Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was actually a good lesson to a couple of my guys at work. I probably sound like a broken record when I preach to them the dangers of even just walking underneath dead tanoaks...naturally, they get kinda complacent about some of the safety topics. They were amazed how quickly a solid feeling tree failed.
Modern Marvels-Military Booby Traps... up in tree - square frame, bungi sticks, cord, tripwire, gravity, poisioned tips, devastating to soldier hit and those with him. mission integrity immediately compromised.

war - not a fun place to be!

is there a large fire out west?
Nothing really "large," or at least compared to fires the last 5-6 years, but there are a few in California right now. A couple fires started near Shasta this afternoon, one is already 4k acres...already burned a bunch of structures and there are reports of injuries. I also know that Oregon's had some fires too.

Scroungers out back.
Any of the three would be an easy shot. But all I took out today was a woodchuck with the. 17HMR and a huge 17gr ballistic tipped round 😆.
I sure hope you would not take them out. I am not aware of Michigan game laws but I really doubt you have a firearm season open now. I fully understand you were joking though. They do scrounge but do they do not f=effective wildlife populations like K-9 and felines's do, They are the scrounge of the woods and other areas

I sure hope you would not take them out. I am not aware of Michigan game laws but I really doubt you have a firearm season open now. I fully understand you were joking though. They do scrounge but do they do not f=effective wildlife populations like K-9 and felines's do, They are the scrounge of the woods and other areas
Everyone I can.

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 2.42.18 AM.png

Everyone I can.
Well I believe we agree on many issues but this is one that I guess we will have to respectively disagree on, Deer are not a nuisance animal. The natural hunting cycle should keep populations in check unless your state DNR is full of liberals. In Illinois we have seen a dramatic loss in deer numbers although I know most will argue that with me. I will gladly debate the issue with anyone in NW Illinois as long as they keep it civil without insults.

I want to make it clear I have ZERO knowledge of Michigan game laws and your populations. I just know in my area of Illinois our deer are suffering while the fuuuuucking coyotes are out of hand.

Yes I hate ****innnng coyotes

I just ran across this while perusing Google articles. I remember seeing a post about a week or so ago with a guy asking about the viability of having firewood kiln dried. That was new to me. I've never bought, sold, or dealt with kiln dried firewood before.

https://www.wcax.com/2022/08/31/fir...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s
Kiln dried is common here. Firewood suppliers can operate with smaller premises and without the need to invest in huge quantities of stock sat air drying. Instead wood gets brought in, kilned and sold, repeat. It also took off more because of a government grant scheme.

Morning gents. Long time no see. Been really busy again. Wife got chickens a few weeks ago, so I've been working on a coop and run for them. Dust have to finish up the coop yet. Pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. Need to finish it off this week. Fortunately after this hectic weekend at work, we go back to being closed during the week so I'll actually be working morning shift instead of all evening shifts. Gives me more freedom to get things done in the evening.
On the scrounging side of things, I finally got a call to go and get a couple load of logs yesterday. So hopefully this coming week/weekend I'll get over and get a load or two picked up. Should be pretty easy, they guy has equipment to load it up and it's already down. Best kind of scrounging lol.
Cheers all.

Well I believe we agree on many issues but this is one that I guess we will have to respectively disagree on, Deer are not a nuisance animal. The natural hunting cycle should keep populations in check unless your state DNR is full of liberals. In Illinois we have seen a dramatic loss in deer numbers although I know most will argue that with me. I will gladly debate the issue with anyone in NW Illinois as long as they keep it civil without insults.

I want to make it clear I have ZERO knowledge of Michigan game laws and your populations. I just know in my area of Illinois our deer are suffering while the fuuuuucking coyotes are out of hand.

Yes I hate ****innnng coyotes
Coyote in my front yard at 3 am stalking one of my cats who slept in the front porch park bench, Coyotes running down the beach just after sun up, hearing a new litter across the street whine back when the EMS truck drives down the road, missing a Yorkie and a cat one can only assume is due to the Coyote using the only 15 acres of preserved space on the island? Yeah, not a big fan of them either, but can't shoot them either due to the development of residences around me.

I agree with you on that IMHO ill only have a wheel gun in bear country. When I only have seconds to count on because a bear popped up right in front of you and it is or almost is on top of you and I bring that gun up I want to count on that there is a round to the pipe not that I've inadvertently somehow dropped the mag or the slide isn't in battery or any number of things that autos can be finicky about. Wheel guns are simple. Heavy trigger, it goes bang. Carry a speedloader if that's a concern if you practice you can reload just as fast as an auto. Don't get me wrong I love my 1911. I carry it as an everyday carry everyday but I know when less features is more.
I packed a .44 RM on my hip for years in the woods when I wasn't carrying a rifle. Then I bought this a few years ago. A Kimber 1911 in 10mm Auto. I carried it for a brief time in the woods as Brown Bear repellant. Probably about a year or a little more. I wanted to shave weight. Then I came to my senses and am back to the S&W 629 on my hip in the woods, and that's where it will stay! Unless its hunting season and Im carrying a rifle. However, even a .44RM seems small when you're face to face with a Coastal Brown Bear! 🤣😂IMG_20220519_141211375_HDR.jpg

I packed a .44 RM on my hip for years in the woods when I wasn't carrying a rifle. Then I bought this a few years ago. A Kimber 1911 in 10mm Auto. I carried it for a brief time in the woods as Brown Bear repellant. Probably about a year or a little more. I wanted to shave weight. Then I came to my senses and am back to the S&W 629 on my hip in the woods, and that's where it will stay! Unless its hunting season and Im carrying a rifle. However, even a .44RM seems small when you're face to face with a Coastal Brown Bear! 🤣😂View attachment 1014752
I've never seen a brown bear in person but I don't think I would want to toy with something that its head is the size of a 50 gallon drum lol. I do love 10 MM though seen allot of guys that hunt deer with them here too.

I
I've never seen a brown bear in person but I don't think I would want to toy with something that its head is the size of a 50 gallon drum lol. I do love 10 MM though seen allot of guys that hunt deer with them here too.
I'm not trying to boast here, but I've encountered hundreds of them. A few of the encounter's were pretty close calls. However, most often they will turn and run away. They don't really like being around or near people, but we should all know that bears are a very unpredictable animal and deserve their space and respect!👍

I
I'm not trying to boast here, but I've encountered hundreds of them. A few of the encounter's were pretty close calls. However, most often they will turn and run away. They don't really like being around or near people, but we should all know that bears are a very unpredictable animal and deserve their space and respect!👍
My assumption that the time that's the most dangerous is If you stumble accross a mom with her Cubs.

Back