there, but the base must be solid seeing as it's old tracks.
I can see installing a wood stove right now being a good idea, especially for those with a supply of wood. A good friend of mine is picking up his and some pipe soon as it's all paid for. I'm sure I'll be helping him cut right around the corner from his house a friend of mine has 40 acres and has it logged often. He said you take 2/3 and leave me 1/3, he doesn't burn much and just wants the woods kept clean, win win!

Got a husky 20 ton log splitter it has a 4 hp tecumseh on it from the late 80's the hydraulic tank needs some patching though.
I haven't heard that name in a while. My 1966 Toro sports a Tecumseh which I mowed my dad's lawn with when I was around 11. You know, one of those chore things. ;)

P6150006.JPG

I haven't heard that name in a while. My 1966 Toro sports a Tecumseh which I mowed my dads lawn with when I was around 11. You know, one of those chore things. ;)

View attachment 1001194
Those old Tecumseh and the OMC made LawnBoy's lasted for decades with hard use. Nobody makes engines like that anymore.

Latest posts

Back