Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two large (solid) Ash trees I felled last fall: (Actually 3 trees, but two were real large, the other was a fork).

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_145304540_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220112_145304540_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220113_111945705_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220113_111945705_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220113_130139531_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220113_130139531_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220113_130151512_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220113_130151512_HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
The tops are always what scares me. I opted to leave more than one of them in our woodlot and let mother nature do her thing. Just ain't worth the risk over a couple cords of wood.
Yep, they can come back as the tree is starting to fall, and they land right at the stump. Standard back cut is the least shocking and will break fewer, but a bore cut with a trigger gets you running away quicker.
Another thing to watch for is falling other trees near them, as they will rip branches off and send them flying.
As mike said, I almost always have a helmet on when falling, even a small branch(1" ) can cause damage from 20-40'. If I'm dropping a tree that's in the open and it's green with no hangers in it, I don't get too concerned, and I've been know to help someone drop a tree when I've gotten there and there was tree cutting I wasn't aware of happening. But I'm not making a habit of falling without a helmet when I have one available.

Yep, they can come back as the tree is starting to fall, and they land right at the stump.
Don’t remember if I told you before but last fall I was cutting a dead tree at work and top hit another tree, tree I was cutting broke in half and top came back and hit me as I was trying to run away, hit back of my head and shoulder, knocked me to the ground. Had hard hat on but was knocked off and got scratched on something, shoulder scratched and pretty sore, thankful it wasn’t worse, by myself 60 miles from town and no cell service. This week part of a top from a tree I fell stuck in another stump5DEB3B26-6D7E-4A20-BDDC-42FAA4B347E8.jpegHard hats and moving away from stump are good ideas for sure!
Hauled some nice red fir home after work Friday sense I got the brakes fixed (mostly) 7C60E2CF-62F2-41B9-908B-4823FFBD9F5E.jpegCould use some rain again….116EA43F-51EE-455B-BDE9-25F7859B0EDC.png
Nice sunset on the way out to camp/work 0FFD927E-BEB5-464B-A60B-837A60603235.jpeg

no scrounges to report. one still waiting on me. wish i could be in some of those cool mountain air shots posted up by Logger Nate! going to 103f here they say. will bust prev record for the day... mite scrounge up some cool air, later on... lol

true to form... past few days, campfires all afternoon... :cool: prob today, too... would like a campfire pix and therm reading 103f! ;)

stay cool.....

HI today: 112f!
1657471900840.png

no scrounges to report. one still waiting on me. wish i could be in some of those cool mountain air shots posted up by Logger Nate! going to 103f here they say. will bust prev record for the day... mite scrounge up some cool air, later on... lol

true to form... past few days, campfires all afternoon... :cool: prob today, too... would like a campfire pix and therm reading 103f! ;)

stay cool.....

HI today: 112f!
View attachment 1002020
112F? It was 51F here this morning when I started splitting, shut it down at 1030 so I could cut the grass and get my gardening done before it got "Hot" (81*) this afternoon.

cow manure doesn't bother me because i am surrounded by it and work in it.
Doesn't bother me either, there's around 60 head of beef cattle here now and they're fed daily in the old dairy herd stanchion feeders. The dairy shutdown in 2003, they poop smelled completely different to me as it was nearly liquid. I guess from a diet of grass, lots of corn and sorghum silage and ground feed everyday. The beef herd here only gets grass and hay only most of the time.

112F? It was 51F here this morning when I started splitting, shut it down at 1030 so I could cut the grass and get my gardening done before it got "Hot" (81*) this afternoon.
Started off 71 here this morning at 6am and has only gone down to 68 right now. I'm in west central NC and we're stuck in the Appalachian wedge(Cold-air damming) weather pattern with some fog and a lot of rain. 1.5" so far today, been really dry all Spring and Summer until this month, 4.5" so far in July. 1/5 of our rain for the year has fallen in the last 10 days.

>H.I. today: 112f!

heat index...
Supposed to be in the low 80s today. Arrived at my Horse Chestnut scround 8:15. Immediately put on a padded vest, that wind was chilly. Finally peeled down to a T-shirt about 11:00. Home 12:30 to a 72 temp. I'm sure it will hit 80 today but late afternoon. Into the 90s the rest of the week.

