Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on vacation this week, so I'm not on it, but there's a fire going on in the next county up. The smoke set in pretty hard this morning, so I'm hanging out inside the shop trying to avoid the smoke.

The building with the open door isn't the shop, just one of my sheds. I open the door on it to boost the wifi out to the shop lol.View attachment 1016071
Nice! Whats under the the tarp in the garage? "Quick SierraR! Cover the Delorian! No must see it! Not until we build another flux capacitor and bring it up to 88 miles per hour!

Nice! Whats under the the tarp in the garage? "Quick SierraR! Cover the Delorian! No must see it! Not until we build another flux capacitor and bring it up to 88 miles per hour!
Nothing too cool...2000 BMW 540i m-sport that's a project down the line. V8, 6 speed manual. I've had it up a little faster than 88mph...it's governed at 155, don't ask me how I know lol.

Several threads on it here on A.S. If it was that good, I have to assume that someone would be making a version of it still. ‘OSHA banned it’ is usually part of the rumors.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/_____chain-experts-weigh-in-mt-st-helens-chain-_____.281741/
(several more threads on this chain)

Philbert
Thank you Philbert I figured you would have some insight. It seems like from the thread you copied that it's like most good myths. There is a basis but like the best of bigfoot. Falls short in the end.

Well I couldn't sleep so I got up early this morning and thought I'd post a couple pics of some severely worn chains. Worn to the point of becoming dangerous. In fact, one of them parted on me the other day while making a face cut!

View attachment 1015949View attachment 1015950View attachment 1015951

Now I haven't parted many chain's! Only two that I can remember, maybe three. This one parted at the splice. Possibly due to too much pressure to fast when I spun it, but Im not sure. Im thinking it's more likely due to the insane torque and horsepower my Modified 661 makes!!! 😂🤣😉 Anyways, on a more serious note. If you look closely. You can see the thinning of the drive links. This is 3/8 .50g, I typically always run .63g but with the shortage of light weight bars right now. All I could find at the time in 32" was Stihl LW bars in .50g so I took what I could get. Begger's can't be choosers! 😂 However, as you can clearly see. The drive link isn't what parted. The side strap did. Witch would also be the same thickness on a 3/8 .63g chain.

This is a different chain that hasn't parted "YET", and it won't because I've chosen to stop running it before it dose part! View attachment 1015952View attachment 1015953
If you look closely at the drivers and straps on this chian. You'll see a tremendous amount of ware compared to a new chain.
Just something to be aware of. 👍

Also, the bar is Stihl in great shape. Witch tells me its getting plenty of oil, and it should be because I've got the oiler cranked all the way open!

And yes, I know the gullets need removing.😂 I've already removed them twice on both chains! 👍 I will take them out again if and before fir some reason. I end up using these chains as back ups.
"If" I run out of good chain, and can't get another spool. Hopefully That won't happen! 😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, That link was the weak link.

Nothing too cool...2000 BMW 540i m-sport that's a project down the line. V8, 6 speed manual. I've had it up a little faster than 88mph...it's governed at 155, don't ask me how I know lol.
The 540i is a fun car to drive.

Took a couple shots at the 10" gong this evening to make sure my boom stick and I Stihl shoot straight. The fresh splash four minutes high center is a 225gr Rem Core Loct. from 100yds. The copper spash 3 minutes right and level with the bull is a 225gr TTSX at 175yds. Both in .338WM The rifle is zeroed at 200 yrd. with 225gr TTSX the 225gr RCL have always hit two inches higher than the TTSX loads. Both shots were taken with factory ammo and the optic on its lowest magnification setting of 1.5 power, so Im sure the drift to the right from the TTSX was me being as the cross hairs in the duplex almost covered the gong at 175yds on 1.5 power. That being said. Im Stihl confident in the rifle and probably always will be considering the rifle has been in the back seat of the crummy with back packs, hard hats, cork boots and dogs bouncing around on it for the last two weeks. But hey! Its just a cheap piece of crap Savage! Not a Weatherby, or Sako, or Kimber, or Montana Rifle, or Dakota or Custom Hoodoobly Bla Bla .... Just a plain old Savage that can handle a muddy dog paw and some spilt coffe on it! 😉 IMOP, if your rifle cant take that kind of minor abuse and Stihl shoot straight? Or has to be treated like a violin? You might as well be hunting with a boat anchor! 👍 Just say'n fellas! 😉
View attachment 1016138View attachment 1016139
Back in 2002 - 2004 I sold quite a few of the Savage Police Sniper Rifle packages to gun dealers. I was a sales rep for a gun wholesaler in Mass. They really liked those sniper rifles in .308.

