Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of others too ;). Over there with the starting lineup include a Homelite 925, Poulan 505, and 8500 all running.

Most of the saws in the foreground don’t run but a few do.

View attachment 1006918
Is that a 10-10 close to the box???

Lots of others too ;). Over there with the starting lineup include a Homelite 925, Poulan 505, and 8500 all running.

Most of the saws in the foreground don’t run but a few do.

View attachment 1006918
Nice you have a whole slew of husqvarna 65s one of my favorite. I have 3 or 4 myself. Great firewood saws have a very distinctive sound. A couple of those look mint usually they are missing the stickers.

Nice you have a whole slew of husqvarna 65s one of my favorite. I have 3 or 4 myself. Great firewood saws have a very distinctive sound. A couple of those look mint usually they are missing the stickers.
Yes they’re my favorite! One of them actually has the ultra rare chain brake!

"teens" for deep frying"? I'm a fisherman, and I know people in different regions call fish by different names, but I've never heard of a fish referred to as a teen. Fill me in please!
Teens as in younger fish. The big footballs get tossed back. Many dont know not to eat old fish. The meat is better when theyre younger

UK all time temperature record smashed before noon today. Temps are expected to peak been 3 and 4 pm. I think there will be a few less climate change deniers here by tonight.

In England everyone always talks of the 'long hot summer of '76'. It was an almighty record breaker in everyway. It's only 12th warmest day on record now with all the warmer ones in the last 20 years, most in the last decade.
In the 70s average July highs were a mere 18C. Now it's something like 23C. Before noon today we hit 39.1C and I reckon by tonight somewhere is going to top 41C. It is FIRKIN' HOT!

Jeez, after a million years you blokes finally get a decent day and you're complaining!

Just can't please some people.

:lol:

Well fellers, I'm both back from our trip away and all caught up with my reading. Since there has been even less scrounge posted than usual in my absence, I don't feel at all bad about spamming things up with other stuff.

Warning: Pic heavy. Sorry. Well, not really sorry.

So we cruised the north-west coast of Australia. The only way to get through there is by boat once you reach the end of the road, it is about as remote as it gets. No phone or interwebs up there. There are a million islands up there and the land is ancient - in the region of 1.8 billion years old. Sedimentary rock, no fossils. Check the folding and distortion of the sandstone in this:

20220716_152942.jpg

We were on a small mothership with a dozen guests and 5 crew. There were three tenders towed along (Barry, Trevor and Jack - named after the local fish Barramundi, Trevally and Mangrove Jack) that were used to do most daytime activities.

20220717_180004.jpg

The tides are massive - up to 11 metres and at the fastest rose or fell at nearly two inches per minute. This pic is at Horizontal Falls which is two tidal pinches where the water roars back and forth under tidal force alone. I have a vid somewhere that shows it better.

20220716_164702.jpg

Moonrise on the first night.

20220715_193844.jpg

Sunset on the second night. We had been oystering in the morning and chowed them down that night. The sunsets and sunrises were stunning.

20220716_175025.jpg

We fished most days as that is where much of our food was sourced. You always had the feeling that you were being watched, not sure why...

20220717_092011.jpg

No shortage of snappy handbags around.

20220719_103035.jpg

Absolutely unafraid of humans. No rinsing your hands in the water!

20220720_103323.jpg

We were after Barramundi first and foremost, a beautiful eating fish. They were a bit slow as the water was cooler than they like but there were a few around.

20220720_105218.jpg

When the tide came in a bit, we'd go up the creeks and then it was just one fish after another. Drop a bait in the water and you'd see the swirl behind it and you'd be off.

Spotted Rock Cod

20220717_102816.jpg

Mangrove Jack

20220719_111349.jpg

Fingermark (just a little one)

20220720_120643.jpg

Then in the open water got this Queenfish on a lure

Resized_20220721_084318(1).jpeg

Which became this in the evening

20220721_172503.jpg

We were having a troll around in the fast water around the rocks

20220718_174411.jpg

when we saw this little fella sitting up on the point nearby. Pretty cool. Skinny little guy, it's harsh country. Only the crocodiles are fat up here.

20220718_173458.jpg

And the sharks of course.

20220718_204211.jpg

We did a heap of other stuff as well, the mudcrabbing

20220719_143813.jpg

The fire on the beach (it would have been 100 times the size if I had been involved in its construction)

20220719_165442.jpg

And of course the general lazing around as the scenery passed us by

20220719_154437.jpg

Amazing week.

We were having a troll around in the fast water around the rocks

when we saw this little fella sitting up on the point nearby. Pretty cool. Skinny little guy, it's harsh country. Only the crocodiles are fat up here.

And the sharks of course.

We did a heap of other stuff as well, the mudcrabbing

The fire on the beach (it would have been 100 times the size if I had been involved in its construction)

And of course the general lazing around as the scenery passed us by

Amazing week.
Wow that looks like one heck of a trip there. Glad you guys could have allot of fun! :cheers:

I have a shelf full of them. Love the 10-10 series
Love them especially the sound. Every one I have ever owned and/or used had fine particles messing up the carb and I believe that is why this one is here. I do not think their filtration system was the best. Legendary series of saw though.

I guessing a lot of you guys work on small engines and this is not a chainsaw. But I've got a small pressure washer that had been setting for years. I poured out the old gas and added gas/Sea Foam to the tank. When I spray starting fluid into the air intake, I can get it to run for a few seconds and then it dies. I'll pop off the gas line to make sure of getting gas to the carb. Short of that, any thoughts? I let it set for a couple of hours and then overnight and try it again. Hope the Sea Foam does the trick.

Edit: Watched a couple of videos. If I can't get it started, I take apart the carb and clean it. No need to respond.
I work on small engines and if it is a Briggs engine, some of their carbs have 3 holes in the plug at the bottom of the carb. I use OxyAccet torch tip cleaners and clean those holes out. The biggest thing I can recommend is to only use Non-Ethanol Gas in those small engines if they sit for a while. If you are going to use it for a while and go thru lots of gas then Ethanol will work as long as you drain it out when you get done at the end of they season and then refill with Non-Ethanol and allow it to run a min or two. Carbs can be really tricky and a pain in the backside!

Latest posts

Back