MS193T - my main brush-out saw - failed me. It has teh "Easy Start" pull on it and I don't think it is cranking the motor fast enough. !00 mile round triop to the dealer in the morning, might have to buy a new saw

Is the ash still alive in your neck of the woods, we've lost about 95% of them to the EAB. Some started shooting off water spouts at the ground and the rest of the tree died, and out of the 5% that lived are most have some damage, but seem as though they will now live, and there are a small amount that seemed to get no damage, some of those were sprayed and some not.
Sad to see them go as many relied on them for firewood in the river bottom, and I know two people here locally that were injured/ died from them falling on them with no provocation, and the other was hit by a large branch while falling them for firewood. He had been cutting firewood for 60yrs, the smallest saw he ran was a 70cc :oops:, he was a farm boy and it showed, tough guy for sure.

I can’t believe you have an Ash left. My friend counted at least 70 on her farm dead, mine bit the grit 2-3 years ago. Good wood, but once it hits the ground it rots fast. I might get a few more cords from my friends farm. Last time I brought 10’ logs home there was more half rotted, punky wood than good fire wood. Now we’re pushing the logs in the washouts caused by the flash floods coming off the hills where the Ash forest used to slow the water down and diffuse it.
Ash is still around here EAB got some of it but there is still a lot of large living ash trees.

Don’t remember if I told you before but last fall I was cutting a dead tree at work and top hit another tree, tree I was cutting broke in half and top came back and hit me as I was trying to run away, hit back of my head and shoulder, knocked me to the ground. Had hard hat on but was knocked off and got scratched on something, shoulder scratched and pretty sore, thankful it wasn’t worse, by myself 60 miles from town and no cell service. This week part of a top from a tree I fell stuck in another stumpView attachment 1001966Hard hats and moving away from stump are good ideas for sure!
Hauled some nice red fir home after work Friday sense I got the brakes fixed (mostly) View attachment 1001967Could use some rain again….View attachment 1001970
Nice sunset on the way out to camp/work View attachment 1001975
Pretty sure we talked about that, gotta stay aware for sure. That stick in the stump is :surprised3::crazy2:, many times it would seem it's only by God's grace we make it home at night :yes:.
Great pics buddy.

Pretty sure we talked about that, gotta stay aware for sure. That stick in the stump is :surprised3::crazy2:, many times it would seem it's only by God's grace we make it home at night :yes:.
Great pics buddy.
Yes sir!
Thanks.

Helped my son cut hay at friends place today that hasn’t been cut for awhile, this is what it looks like when a logger cuts hay😂
5AEB2149-8B1A-41AC-97DF-54BE08864DC0.jpeg

Is the ash still alive in your neck of the woods, we've lost about 95% of them to the EAB. Some started shooting off water spouts at the ground and the rest of the tree died, and out of the 5% that lived are most have some damage, but seem as though they will now live, and there are a small amount that seemed to get no damage, some of those were sprayed and some not.
Sad to see them go as many relied on them for firewood in the river bottom, and I know two people here locally that were injured/ died from them falling on them with no provocation, and the other was hit by a large branch while falling them for firewood. He had been cutting firewood for 60yrs, the smallest saw he ran was a 70cc :oops:, he was a farm boy and it showed, tough guy for sure.

I can’t believe you have an Ash left. My friend counted at least 70 on her farm dead, mine bit the grit 2-3 years ago. Good wood, but once it hits the ground it rots fast. I might get a few more cords from my friends farm. Last time I brought 10’ logs home there was more half rotted, punky wood than good fire wood. Now we’re pushing the logs in the washouts caused by the flash floods coming off the hills where the Ash forest used to slow the water down and diffuse it.
It's been dying for quite a while and the only ash I have. Every year I plan on cutting it but something always gets in the way. It's a small tree and won't hit anything if it falls. A few years back I noticed large 6' long green sprouts coming out of the trunk about eye level. I guess its last attempt.

Here is the trailer load of the larger Ash rounds I pulled out last year.

For perspective, the side of the trailer is 15", and that Ash was dead and rock hard.

When it got over 20" it really slowed my ported 462s, but my MOFO Hybrid with 28" B+C just pulled right through it. I am very impressed with that saw and used it for felling and bucking the large portions of both of those big Ash trees.

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_160525930_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220123_160525930_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220123_160603684_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220123_160603684_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220123_163346504_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220123_163346504_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back