Back in 2002 - 2004 I sold quite a few of the Savage Police Sniper Rifle packages to gun dealers. I was a sales rep for a gun wholesaler in Mass. They really liked those sniper rifles in .308.
Yeah, Savages really are great rifles! 👍 And a fellow just can't beat the price! IMOP, I don't care what any one says. I've never seen one shot, or shot one my self that wasn't consistent and accurate. I have a fair amount of higher end rifles in my gun locker, and I like my Savages just the same! A rifle dosent have to be expensive to be reliable and accurate! 👍 Not at all! Also, Savage hasn't sold out to foreign Asian manufacturing either. Their made right here in the good ol US of A! 🇺🇸

The Ruger American Rifle (that I am building) is very similar to the Savage rifles ... low cost, good trigger, synthetic stock that reduces recoil well, and barrel nut barrels. I'm looking to build an accurate, rugged, hunting rifle, not a collectible!

There are some newer powders (like CFE 223) that provide more velocity to several calibers. The Hodgdon site is a good source for information:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

When you first mentioned having "Ash" I thought you meant the tree, not actual Ash!!!
I thought the same thing Mike.
I've noticed the ash here are really coming back well. Some just bushed out at the base, also seeing many trees that are in the 10-15' area, and even some of the damaged trees taking off again.

Velocities from a 338-06 with 200 grain bullets are generally from 2,600 to 2,800 FPS. H-380 and CFE 223 seem to be two of the better powders for this cartridge, but it I want to go with light loads I have a LOT of fast burning H-335.

The Nosler site also shows IMR 4350 powder, but lighter bullets result in too much of a compressed charge. The Nosler site shows lower velocities for the same loads, but shows a 225 grain at 2,575 FPS.

The Ruger American Rifle (that I am building) is very similar to the Savage rifles ... low cost, good trigger, synthetic stock that reduces recoil well, and barrel nut barrels. I'm looking to build an accurate, rugged, hunting rifle, not a collectible!

There are some newer powders (like CFE 223) that provide more velocity to several calibers. The Hodgdon site is a good source for information:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center
Very nice! Yeah my good friend has a Ruger American in 06 he really likes it. I thought it was a Savage before I took a closer look, because of the accutrigger style system the Ruger American has also adopted. Not the smoothest or most crisp of triggers. However, they work just fine for me.👍

I'm putting up new railings for the porch, deck and balcony. Turns out I needed chisel point finish nails for the DeWalt finish nailer , the regular finish nails were coming out the side of the balusters. I was going to use the old balusters but they were to dry and the nails came out the side. Now I need to get rid of the old wood and I hate to do it but the wood boiler will be fine. No close neighbors to smoke out.
Our propane company decided to screw us but no free chocolate or flowers. The going State price is around $3.79 but they are charging us $4.59. They delivered it on Friday, 150 gallons, not sure why they are over the state average when normally they are under that. Phone call on Monday because I am not paying them that, I'll offer $3.00 and negotiate from there. I own the tank and I'll remind them I can Buy from any company I want. This is why I have a wood boiler.

All this gun talk reminds me why I like fall. :innocent:
One of the most difficult tracking jobs I ever did was the first deer I got with the bow, would have been a beautiful 8 point if one antler were not broken.

It was about 1/2 hour before dark and it started to rain. It went about 150 yds.

I'm trying to find a blood trail, and since the plastic fletching did not exit right away, the blood trail was scarce, and ALL of the leaves on the ground had red blood spots on them (but most were not real blood).

I had to pick up each leaf and rub it between my fingers to see if it was blood or just a red spot!

The Buck went downhill to a swamp and a stream, and the blood sign just stopped! I could not tell if he crossed the stream or not.

I searched, and searched, and searched and eventually found him. He made a 90* left at the stream and went about another 50 yds before piling into some thick brush.

I can't tell you how relieved I was to finally find him!

Attachments

• BowBuck1983.jpg
    BowBuck1983.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 0
Yes! Tungsten Carbide cutters. Very expensive and very hard to tune once dulled

Kolve chain did not have carbide teeth, but ‘Y’-shaped scoring teeth, in addition to traditional cutters. This is similar in some ways to specialty ripping chain. There were a few different variations / configurations of it.

C1B90647-756D-43CF-B861-C9A249D3D614.jpeg

More images in the referenced thread.
Philbert

Back